Worthington wants to overturn OFCC v Clyde

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Worthington wants to overturn OFCC v Clyde

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Anyone available to attend the Worthington City Council meeting that is scheduled for 7:30 PM on Monday, May 7th ???

The President Pro-Tem of council, who happens to also be AN ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL is trying to get council to send this letter "on behalf of the citizens of Worthington". At least one Worthington citizen doesn't want the letter sent, talked to Ohio Carry and got forwarded to me.

Here is the text of the letter. I do NOT have an original copy, just the text forwarded to me.

DRAFT

The Honorable Mike Duffey
Ohio House of Representatives
77 S. High Street, 13th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215

The Honorable Stephanie Kunze
Ohio Senate
1 Capital Square, 1st Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215

Dear Representative Duffey,

In an age of increasing violence and animosity amongst people, sometimes we must
remind ourselves that as elected officials our primary goal is to protect the health, safety and
welfare of those who put us in positions of leadership. This is one of those times.

In this year alone there have been 58 mass shootings, 694 police involved shootings
resulting in the death of 71 uniformed officers and 917 children killed, all from gun violence1.
1 Gun Violence Archive, 2018. http://www.gunviolencearchive.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

As the elected leaders of Worthington, we take an oath to uphold the Constitution of the
United States. We therefore, acknowledge the right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear
arms as set forth in the Second Amendment. However, the right to bear arms is not limitless.

In the seminal case of D.C. v. Heller2, Justice Scalia acknowledged that the right to bear
arms was not absolute. He wrote the right is “not a right to keep and carry any weapon
whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.” Heller at 626. More
recently, last term the Supreme Court denied jurisdiction in a case involving an assault style
weapons ban and just last week the United States District Court of the District of Massachusetts
upheld a state ban on assault style weapons and large capacity magazines.3 In so holding the
Court wrote “The AR-15 and its analogs, along with large capacity magazines, are simply not
weapons within the original meaning of the individual constitutional right to "bear Arms." In
fact Congress itself passed a ban on assault weapons in 1994 only to have it expire of its own
terms. Accordingly, reasonable, fair gun control legislation is not a matter of law but rather of
political will.
2 District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 128 S.Ct. 2783, 171 L.Ed. 2d 637 (2008)
3 Worman v. Healey, 2018 U.S. Dist. Lexis 59357 (U.S. Dist. Mass. 2018)

Given this backdrop and at the urging of our constituents, we, the elected representatives
of the Citizens of Worthington, ask that you take meaningful steps to enact responsible,
reasonable gun control legislation. Specifically we ask:
•For the ban of assault style weapons such as the AR-15. Of the ten deadliest shootings
over the last decade, seven involved the use of assault style weapons.
•A prohibition on the sale of high-capacity magazines. States that ban such magazines
have half as many shootings involving three of more victims as states that allow them.
•Require universal background checks for the purchase of guns eliminating the “gunshow”
loophole. 97% of Americans support such action.
•Enacting a red flag law that will allow weapons to be confiscated from individuals
exhibiting defined warning signs until the individual can show-cause why the weapons
should be returned.

If the General Assembly is unwilling or unable to advance this simple request then at a
minimum appreciate that not all citizens support an unfettered right to carry any type of weapon
in any place at any time and restore each city’s ability to carry out the wishes of their
constituents by amending R.C. 9.86 and legislatively overturning Ohioans for Concealed Carry
v. Clyde. The citizens of Worthington see no reason why it is necessary or permissible for an
individual to openly carry an AR-15 into a Worthington Park where our children play. However,
that is precisely what Ohio law currently allows. It is our responsibility to speak not only for the
rights of law abiding gun owners but also for those who believe that reasonable restrictions are
both appropriate and necessary.

We therefore, ask for your support in advancing reasonable, rational, fair gun control
legislation.

Respectfully,

On Behalf The Citizens of Worthington
By:_____________________________
Bonnie Michael
President
Worthington City Counsel
MyWifeSaidYes
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Worthington wants to overturn OFCC v Clyde

Post by qmti »

I wonder how many "Citizens of Worthington" have approached the counsel on this issue or is Bonnie Michael looking to forwarding her own political views and gains.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

There are councilpersons in towns near Cincinnati who will try to follow the legislative example set by their big city counterparts. Something my parents often called "Monkey see, monkey do".

It sounds like Worthington has a councilmonkey on its hands.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

If he really wants ORC 9.86 (sic) repealed or amended I'd gladly support that. In fact, I think it's a fine place to start to start bringing some accountability to our public officials who fail to otherwise follow the law. Be careful what you wish for guy.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Where on Earth did they get those stats????

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/25/of ... -2018.html

As of three days ago: "Since the start of 2018, at least 33 law enforcement officers across the U.S. have died while on duty -- with 21 of the deaths caused by gunfire."

That's considerably different than "In this year alone there have been 58 mass shootings, 694 police involved shootings
resulting in the death of 71 uniformed officers and 917 children killed, all from gun violence."
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

One of the ad hoc speakers brought this up last Saturday. I think his last name was Dorsey. He had a sign with a website and was looking for Worthington residents to help. I don't remember the website URL.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sounds like the guy.

His name is Paul Dorothy and he set up a page on the Book of Face:

https://www.facebook.com/WorthingtonGoodGovernment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He reached out to me on FB Messenger, but I haven't heard back from him.

From what I've found, his wife is a Democrat on the city council but he is registered as a Libertarian. Don't know her position on this letter.

Found a phone # that should be his and left a message.

Can't get the minutes from the 4/16 council meeting because they only meet on the first 3 Mondays of the month, so the minutes won't be approved until the next meeting on 5/7. The agenda for 4/16 DOES list discussing the letter, includes a copy of the letter (page 50-52) AND a copy of the Ohio Municipal League Legislative Bulletin that lists several firearms bills in front of the OGA.

4/16 agenda: http://www.worthington.org/ArchiveCente ... /Item/2597" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I whole heartly endorse letting it go forward if they are that stupid to misquote law, and their ''supporting'' facts. In fact I would suggest it be hurried.
Perhaps if luck prevails, it has already been sent. If not at the next meeting ( I am reaching way way back to parl. procedure class here) call the question and demand a vote to be sent as written. Then contact the exact same Reps for comment, etc.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

AlanM wrote:Where on Earth did they get those stats????

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/25/of ... -2018.html

As of three days ago: "Since the start of 2018, at least 33 law enforcement officers across the U.S. have died while on duty -- with 21 of the deaths caused by gunfire."

That's considerably different than "In this year alone there have been 58 mass shootings, 694 police involved shootings
resulting in the death of 71 uniformed officers and 917 children killed, all from gun violence."

Hey, anti's have learned the "fake it till you make it" policy. It is what they almost always do...or refer to Mother Jones stats.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark