Do I Qualify?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

randnm_task

Do I Qualify?

Post by randnm_task »

Hello all, I'm new to this. I currently open carry and would like to see if I qualify for a CHL or what can I do to qualify myself. I hate having to disarm myself when getting into my vehicle and a CHL would prevent this. My charges are as follows,

-2925.11 POSS of DRUGS Date 10.25.07
-2917.11 DISORDERLY COND Date 2.11.11
-2923.12 CCW Date 5.04.09

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Do I Qualify?

Post by cashman966 »

Save your money. At this point the drug conviction is a lifetime disqualifier.
(D)(1) Except as provided in division (D)(3) or (4) of this section, within forty-five days after a sheriff's receipt of an applicant's completed application form for a concealed handgun license under this section, the supporting documentation, and, if not waived, the license fee, the sheriff shall make available through the law enforcement automated data system in accordance with division (H) of this section the information described in that division and, upon making the information available through the system, shall issue to the applicant a concealed handgun license that shall expire as described in division (D)(2)(a) of this section if all of the following apply:

(e) Except as otherwise provided in division (D)(5) of this section, the applicant has not been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a felony or an offense under Chapter 2925., 3719., or 4729. of the Revised Code that involves the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, or distribution of or trafficking in a drug of abuse; has not been adjudicated a delinquent child for committing an act that if committed by an adult would be a felony or would be an offense under Chapter 2925., 3719., or 4729. of the Revised Code that involves the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, or distribution of or trafficking in a drug of abuse; and has not been convicted of, pleaded guilty to, or adjudicated a delinquent child for committing a violation of section 2903.13 of the Revised Code when the victim of the violation is a peace officer, regardless of whether the applicant was sentenced under division (C)(4) of that section.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
randnm_task

Post by randnm_task »

What about expungement?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

randnm_task wrote:What about expungement?
You've had three seperate offenses, therefore you are not eligible for expungment.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Actually, what was the D.C.? Was it a minor misdemeanor? If so that does not court toward the maximum two limit.

Some good info can be found here: Ohio Criminal Records Manual
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
randnm_task

Post by randnm_task »

The DC was a minor misdemeanor
randnm_task

Post by randnm_task »

So was the poss of drugs, which probably doesnt matter. The only guilty conviction on my record that is a misdemeanor is the CCW.
randnm_task

Post by randnm_task »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Actually, what was the D.C.? Was it a minor misdemeanor? If so that does not court toward the maximum two limit.

Well according to this I can seal my records because I only have been convicted of 1 misdemeanor offense and in no way do any minor misdemeanors disqualify you from sealing a record. So now I guess the question is does the CCW disqualify me from applying for a CHL? According to the ORC (d) The applicant is not under indictment for or otherwise charged with a felony; an offense under Chapter 2925., 3719., or 4729. of the Revised Code that involves the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, or distribution of or trafficking in a drug of abuse; a misdemeanor offense of violence; or a violation of section 2903.14 or 2923.1211 of the Revised Code.

My CCW charge is described as 2923.12 not 2923.1211
BobK

Post by BobK »

randnm_task wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:Actually, what was the D.C.? Was it a minor misdemeanor? If so that does not court toward the maximum two limit.

Well according to this I can seal my records
Then do so.

It costs about $50 in filing fees and doesn't even require an attorney.

There are other discussion threads in these forums where people discussed how they sealed their records. Use the search function.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?