Hamilton County-Renewal

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rsturm

Hamilton County-Renewal

Post by rsturm »

I called the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office on 1/15 for an appointment to begin the renewal process. I was offered a choice of time slots on the 16th and 17th. I made an appointment for the 17th, and arrived about 15 minutes early. The person handling the license process called me in after only a five minute wait. Counting the time for reviewing the application, taking a digital photo , and getting fingerprinted, I was finished in less than 20 minutes. (The longest wait was for finger-printing bacause a number of folks getting day care licenses showed up to get their prints taken.)They'll call when the license is ready. The original license took two days; be interested to see how long this time given to number of fingerprint checks being sent to BCI.

Two key comments:

1. They said that I was the first renewal application they'd seen, and almost missed that it was a renewal, not an original license. Be sure remind folks that it is a renewal because, at least in Hamillton County, your renewal will have the same license number as your original.

2. I had heard four years ago that Hamilton County was less than friendly to CCW. My experience been that folks are friendly, efficient, helpful and timely in their dealings with applicants and in the processing of the applications. As I noted earlier, the time, from application to license issuance was two days at a time when they were just setting up the process four years ago. The "by-appointment " rule really is not a barrier. Appointments are not hard to get, and they avoid arriving at the office and finding that 10 people have arrived just ahead of you. It is assure you that you'll spend a minimal amount of time getting your application handled.

net, I've been pleased with how Hamilton County handles CHL applications.
WBL_2006

Post by WBL_2006 »

Glad to hear it.

I'll be there in 2010.

WBL
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

rsturm, what (exactly) did you take with you to complete the process? For example, did you need your original competency certificate, or was a photocopy sufficient?

Thanks!
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
rsturm

Post by rsturm »

JAB:

I took a photocopy of my training certificate, my CHL, my DL, a passport photo, and my completed but unsigned application.

They checked the app to be sure it was complete, pasted the picture on it, had me sign it, and stapled the photocopy of the training certificate to it. They then had me sign a permission for them to run the background check and sent me to get fingerprinted.

RS
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Thanks; I've got about 45 days before the renewal window opens up for me, and I think I'm going to stick with renewing in Hamilton County as that's where my license was issued.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Basicly the Renewal is the same as the Original except you need to checkmark the "Renewal" box.
I am wondering if the new experation date is the same as the original experation date or if it is projected from you renewal date?
Do I loose two months by renewing two months early?
Last edited by Cruiser on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Cruiser wrote:Basicly the Renewal is the same as the Renweal except you need to checkmark the "Renewal" box.
I am wondering if the new experation date is the same as the original experation date or if it is projected from you renewal date?
Do I loose two months by renewing two months early?
2923.125 states "A renewed license that is renewed on or after the effective date of this amendment shall expire five years after the date of issuance."

I figure it's worth losing a couple months just to be ahead of the game and not lost in a flurry of other renewals.
--
elderboy02

Post by elderboy02 »

Could anyone tell me why they fingerprint you twice? It is not like they change.
OFCC Member, Ohio CHL holder, NRA Life Member, AR15.com Life Member.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

elderboy02:

CYA, I think.... Trying to be sure that you're the same person who applied the first time....

It's also a "tickler" - maybe something has wandered into "the system" since last time....

The whole process is, IMHO, nonsense, except that it gives a hopefully observant Deputy a chance to be sure that you're not high, and gives the folks who wish to mine the Sheriff's parking lot another shot at your car....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

As mentioned before.
Basically the Renewal is exactly the same as the Original Application except you need to checkmark the "Renewal" box.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Cruiser wrote:As mentioned before.
Basically the Renewal is exactly the same as the Original Application except you need to checkmark the "Renewal" box.
I think we're all pretty aware of how it should be done... but some of us in Hamilton County were kind of interested in how it is being done.
--
Scavok

Post by Scavok »

jabeatty wrote:
Cruiser wrote:As mentioned before.
I think we're all pretty aware of how it should be done... but some of us in Hamilton County were kind of interested in how it is being done.
Kinda like voting...
My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Oh, oh! When one renews they must present their competency certificate? I don't know where ours are (filing system from chaos). Well, I have 2+ years to find them. I'll keep an eye out for them :)

I would have thought that if you have the original license, that would be evidence that you had already passed the competency course.

Ken
The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
mreising

Post by mreising »

OhioPaints wrote:Oh, oh! When one renews they must present their competency certificate? I don't know where ours are (filing system from chaos). Well, I have 2+ years to find them. I'll keep an eye out for them :)

I would have thought that if you have the original license, that would be evidence that you had already passed the competency course.

Ken
They need the competency certificate again because it is only good for 6 years. Some people took acceptable courses several years before the law, those people may have expired certificates. Better find yours and make copies that you can take to the sheriff. Do not let them keep your original. IF you don't have the cert anymore, contract your instructor to see if they have records on which they can issue you a new one.

FWIW, the NRA does not sell certificates to instructors, one must buy the entire student pack just to get another certificate.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
logos

Post by logos »

elderboy02 wrote:Could anyone tell me why they fingerprint you twice? It is not like they change.
It is my understanding that they are not permitted to keep the prints, or any of the other things you were required to submit.
(B) If a criminal records check and an incompetency records check conducted under division (A) of this section do not indicate that the applicant fails to meet the criteria described in division (D)(1) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, except as otherwise provided in this division, the sheriff shall destroy or cause a designated employee to destroy all records other than the application for a license to carry a concealed handgun, the application to renew a license to carry a concealed handgun, or the affidavit submitted regarding an application for a temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun that were made in connection with the criminal records check and incompetency records check within twenty days after conducting the criminal records check and incompetency records check.