Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby swatpup102 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:43 pm

There is a park in the Cincinnati Suburb of Amberley Village called Amberley Green. It is a former private golf course that was purchased by the Village to use as a public park for the former cart paths to be walking paths. There is a huge sign placed at the start of the trails that gives the park name and rules, and below that sign is the large no firearm sign. It's my understanding that any public parks in Ohio cannot be posted as CPZ's. I e-mailed the city government office to verify that the park was indeed open to everyone as a public village owned park, and it was confirmed.

"Amberley Green, which is owned by Amberley Village, is a park all are welcome to use. Simply stop in to the Amberley Village Police/Fire Department at 7149 Ridge Road to pick up a pass." (pass is for a parking pass to use in the former course parking lot as part of their crime prevention steps.

The text of the sign is as follows, with a standard no gun image used:
"It is illegal to carry a firearm, deadly weapon, or dangerous ordnance anywhere on the premises unless authorized by law."

I've sent a message to their community Ask Us contact asking about the sign and their guidance on it, I'll post any response I get.
NRA Certified Instructor
Basic Pistol- Personal Protection Inside The Home
swatpup102
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:41 pm

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby Brian D. » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:43 pm

So far I can't find a listing for their law director. Being a village rather than city, they may not have someone doing that as a permanent position, village manager just hires various attorneys as needed.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14564
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby swatpup102 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:18 am

I got a call back this morning from a representative of their police department. He told me they have had discussions on that sign when they first purchased the park land, and decided to post it because they have people that will bring rifles and shotguns on to park land and shoot at deer. He said there was no problem with carrying a firearm in the park for anything legal, including CCW or open carry, but they want to keep the sign there to deter those who think they are allowed to hunt on the property.

I can understand that I suppose, even though I still feel that particular sign sends the wrong message (instead of a no hunting sign for example,) but I'm glad they cleared it up and accept the explanation with no issue.

A mod can delete this one if they choose.
NRA Certified Instructor
Basic Pistol- Personal Protection Inside The Home
swatpup102
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:41 pm

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby WY_Not » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:56 am

I'd call BS on their excuse. If they wanted no hunting then that is what should be on the sign.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.

Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
User avatar
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 2037
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Miami County, OH

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby JustaShooter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:40 am

WY_Not wrote:I'd call BS on their excuse. If they wanted no hunting then that is what should be on the sign.

Exactly this. The sign is in violation of Ohio law and needs to be changed. Specify no hunting, no discharge of firearms, etc., OK, but the language making simple possession of a firearm illegal must be removed.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
User avatar
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Akron/Canton Area

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby BB62 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:36 am

JustaShooter wrote:
WY_Not wrote:I'd call BS on their excuse. If they wanted no hunting then that is what should be on the sign.

Exactly this. The sign is in violation of Ohio law and needs to be changed. Specify no hunting, no discharge of firearms, etc., OK, but the language making simple possession of a firearm illegal must be removed.

Agreed. Except for the fact that apparently only village residents can park at this "public" park, I'd put together a group of OCers and visit! :wink:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
User avatar
BB62
 
Posts: 2512
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:57 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby Brian D. » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:48 pm

And, there's not much other parking available on nearby side streets. Closest public lot would be at the Amberley Village police/fire/admin building, I think. They'd love to help us with that, I'm sure. :roll: Would probably have to meet at (kinda) nearby French Park and walk over. Trouble with that plan is lack of sidewalks along Section and Ridge Roads. Does Über have buses?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14564
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby docachna » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Haven't had the time to research it, but I have HUGE doubts that a municipality can restrict parking on public property to only residents of the municipality. It just sounds so ridiculous as to be impossible. The restriction of parking at the park, is essentially restricting the use of the park, in both cases, to residents only. I just don't see it. Tons of First Amendment problems with restricting the park use, and I can't even count how many problems with restricting use of the public parking lot.

Anybody have an idea ? or want to spend the weekend doing legal research ?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
docachna
 
Posts: 1960
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:26 am
Location: Mount Juliet TN

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby MyWifeSaidYes » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:46 pm

docachna wrote:...Tons of First Amendment problems with restricting the park use, and I can't even count how many problems with restricting use of the public parking lot...


So, what about a police department parking lot that has spaces reserved for police cars only?

Or the 'Police vehicles only' parking spaces on High Street, a very public road, just south of the Franklin County Courthouse in Columbus?

I am intrigued.
MyWifeSaidYes
User avatar
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 5397
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:59 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby cashman966 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:52 pm

docachna wrote:Haven't had the time to research it, but I have HUGE doubts that a municipality can restrict parking on public property to only residents of the municipality. It just sounds so ridiculous as to be impossible. The restriction of parking at the park, is essentially restricting the use of the park, in both cases, to residents only. I just don't see it. Tons of First Amendment problems with restricting the park use, and I can't even count how many problems with restricting use of the public parking lot.

Anybody have an idea ? or want to spend the weekend doing legal research ?


Municipalities restrict parking everyday, in public lots and public streets. The website says a day pass for parking is available, I assume that would be the route for a non resident or a resident who doesn't want an "I live here" sticker on their car.

Still no excuse for the illegal posting.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
User avatar
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 3403
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 9:52 pm
Location: Delaware, Ohio

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby BB62 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:59 am

cashman966 wrote:
docachna wrote:Haven't had the time to research it, but I have HUGE doubts that a municipality can restrict parking on public property to only residents of the municipality. It just sounds so ridiculous as to be impossible. The restriction of parking at the park, is essentially restricting the use of the park, in both cases, to residents only. I just don't see it. Tons of First Amendment problems with restricting the park use, and I can't even count how many problems with restricting use of the public parking lot.

Anybody have an idea ? or want to spend the weekend doing legal research ?


Municipalities restrict parking everyday, in public lots and public streets. The website says a day pass for parking is available, I assume that would be the route for a non resident or a resident who doesn't want an "I live here" sticker on their car.

Still no excuse for the illegal posting.

As is definitely the case with the bumper identification sticker, I suspect issuance of a the day pass is restricted to residents only also.

Enterprising individuals can read this page and/or contact the powers-that-be: http://www.amberleyvillage.org/recreation.cfm

From the link: "An Amberley Village identification sticker on your car's bumper gives you access to this beautiful property. Cars without a sticker will be subject to ticketing or towing, and no vehicles will be allowed to park overnight. Those who prefer not to affix the Village sticker to their car may obtain a parking day-pass for Amberley Green at the police window in Village Hall."
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
User avatar
BB62
 
Posts: 2512
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:57 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby fisher » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:38 pm

The following appears to be a blog from the Vice Mayor of Amberly Village which mentions the parking options for nonresidents who wish to visit the park. It was written in 2012.

http://lonewolfinthevillage.blogspot.co ... green.html

On a side note, Hamilton County offers annual and day vehicle passes for a number of their parks. The rates for non-residents are slightly higher.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/
http://www.gunbanobama.com
User avatar
fisher
 
Posts: 3704
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:41 pm
Location: cincinnati

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby Brian D. » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:34 am

I came across that same blog a while back. She is a clueless grasseater. Mindset being "If only residents of Amberley can come here, it will be safe to walk around the woods with my head up my..."
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14564
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby JediSkipdogg » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:42 am

Brian D. wrote:I came across that same blog a while back. She is a clueless grasseater. Mindset being "If only residents of Amberley can come here, it will be safe to walk around the woods with my head up my..."


Gotta remember the mindset of a lot of these smaller communities. I think many wouldn't mind a wall up around their city and them be a gated village for residents only. Heck, Amberley Village PD will respond to your house while you are on vacation with a key you leave at the PD and let your landscaper in your house to use your bathroom. Indian Hill will take out your trash while you are on vacation. I'm not sure if that is true community oriented policing or what. I just know I can't live in that mindset.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
User avatar
JediSkipdogg
 
Posts: 10095
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Batavia

Re: Amberley Green Park, Cincinnati

Postby BB62 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:30 am

fisher wrote:The following appears to be a blog from the Vice Mayor of Amberly Village which mentions the parking options for nonresidents who wish to visit the park. It was written in 2012.

http://lonewolfinthevillage.blogspot.co ... green.html ...

Great find!

Do they have picnic tables there? I'm thinking maybe an OC Metro bus ride, followed by a picnic in the park.

Maybe then they'd take down their "no guns" signs. 8)
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
User avatar
BB62
 
Posts: 2512
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:57 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Next

Return to ORC 9.68 Compliance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest