Franklin County Sheriff's Office

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jwrobbs

Franklin County Sheriff's Office

Post by jwrobbs »

23 hours: from turning in paperwork to "Hey, come get your card." they were very polite, too. A+

Downtown Columbus Parking: F
My suggestion: Bring a buddy. Have them do laps while you turn in your paperwork/pick up your card. Neither event should take you more than 15 minutes.

EDIT: In state.
Last edited by jwrobbs on Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacksnack

Post by jacksnack »

I got mine in 2 days. That was after I needed to submit "manual" card and ink fingerprints.
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

Yep, parking is my only grip about the Franklin County CCW office.

The first time I went I had to park way way down high street in a free parking zone and it was a good 10 minute walk back to the CCW office. The second time I remembered to bring change for the meter but I still ended up with a pretty good walk to the office.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

That's great, mine was 7 days, which is still good - but they must have made some changes at the CCW office.

If you happen to be going downtown to park, there is a garage just to the east of the CCW office. You just have to ride the elevator to the ground floor and walk around the corner. I didn't know it was there until a few months ago. I always parked at the common pleas court garage, which is awful.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
jwrobbs

Post by jwrobbs »

i haven't been to that area of down town in ages. I was expecting to part to the NW of the office, but it's literally a hole right now.
Rights are given by God and guaranteed by guns.
MikeACP

Post by MikeACP »

24 hrs for me. Really nice folks there too.
sts47

Post by sts47 »

when I got mine, they had been running my background for various employers, I was called back a few hours after paying.
The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.
The pen might not be mightier than the sword, but maybe the printing press was heavier than the siege weapon. Just a few words can change everything.
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.
BandanaMan

Re: Franklin County Sheriff's Office

Post by BandanaMan »

jwrobbs wrote:23 hours: from turning in paperwork to "Hey, come get your card." they were very polite, too. A+

Downtown Columbus Parking: F
My suggestion: Bring a buddy. Have them do laps while you turn in your paperwork/pick up your card. Neither event should take you more than 15 minutes.

EDIT: In state.
I just had the same experience with the Franklin County Sheriff's Office, 23 hour turn around from start to finish issued CHL!

Overall a very good experience with Franklin County!
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
osu_springer

Post by osu_springer »

Just got my permit today. Submitted the application on 12/31, called on 1/10. Not too bad turnaround time compared to some of the other counties.
jwrobbs

Post by jwrobbs »

RE: osu_springer

They were probably distracted by the then-upcoming OSU game.
Rights are given by God and guaranteed by guns.
osu_springer

Post by osu_springer »

Yeah, weren't we all? Also, having submitted right before a holiday was a bad idea as well, but class schedules just don't always allow for convenient timing. Glad to be licensed now though. Especially with the recent apparent break-in and shooting on E 18th and Dora (not too far from campus).
lowpass21

Post by lowpass21 »

Finally got mine too through Franklin county. 2 week turn around to the day, including weekends. This included the FBI check since I haven't lived here more than 3 years. Considering that, I was happy with the time frame, compared to the 45 days at some counties.

While there I was questioned as to why I went to that office, instead of the one I reside in. Maybe they are getting overloaded since they seem to be the quicker route, and don't want to get flooded. I had it explained that whichever county you receive your license from, not where you live, is where you need to renew it. For me it doesn't matter since it's just as long of a drive to either place.

1st time to submit application took about 15 minutes. Picking up took 1 minute. It is true about the parking, it's slim pickins. However, I scored both times and found places relatively quick. For the 2nd visit, near a busy light, a guy was just leaving and even had 35 minutes left on the meter. It was a race though, whether he'd get moving before the light changed.
ARC0112358

Post by ARC0112358 »

Got mine Tuesday from FrankCo - it took 22 hours. Not overly polite - but that's OK - they were all about TCB.
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

ARC0112358 wrote:Got mine Tuesday from FrankCo - it took 22 hours. Not overly polite - but that's OK - they were all about TCB.
Thats funny, the guys in the office were super nice to me. I even forgot to bring cash and they told me there was an ATM across the street and waited for me to go get cash.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
jacksnack

Post by jacksnack »

ARC0112358 wrote:Got mine Tuesday from FrankCo - it took 22 hours. Not overly polite - but that's OK - they were all about TCB.
They were very friendly. Honestly, I think they want the business.

I send everyone IN know to Franklin County from Licking.