CHL Renewal Reports

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CHL Renewal Reports

Post by JustaShooter »

D_Weezy wrote:I checked the Ohio Revised Code and it states exactly what you said they asked you for on a 1st renewal, "application, old license, drivers license and $50.00". I just want to know why my Sherriffs Office is trying to charge me $60.00?
Hard to say - take a copy of the ORC with you, and ask them. They should not be charging you anything different than what the ORC specifies.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
D_Weezy

Post by D_Weezy »

JustaShooter wrote:
D_Weezy wrote:I checked the Ohio Revised Code and it states exactly what you said they asked you for on a 1st renewal, "application, old license, drivers license and $50.00". I just want to know why my Sherriffs Office is trying to charge me $60.00?
Hard to say - take a copy of the ORC with you, and ask them. They should not be charging you anything different than what the ORC specifies.
Too late. I caved in and paid the $60.00 like a punk :(. I see that some people are paying $55.00. What is with the varied prices being charged by the different Sherriff's Offices accross the state? I guess they are just trying to get the extra money back that I was waved in paying the first time I got my license ($25.00) :). We got a new Sherriff since then. They said the new license will be mailed out to me as soon as the backround check goes through. Let's see how long it takes. The first time it was 4 days.
Never give an answer, unless asked a question.
trent
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by trent »

Logan County.
My 2nd renewal.
Took in renewal app on 9-13-13. All went normal.
Was told that I should hear from them in 3 weeks.
It will be 4 weeks tomorrow.
Haven't heard a thing.
Sheriff's website CCW info area has been "under construction" for months, maybe years, so no help there.
Don't want to call and bug them.
License expires in 2 weeks.
Good luck to you all.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Lucas County: Trip downtown Toledo to the sheriff's dept, spent 17 minutes inside getting printed, picture taken, ect. Got a call less than 2 weeks later, went back downtown to pick it up. Very smooth and hassle-free.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
trent
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by trent »

Duhhh me....My mistake. 8-3-13 not 9-13-13.
trent
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by trent »

Forgot to post this until now....
Finally got my second renewal on 9-7-13.
No problem.
Deputy very friendly and professional.
As of today 11-3-13 the Sheriff's dept. CCW permits webpage still says "Under Construction".
trent
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by trent »

trent wrote:Logan County.
My 2nd renewal.
Took in renewal app on 9-13-13. All went normal.
Was told that I should hear from them in 3 weeks.
It will be 4 weeks tomorrow.
Haven't heard a thing.
Sheriff's website CCW info area has been "under construction" for months, maybe years, so no help there.
Don't want to call and bug them.
License expires in 2 weeks.
Good luck to you all.
Duhhh me....My mistake. 8-3-13 not 9-13-13.
85Jeeper

Post by 85Jeeper »

I'll have to give Miami Co. a big KUDOS for stepping up their game. This was my first renewal and I was told time frame was 1- 1 1/2 weeks. I thought that was pretty good since it took me 45 days the last time(initial) and I've read all the long wait horror stories in the past.

I went in last Tuesday to renew a little early and even got in early. Nice lady and in & out. Keep in mind that Thursday was thanksgiving day, but I was blown away when I got the call to come get it Friday morning. :D

Hopefully it's the same for everyone in Miami and we can get rid of the bad rap we had on time frames.
xanth

Post by xanth »

So, FINALLY received an Ohio CCW! I've had a Utah one for going on 4 years now. When I went to apply for my Ohio one 4 years ago, they were not letting Active Duty Military get one, unless you had an Ohio DL. Well, didn't want an Ohio DL (I like keeping my Alaska Drivers License).

Anyways, Ohio since changed their laws, allowing Active Duty to get a CCW permit. Since I'm stationed here, I'm a resident of Ohio even without an Ohio DL (Yea, that confuses a lot of people!).

Utah permit is coming due, so figured I'd finally get an Ohio one.

Turned in the paperwork on Monday to Montgomery County. And got a call today, it was ready! 3 days (and one of those being Christmas) Wow! Talk about being shocked! Montgomery Count Sherrifs office was awesome to me. So, now I finally have Ohio CCW, even without a Ohio DL. :mrgreen:
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

xanth wrote:So, FINALLY received an Ohio CCW! I've had a Utah one for going on 4 years now. When I went to apply for my Ohio one 4 years ago, they were not letting Active Duty Military get one, unless you had an Ohio DL. Well, didn't want an Ohio DL (I like keeping my Alaska Drivers License).

Anyways, Ohio since changed their laws, allowing Active Duty to get a CCW permit. Since I'm stationed here, I'm a resident of Ohio even without an Ohio DL (Yea, that confuses a lot of people!).

Utah permit is coming due, so figured I'd finally get an Ohio one.

Turned in the paperwork on Monday to Montgomery County. And got a call today, it was ready! 3 days (and one of those being Christmas) Wow! Talk about being shocked! Montgomery Count Sherrifs office was awesome to me. So, now I finally have Ohio CCW, even without a Ohio DL. :mrgreen:
Congratulations, I am confused. Did you have to take the Ohio CCW course or did accept your Permit as proof of training?
I was unaware that Ohio was allowing Active Duty to get "Permits"?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
xanth

Post by xanth »

Hmm... I guess that was a bit confusing.

Utah CCW is a permit, Ohio CCW is a license...

4 years ago, an Ohio DL was a requirement to get a CCW license (if I remember correctly). Active Duty military are considered residents of the state they are stationed in (for different purposes, purchasing a firearm is one of those purposes), no matter what state their drivers license is from.

Ohio has since changed the requirement for an Ohio DL for military. It's a requirement for the vast majority of applications, however, AD military do not have to have a Ohio DL if they are stationed in Ohio (hence, granting residency)

Yes, I took the Ohio CCW course, they did not accept the Utah permit, though they will accept military firearms training in lieu of the CCW course.
turkeyhunter

Post by turkeyhunter »

1st renewal, Franklin county...24 hours 8)
inlinehockey

Post by inlinehockey »

Greene County:

1st renewal with a turn around of 25 days. Not great but not too bad either.
fisher3

Post by fisher3 »

First renewal in Warren County. Appointment was about 1 week out. It could have been earlier but my wife and I wanted back to back appointments. We walked out with the new license. May 30 minutes after the time we arrived.
iceollie12

Post by iceollie12 »

First renewal at Warren County. Called, could have gone in that day just 2 hours after my call, but I personally wasn't available. Basically I told them when I wanted to come - I called on a Thursday, went in on Monday. Got there today early, waited in the parking lot for 20 minutes, went in 10 minutes early. They got me in there fast, I waited probably 3 minutes in a chair to be called after checking in, 5-7 minutes to get my new CHL/fingerprint, then I was out of there. I looked at the clock, I was pulling out 3 minutes after my appointment was originally scheduled to start. I was pretty darn happy about that.

A++ for Warren County.

ETA: No passport photos required, just completed application (don't need to fill out historical address lis), old CHL, state-issued ID, and the $50.
NRA Life Member
OFCC Member
Member, Fairfield Sportsmen's Association

"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved." - Confucius