Dayton public transit (RTA) dislikes lawfully carried guns

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
BB62

Re: E-mail sent to media, 10/7/16

Post by BB62 »

Suckerspawn wrote:
fisher wrote:
BB62 wrote:

BTW- the Piqua buses (Miami county public transit) also prohibit firearms, and they intersect with the Dayton RTA bussses.

Link to piquaoh transit rules:
http://piquaoh.org/download/web/present ... ations.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Miami County's website does not specify firearms as prohibited. It does specify pets.

http://www.co.miami.oh.us/DocumentCenter/View/430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I called the Transit Department and the lady said it has never come up but she thought firearms would not be allowed. She is going to have someone with more knowledge contact me.
Link as posted by fisher on page 4 of the present thread: http://piquaoh.org/download/web/present ... ations.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see page 6)

Concealed Weapon Policy

No employee, passenger, or contractor of the MCPT is permitted to have a concealed weapon, or anything that can be used as a weapon, on property that is owned, leased, or rented by the MCPT.

Should an employee, passenger or contractor of the MCPT have in their possession a weapon, the local authorities will be called to address this issue and the MCPT will prosecute said person to the fullest extent of the law.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
TJW815

Re: Dayton public transit (RTA) dislikes lawfully carried gu

Post by TJW815 »

BB62 wrote:
TJW815 wrote:There is a RTA hub in Miami Township (Montgomery county), visible for I-675. I may stop by there and see if it also posted. If I get up that way I will also check the one in Trotwood (Montgomery County) near Salem Ave.
Thank you. It's much appreciated.

Please take and post pictures regardless.
The Miami Township hub/depot is posted at the doors. I looked for signs entering the parking lot and saw none. Sorry for the blurry picture.

JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

Chuck wrote:Thank you for the links
Please allow me to return the favor

For those who may be too busy / lazy to look it up, here is a link to our membership page:
https://ohioccw.org/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1, My post was to be helpful for those who lack the means/time to do it themselves, and was done tongue in cheek
2, I am neither too busy nor to lazy to join OFCC as a member, I am too poor to do so. Example, today is pay day, I have $4 for the rest of the week after paying overhead for my family.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
BB62

Post by BB62 »

TJW815 wrote:
BB62 wrote:
TJW815 wrote:There is a RTA hub in Miami Township (Montgomery county), visible for I-675. I may stop by there and see if it also posted. If I get up that way I will also check the one in Trotwood (Montgomery County) near Salem Ave.
Thank you. It's much appreciated.

Please take and post pictures regardless.
The Miami Township hub/depot is posted at the doors. I looked for signs entering the parking lot and saw none. Sorry for the blurry picture.
Thank you. If you're able to get a sharp picture, it would help so that the exact wording on the signage would be evident.

Did you see any "private property" signs?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Didn't see any but I'll get around to taking a closer look. I noticed a bunch of no smoking signs, at least a dozen from one side of the building sononwsmt to get a closer look at all the signs. I was in a bit of a rush today and snapped the pic in a hurry.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I've asked this b4 but didn't get an answer/opinion. Does ''conspicuous location'' also include clear see-thru gunbuster signage? Clear sticker, the 'no guns' circled handgun image is a dulled red. Perhaps dulled because of no background. I have seen those on some business doors, placed at or below waist level. Once the clear sign was off the door on adjacent glass, at waist level. You have to really look to see them and doubly so when other signage catches your eyes such as no smoking. Thanks!
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

WhyNot wrote:I've asked this b4 but didn't get an answer/opinion. Does ''conspicuous location'' also include clear see-thru gunbuster signage? Clear sticker, the 'no guns' circled handgun image is a dulled red. Perhaps dulled because of no background. I have seen those on some business doors, placed at or below waist level. Once the clear sign was off the door on adjacent glass, at waist level. You have to really look to see them and doubly so when other signage catches your eyes such as no smoking. Thanks!
We could all share our personal opinions about the definition of "conspicuously" (and we have indeed done much typing back and forth on that very thing in the past) but what counts is how the arresting officer, and more importantly the prosecutor and judge interpret that word. Want to make some case law for the rest of us to use later? I recommend carrying a less expensive gun that day in case you are booked by one of those PD's that dings up or "loses" firearms taken into their custody, and a jacket that allows good freedom of movement by allowing your hands to go WAY behind your back.

I'm not aiming my snarkiness at you, by the way. The Ohio General Assembly writes laws using sixty bazillionty words where sixty would have done, it gives them a chance to help their brother lawyers make more money later in the legal system. I think the ORC has defined "conspicuous(ly)" in other sections, but it was vague enough for courts to interpret inconsistently from one case to another.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Bottom line is, if you see it and know it's there, it's conspicuous enough

No way is anyone ever going to get off by saying they saw the sign but thought wasn't conspicuous enough
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BB62

Post by BB62 »

TJW815 wrote:Didn't see any but I'll get around to taking a closer look. I noticed a bunch of no smoking signs, at least a dozen from one side of the building sononwsmt to get a closer look at all the signs. I was in a bit of a rush today and snapped the pic in a hurry.
Please mention if there's an employee(s) who regularly works in this or other locations you happen to travel to.

THANKS once again.

Got Freedom?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

Kelly May, the Dayton reporter with channels 22 & 45, has told me that her Dayton RTA story will be on this evening at 10 PM on Fox 45, and 11 PM on ABC 22.

Direct links will be posted when available.

Station links: fox45now.com & abc22now.com

Got Freedom?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

Story link: http://abc22now.com/news/local/rta-chal ... te-propety" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got Freedom?

TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Good job!

Think of the squirming the CEO is doing now. LOL
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Great job !!! (Took 'em on single-handedly.)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Well done BB62!

On a side note, that article looks like I typed it on my phone and failed to proofread it. Yeesh. Why, back in the day an editor would never have let something like this see the light of day...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Watched it last night and I thought it was well presented. It will be interesting to see how the RTA legal staff will respond knowing they are in violation and how it will affect other RTA's in the state with simular bans.