Dayton Fright Night

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
gfrlaser

Dayton Fright Night

Post by gfrlaser »

Fright Night is a yearly even held on the streets of downtown Dayton. very much like a festival in any city. I went there tonight and at the entrance are signs that say, No weapons or a fake weapon as part of a costume. Plenty of police at the entrance to enforce this 'rule'. If you go as Darth Vader and have a fake light saber sword, they will not let you on the streets unless you relinquish the fake saber sword. How is this even remotely legal on the city streets??
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
mreising

Re: Dayton Fright Night

Post by mreising »

Until light sabers become actual weapons, how is it even a fake weapon?
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This has been discussed before, for sure at the Open Carry Dot Org forums. Maybe here as well. I think they powers that be have mostly refused to reply to inquiries about the legality of what they're doing. And since statewide preemption has no enforcement "teeth", no organization has squared off to take them on.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Does anyone have a link to the event page/website?

Is this the thing where admission is charged? If so, I think someone started working on it last year or the year before, then didn't pursue it further.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BB62 wrote:Is this the thing where admission is charged? If so, I think someone started working on it last year or the year before, then didn't pursue it further.
Yeah I think that's the one. If this was in your and my 'backyard' I expect there would have been some cowboy (hat) diplomacy engaged in by now, if we'd have been stonewalled by conventional efforts in, ahem, polite government channels.

Now on the other hand, sort of...this week marked the first time in many years I've attended one of these haunted house attractions. They seem to largely be prominently posted against carry of any sort of defensive tools. Since the one I went to was in Kentucky where such signs don't in and of themselves have the weight of law, I carried anyhow. The performers really do their best to frighten EVERYBODY, it's what most attendees are paying for. Guess what you could say I did was to turn down my normal "color code of awareness" sensitivity somewhat in order to play along.

While the friends who talked me into going along were greatly entertained, it didn't do much for me one way or another, and the group seemed a little bummed out about my lack of reaction. They blamed it on my fire/EMS job being "Way more frightening". That's not particularly true. Anyhow, the only part of these haunted attractions that goes against my grain is some of the performers feel obligated to make physical contact with as many patrons as possible. One lady ghoul was so grabby that I held her long enough to land a big smooch on her. Think she was quite lovely under that makeup, in any event she didn't want to play anymore. :lol:

Somewhere in this I'm trying to make the point that these haunted houses MAY be a good occasion to leave the gun behind. They really are doing their best to scare the bejeebus out of everybody. On the other hand I wouldn't have liked the pitch dark walk back to my vehicle afterwards without having my (ghost) blaster along.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.