Dayton public transit (RTA) dislikes lawfully carried guns

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
BB62

Re: Dayton public transit (RTA) dislikes lawfully carried gu

Post by BB62 »

Clearer image of one (of many) sign @ the Wright Transit Center:

Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
GlockMan27

Post by GlockMan27 »

SeanC wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
SeanC wrote:I don't understand the need to make such a big fuss. If they have a rule that is illegal, why don't you just ignore it and go on about your day?
When a vendor won't ship an item to your city because of an illegal ordinance or rule, I could probably ignore it...

But when the public bus driver prevents you from riding while armed, do you still just ignore it?

When the ticket agent at the public fairgrounds won't let you in while armed, do you still just ignore it?

When the park ranger arrests you for open carrying in the public park, do you still just ignore it?

When the police at the public college shoots you because you have a handgun openly holstered on your hip, do you still just ignore it?

I know better, SeanC, but it still sounds like you are saying, "I believe in the 2A and R.C. 9.68...BUT..."

:wink:
Totally different. In those cases you've been affirmatively prohibited from doing something. This case is more like there's a specter of you being prohibited from doing something, but from what I know, there is no indication that someone has actually been denied carriage on the buses because he/she is armed. I work in Dayton, but have never used the public transit. From what I understand, RTA isn't actually enforcing the "rules of the road" or whatever they call it. It's kind of like those signs that used to be (maybe still are?) on the retaining wall around the statehouse. Everyone knew they were bogus, and the Capitol Square Review and Advisory Board didn't try to enforce them. If RTA is enforcing this prohibition, such as by denying carriage to someone because he/she is armed, that's a totally different story.

Also, I don't have any sympathy for the argument that "some people don't know the law very well." If you're going to undertake a highly regulated activity like concealed carry, you should damn well know the law COLD. It's what differentiates lawful concealed carry from a felony. I'm not going to lose sleep over someone who doesn't bother to learn the law, and who is deterred from carrying on an RTA by an unenforceable sign.

More power to you guys who want to fight. I'm not opposed to it; to me, this isn't a big deal.
And I think you are missing, at least, my point. It isn't about those who "don't know the law very well" but it certainly is about my, or anyone else, being charged with this violation. They aren't allowed to deny carrying yet they are, and have that regulation backed up by at least some on the police department (I think as shown in OP). Regardless of whether any charges have yet been pressed they are clearly in violation of 9.68. That in of itself doesn't bother you? I don't want to be harassed by any LEO for doing something lawful. I certainly don't want to have to defend myself in court for doing something perfectly legal. Again, as asked, are you willing to go pro-bono? What about the time I may miss from work? Would I be better to go unarmed rather than risk it?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

curmudgeon3 wrote:
WY_Not wrote:So... if one of us carries (legally) onto an RTA bus and gets denied or (heaven forbid) arrested are you going to represent us pro bono? :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
From his signature line:
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
He is one of OFCC's lawyers, correct? OFCC is the premier guns rights group in Ohio, correct? Eh, nevermind.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Go Tribe.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Another picture taken at the Transit Stop. (or whatever its name is)

Last edited by BB62 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pirateguy191 wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:
WY_Not wrote:So... if one of us carries (legally) onto an RTA bus and gets denied or (heaven forbid) arrested are you going to represent us pro bono? :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
From his signature line:
He is one of OFCC's lawyers, correct? OFCC is the premier guns rights group in Ohio, correct? Eh, nevermind.
I'm actually kind of glad that SeanC is NOT my lawyer, pirateguy191.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BB62 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:You know, this reminds me of something: Here in Cincinnati I've been meaning to eyeball the new streetcars downtown to make sure the city and SORTA haven't crawfished and posted the things with 'No guns' signs or posted rules to that effect at the outdoor platforms/stations. I'll only mention this again if there's an issue, and in a separate discussion so as not to bollix up this thread.
Good point. I've already addressed that - the two City of Cincinnati attorneys I referenced in my one note to the RTA were in on the handling of the matter.

However, if anyone hears/sees differently, let me know.
I took a close look at one of the Cincinnati streetcars and the signage at a station for same today. Absolutely no firearms-prohibiting verbiage in evidence. So, I won't have to pull a Sean Culley and ignore unlawful activity by a political subdivision in this instance.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Brian D. wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:You know, this reminds me of something: Here in Cincinnati I've been meaning to eyeball the new streetcars downtown to make sure the city and SORTA haven't crawfished and posted the things with 'No guns' signs or posted rules to that effect at the outdoor platforms/stations. I'll only mention this again if there's an issue, and in a separate discussion so as not to bollix up this thread.
Good point. I've already addressed that - the two City of Cincinnati attorneys I referenced in my one note to the RTA were in on the handling of the matter.

However, if anyone hears/sees differently, let me know.
I took a close look at one of the Cincinnati streetcars and the signage at a station for same today. Absolutely no firearms-prohibiting verbiage in evidence. So, I won't have to pull a Sean Culley and ignore unlawful activity by a political subdivision in this instance.
<wipes brow, glad to avoid throwing Brian D's bail>

:mrgreen:

Got Freedom?

curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

pirateguy191 wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:
From his signature line:
IDK. Yes.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

pirateguy191 wrote:Go Tribe.
Wasn't there an unfounded rumor about Mexico recently; or was that about the Browns? No big deal.
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

This is a subject that comes up every so often, and I have to point out that just because I am an OFCC Coordinator and a lawyer does not mean that I am OFCC's lawyer. OFCC is represented by Derek DeBrosse. I haven't done legal work for OFCC in a very, very long time. And a coordinator is just a volunteer. I don't have any authority to direct or control OFCC's decisions regarding 9.68 litigation or any other matter. That authority rests with the Board, and I am not on OFCC's board.

And yes, I do pro bono. I decide which clients deserve my pro bono time, and yes again, most of them involve firearms-related issues. That said, I would never ask you to come to my home and do gratis for me whatever it is that you do for a living. Don't be asinine.

I've been a member of these forums for a decade next week, and affiliated with OFCC for almost as long. The personal attacks aren't necessary. OFCC has a limited budget for lawsuits. I like when that money is used for things like challenging Cleveland's new gun ordinances, which would surely have been used to prosecute someone, and which would have been a model for other municipalities to follow. If RTA tried to enforce its ordinance by denying service to someone, or by attempting to have someone arrested for carrying on RTA property, I think OFCC's money would be well-spent assisting that person with legal fees associated with not only a defense of any criminal action, but also the prosecution of a civil suit against RTA and/or the officers who effected the arrest. I disagree that OFCC's money is well-spent filing a lawsuit against RTA for posting, but not necessarily enforcing, signs that may be in violation of 9.68. There are all kinds of signs that have no force of law; we don't have the resources to address them all. Spending money one area means there may not be funds available when they are really needed for something egregious down the road.

You're certainly entitled to your own opinion if you disagree, but please try to articulate your opinion without being discourteous to others on the forums. We're all on the same team at the end of the day.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

SeanC wrote:And yes, I do pro bono. I decide which clients deserve my pro bono time, and yes again, most of them involve firearms-related issues. That said, I would never ask you to come to my home and do gratis for me whatever it is that you do for a living. Don't be asinine.
Nor would you have a competent workman do work in your home and instruct them on every aspect of how it should be done. Many around here fancy themselves to be lawyers. To quote a movie line of Joan Cusack: "Sometimes, I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna ... never will."
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Werz wrote:
SeanC wrote:And yes, I do pro bono. I decide which clients deserve my pro bono time, and yes again, most of them involve firearms-related issues. That said, I would never ask you to come to my home and do gratis for me whatever it is that you do for a living. Don't be asinine.
Nor would you have a competent workman do work in your home and instruct them on every aspect of how it should be done. Many around here fancy themselves to be lawyers. To quote a movie line of Joan Cusack: "Sometimes, I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna ... never will."

I think what you are both trying to say is you don't drop a nuke on an anthill when a conventional bomb will get the job done.

The tall man in the hat and the guy with a gun duct taped to his head are both pretty good at getting the job done.

In comparison to some large scale issues in the state, such as the aforementioned Cleveland ordinances or the university carry lawsuits, I think OFCC is putting their legal fund to the best use.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

SeanC wrote:Also, I don't have any sympathy for the argument that "some people don't know the law very well." If you're going to undertake a highly regulated activity like concealed carry, you should damn well know the law COLD.
Likewise, if you're going to try to regulate a basic human right, you should damn well know if you are in violation of the law.

It's simply a matter of freedom if you ask me, and good citizens taking part in their own governance.
Why should free men put up with their tax dollars being spent on spreading false information to their fellow citizen?
We expect our government to be honest with the citizenry.
You seem to think it's ok.

Do you consider yourself an advocate for freedom, knowledge and honesty?
I think we down here in the grassroots are
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Chuck wrote:Do you consider yourself an advocate for freedom, knowledge and honesty?
I think we down here in the grassroots are
And those at the grassroots level should stand up for their legal rights, rather than relying on the courts to enforce them. What happens when the courts begin to believe that, as a separate branch of government, they are not subject to R.C. 9.68, and that they can punish with their "inherent contempt powers" acts involving firearms which some judges find offensive or "scary," despite the fact that such acts are clearly lawful? What then?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.