"No firearms" sign in Gahanna at Creekside...?

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
xBuckeyex

"No firearms" sign in Gahanna at Creekside...?

Post by xBuckeyex »

Image attached. This was on the walkways at Creekside in Gahanna this evening. I can't imagine this is legal even if one of the 3 restaurants was letting people walk with alcohol on the sidewalk. To that point I can't even say if that was the case as we didn't see that happening.

https://i.redd.it/hocexd184fcz.jpg
Brian D.

Re: "No firearms" sign in Gahanna at Creekside...?

Post by Brian D. »

What is Creekside, exactly? I see the sign is from Gahanna Parks & Recreation; except for certain park buildings, they can't legally ban firearms.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

On a personal note, I would have been sorely tempted to toss that sign in the bushes, with some fanfare, and waited to see what happened next. Meanwhile, I might remove my outer shirt and gone into open carry mode just to ratchet up the fun factor.

If OFCC had been engaged in more on scene, boots on the ground advocacy for the last several years, spoiled brat towns like Gahanna wouldn't still be pulling this garbage.

********************************************************************************
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Thank you for checking out the sign, and Welcome! :)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

Brian D. wrote:What is Creekside, exactly? I see the sign is from Gahanna Parks & Recreation; except for certain park buildings, they can't legally ban firearms.
It's a joint City of Gahanna Private partnership. The parking garage underneath and the green space are owned by the city. The office/retail/apartments are privately owned. All outside maintenance is done by the City of Gahanna Parks & Rec. Many Community Events are held there, some by private entities, Some by the Chamber of Commerce, some by the City. I actually work part time at a government office that is in one of the buildings there. Those signs are usually only out when something with paid admission for the event is going on and parts of the plaza and grounds are fenced off. (I try to avoid working those events because of the crowds)..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creekside_Gahanna" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks for the explanation dustymedic. Sounds like another of the myriad gray area zones regarding lawful carry. I have an idea how to get some permanent resolution of this but it isn't going to do anything except get me banned here if I share it.

curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Brian D., I kinda doubt that anything short of an armed frontal assault would get you banned from this forum, so let's hear it.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'll PM you my phone #, Brian.

I'm feelin' froggy. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
medmandan

Post by medmandan »

Do you have enough Duct tape or shall I overnight you some?
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Looks like there was a concert there that particular day. The concert was sponsored by a private entity, so it probably fell into that gray area that Brian D. described.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

Stryker74 wrote:Looks like there was a concert there that particular day. The concert was sponsored by a private entity, so it probably fell into that gray area that Brian D. described.
Even if there was a private event at the park, was the ENTIRE park cordoned off/pay to enter, or only the CONCERT portion? IF the latter, they still can't ban you from carrying in the OPEN part of the park. My $0.02.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
keepitsimple
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by keepitsimple »

I think one of the more alarming parts of that sign, aside from the no firearms part, is the "Coolers, bags, and backpacks are subject to search" part. What gives the City and/or a private orgainzation the right to search one's person or possessions without warrant or consent?

That whole sign needs to be tossed into the creek on the basis of being constitutionally offensive.
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
Alexander Hamilton
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

keepitsimple wrote:I think one of the more alarming parts of that sign, aside from the no firearms part, is the "Coolers, bags, and backpacks are subject to search" part. What gives the City and/or a private orgainzation the right to search one's person or possessions without warrant or consent?
Seriously? You see that at just about every crowd-drawing event these days. If you find the rules offensive you are perfectly free to turn around and not patronize their event on their property. If you find the rules acceptable then you are welcome to stay and enjoy the festivities. Their party, their rules. From a legal perspective you have given consent the moment you proceed past that clearly posted sign.
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

djthomas wrote:
keepitsimple wrote:I think one of the more alarming parts of that sign, aside from the no firearms part, is the "Coolers, bags, and backpacks are subject to search" part. What gives the City and/or a private orgainzation the right to search one's person or possessions without warrant or consent?
Seriously? You see that at just about every crowd-drawing event these days. If you find the rules offensive you are perfectly free to turn around and not patronize their event on their property. If you find the rules acceptable then you are welcome to stay and enjoy the festivities. Their party, their rules. From a legal perspective you have given consent the moment you proceed past that clearly posted sign.[/q}

The "Happiest Place on Earth" is spending big money to make permanent stations for checking bags and coolers at the entrances to all parks...
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

If it's so dangerous a place that they have to ban the one most law abiding segment of the population, then it's far too dangerous a place for me to attend!
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett