Ohio Fair Managers Association presentation

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
xpd54

Ohio Fair Managers Association presentation

Post by xpd54 »

I was asked to do a presentation on firearm laws impacting fairs during the OFMA’s yearly conference. The session had a good turnout. Standing room only. I’d say 95% of the crowd raised their hands when I asked who had their CHL.

We talked about 9.68, preemption, lawsuits and how to avoid them and what fair boards can and cannot legally do in regards to legally armed citizens at fairs. I only had @50 minutes so I crammed a bunch of info in and answered some questions.

There were quite a few that were interested in finding out how to change the rules (under SB 199 changes) so they can allow carry into fair buildings.

I’ve been asked to come back next year to speak again.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Ohio Fair Managers Association presentation

Post by Javelin Man »

Well done and thank you for presenting the side of legal carrying.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Great work! I hope they act on keeping that signage down all across Ohio. Maybe they should just toss the things away and not ever order more?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Thank you!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
AV8TOR

Post by AV8TOR »

Well done xp
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

They have asked me to come back and speak again. If you know of specific counties that are still in violation of 9.68, please let me know. Also let me know if there have been any other fair related issues.

Thanks
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

What is the timing and are the forums the only way folks can contact you on this?

( I may be copying lots of private messages)

Thanks!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

First weekend in January. I’ll happily supply my email via PM if you want.

My Blog
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote:Great work! I hope they act on keeping that signage down all across Ohio. Maybe they should just toss the things away and not ever order more?
You can "hope", but don't hold your breath.

"Tossing the signs" would be WAY to easy
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

xpd54 wrote:

There were quite a few that were interested in finding out how to change the rules (under SB 199 changes) so they can allow carry into fair buildings.
Could the Fair Managers designate the building as "Primarily Shelters" or "Primarily Restrooms"?
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Suckerspawn wrote:
xpd54 wrote:

Could the Fair Managers designate the building as "Primarily Shelters" or "Primarily Restrooms"?
First check the definitions as to whether the buildings fall into the government facility category. If not, only removal of the signs is necessary.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

xpd54 wrote:First weekend in January. I’ll happily supply my email via PM if you want.
I put it on Facebook and we have about a half dozen in eight hours.

So go ahead and PM that email address if you want
Ain't activism fun?

xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

Chuck wrote:
xpd54 wrote:First weekend in January. I’ll happily supply my email via PM if you want.
I put it on Facebook and we have about a half dozen in eight hours.

So go ahead and PM that email address if you want
PM sent

My Blog
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

The presentation went well. I had quite a few discussions with fair board members who were interested in getting CCW approved in the fair buildings as well. All in all, the folks who attended the presentation appeared to be pro gun folks. There were a couple of fairs that have already approved CCW in the buildings. I can’t remember which ones though. I talked to a lot of people.

I’ll be honest though, while updating the presentation I have come to believe that the new version of 2923.1212 is worse than what we had before. The new version says they must post signs “in the premises” and does not specifically say on the buildings. Well, “premises” used elsewhere in the ORC includes the whole property, not just the buildings.
...shall post in one or more conspicuous locations “in the premises” a sign....
I think the current version of the law does a better job of specifying exactly where the signs should go.

And yes, I think the whole signage thing is stupid and should go away.

My Blog
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Just to bring this discussion up again, the Fair Board Assoc. should be made aware of the changes in law, (not that it's OUR job to tell them), sos they don't get sued over their signage and or policies, now that it's worth taking them to court.

I will be contacting Stark co. this year about their signage on their fences.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".