Barberton, OH ordinance

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
bamafan7

Barberton, OH ordinance

Post by bamafan7 »

1068.05 RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES.
Except by the authority of public officers having charge of a park, no person shall:
(d) Hunting and Firearms. Hunt, trap or pursue wildlife at any time or use, carry or possess firearms of any description, air rifles, spring guns, bow and arrows, slings, any other form of weapon potentially inimical to wildlife and dangerous to human safety, any instrument that can be loaded with fire blank cartridges or any kind of trapping device, nor shall any person shoot into park areas from beyond park boundaries

There is an upcoming 2A Open Carry Walk in Barberton, OH on May 5th @ 1:00pm and the organizer was informed by Barberton PD a couple weeks ago that firearms were not permitted in Lake Anna Park. As many have pointed out, this is in violation of state law and needs to be addressed accordingly. Today, the organizer received an update from the PD that they will not be enforcing the ordinance and that participants are now permitted to enter Lake Anna Park during the walk.

Perhaps they realize their ordinance is in violation of state law? It still doesn't change the city ordinance.
"We must all fear evil men. But, there is another kind of evil which we must fear most…and that is the indifference of good men."
Brian D.

Re: Barberton, OH ordinance

Post by Brian D. »

Rattle their Law Director's chain too.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Some group is having an open carry walk up there on May 5
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
bamafan7

Post by bamafan7 »

Chuck wrote:Some group is having an open carry walk up there on May 5
Yeah, I mentioned that 8)
"We must all fear evil men. But, there is another kind of evil which we must fear most…and that is the indifference of good men."
bamafan7

Post by bamafan7 »

Brian D. wrote:Rattle their Law Director's chain too.
Are there any form letters out there?
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Is this an antique never noticed local reg, or, something they enacted more recently like posting signs etc
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bamafan7

Post by bamafan7 »

WhyNot wrote:Is this an antique never noticed local reg, or, something they enacted more recently like posting signs etc
In guessing so. I see no signs looking on Google Street View.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Call the police non-emergency number, tell them you're going to the park with a rifle slung over your shoulder, then do just that.

Okay, don't do that. That's what I do.

No, there aren't any good form letters because each city/village/park/fairground/etc. is different.

Contact the Law Director. If the Law Director won't speak to you, then contact EACH member of city council.

Politely inform them that their ordinance is in violation of Ohio Revised Code 9.68 and you would like council to remove the phrase "firearms of any description" to prevent the city from being sued.

YOU aren't going to sue the city, and you don't know WHO might sue the city, but it is a liability that could cause your tax dollars to be wasted on an unnecessary court case...and THAT affects you and all the other citizens of Barberton.
MyWifeSaidYes
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

That particular piece of city code was enacted in 1971.

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway. ... lt.htm$3.0

Search for 1068 then click on 1068.05.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
bamafan7

Post by bamafan7 »

UPDATE:

There's an article in the Barberton Herald paper that says the law director will be presenting legislation to city council to ammend the unconstitutional ordinance.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Had you contacted the law director yet?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
bamafan7

Post by bamafan7 »

JustaShooter wrote:Had you contacted the law director yet?
No. I don't believe anyone has. Seems as though officials were following along on the event and saw our comments/concerns regarding the ordinance.