North Olmsted law director tells council "don't do it"

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

North Olmsted law director tells council "don't do it"

Post by rickt »

Yay. North Olmsted's law director did his job and told council "no local gun laws".

The school board had passed a resolution asking the city to pass a law regulating firearm storage. Here's the relevant part:
WHEREAS, the City of Seattle, Washington recently introduced a local ordinance related to the safe storage of and access to firearms, and proposed civil fines under certain conditions to any person who fails to properly secure his or her firearms;

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, on June 20, 2018, the Board of Education of the North Olmsted City School District requests that, while recognizing the constitution and laws of the United States and the State of Ohio, the North Olmsted City Council and/ or City Administration consider a comparable local ordinance or legislation regarding the safe storage of and access to firearms and/ or the reporting of lost or stolen firearms, and any other actions deemed appropriate under those or analogous pieces of legislation.
When I found out about this I contacted my councilwoman who replied in part:
Our law director did extensive research and prepared a legal memorandum regarding the subject. The result is, as you already stated, the city is unable to provide legislation on the subject as it is in direct conflict with state law.
I was prepared to campaign against this in council meetings if this had gone forward.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: North Olmsted law director tells council "don't do it"

Post by sodbuster95 »

...while recognizing the constitution and laws of the United States and the State of Ohio...
Recognizing...just not respecting.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

So what do you think they are teaching the children and young adults in this school district?
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Why is the school board even wasting tax dollars on this kind of nonsense? Perhaps they need to stay in their own lane and worry about educational and administrative matters directly related to the schools under their control.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.