Dayton public transit (RTA) dislikes lawfully carried guns

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
BB62

RTA acknowledges it's public property

Post by BB62 »

BUT, that addresses only part of the problem. Signage only *may* be changed, and RTA's anti-gun policies remain unchanged (see the Rules of the Road and Code of Conduct).

In a series of back and forth e-mails, starting with the prior post on this thread, the following communications took place (read from bottom to top):

(red bold below is mine) NOTE - the "memo" referred to in Mr. Donaghy's response was from **2009**.

Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:57 AM
To: me
Subject: RE: Dayton RTA - records request regarding "private property" signage - **FOLLOWUP II**

RTA property is publicly owned. RTA signage is likely to change, replacing the word “private” with “RTA” or “GDRTA”.

Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:01 AM
To: Donaghy, Mark
Subject: RE: Dayton RTA - records request regarding "private property" signage - **FOLLOWUP II**

Mr. Donaghy,

I’m not sure what you mean by “overthinking”.

Let me cut to the chase by asking a simple yes/no question: Are you saying that in fact the Wright Transit Stop is public property open to the public, not private property as posted?

Cordially,

me

PS – this is not to be construed as a withdrawal of my outstanding records requests

Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 6:43 AM
Subject: Re: Dayton RTA - records request regarding "private property" signage - **FOLLOWUP**

Yes

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 14, 2016, at 10:26 PM, BB62 wrote:
Does the attached document contain the ‘memo’ you are referring to?

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: Dayton RTA - records request regarding "private property" signage - **FOLLOWUP**

The memo from me to John Thomas regarding verbiage for WSP signs. I believe it was sent ahead of the large quantities of documents.

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 14, 2016, at 7:15 PM, BB62 wrote:
Mr. Donaghy,

I was sent more than a thousand pages of documents in response to a prior records request. What ‘memo’ (referred to in your #1 and #2 response below) are you referring to?

Please attach it to your response, as a response.

Cordially,

me

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 6:55 PM
Subject: RE: Dayton RTA - records request regarding "private property" signage - **FOLLOWUP**

Here is an update by item:

1. We have found no documents other than the memo sent to you regarding verbiage for the signs.
2. Again, the memo sent is the only document we have identified.
3. There are no such documents
4. We do not have documents that address this request.

I think you may be overthinking this. As you may have noted by reading what we sent and our facilities code, all references other than the signage refer to property as RTA or GDRTA Property, not private property. The memo we provided was the only reference we found.

Mark
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
docachna

Re: Dayton public transit (RTA) dislikes lawfully carried gu

Post by docachna »

Wish I knew how to post a video of a good tap dancer.

Because they're tap dancing big time. :lol:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: RTA acknowledges it's public property

Post by DOA33 »

BB62 wrote:BUT, that addresses only part of the problem. Signage only *may* be changed, and RTA's anti-gun policies remain unchanged (see the Rules of the Road and Code of Conduct).

In a series of back and forth e-mails, starting with the prior post on this thread, the following communications took place (read from bottom to top):

(red bold below is mine) NOTE - the "memo" referred to in Mr. Donaghy's response was from **2009**.

Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:57 AM

RTA property is publicly owned. RTA signage is likely to change, replacing the word “private” with “RTA” or “GDRTA”.

Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:01 AM
To: Donaghy, Mark

Mr. Donaghy,

I’m not sure what you mean by “overthinking”.

Let me cut to the chase by asking a simple yes/no question: Are you saying that in fact the Wright Transit Stop is public property open to the public, not private property as posted?

Cordially,

me

PS – this is not to be construed as a withdrawal of my outstanding records requests

Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 6:43 AM

Yes

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 14, 2016, at 10:26 PM, BB62 wrote:
Does the attached document contain the ‘memo’ you are referring to?

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 8:07 PM

The memo from me to John Thomas regarding verbiage for WSP signs. I believe it was sent ahead of the large quantities of documents.

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 14, 2016, at 7:15 PM, BB62 wrote:
Mr. Donaghy,

I was sent more than a thousand pages of documents in response to a prior records request. What ‘memo’ (referred to in your #1 and #2 response below) are you referring to?

Please attach it to your response, as a response.

Cordially,

me

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 6:55 PM
Subject: RE: Dayton RTA - records request regarding "private property" signage - **FOLLOWUP**

Here is an update by item:

1. We have found no documents other than the memo sent to you regarding verbiage for the signs.
2. Again, the memo sent is the only document we have identified.
3. There are no such documents
4. We do not have documents that address this request.

I think you may be overthinking this. As you may have noted by reading what we sent and our facilities code, all references other than the signage refer to property as RTA or GDRTA Property, not private property. The memo we provided was the only reference we found.

Mark
Made it a little easier to see who said what. :idea:
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
BB62

Letter to CEO, copied to RTA Board

Post by BB62 »

Subject: Dayton RTA - Status review of deceptive signage + noncomplying firearm policy = corrective action needed

Mr. Donaghy,

More than two months have passed since I publicly spoke (Oct. 4, 2016) to the members of the RTA Board about two subjects: 1) the deceptive and inaccurate “Private Property” signage on the public property which is the Wright Transit Stop, and 2) the fact that RTA was not in compliance with Ohio Revised Code 9.68 with respect to its wholesale prohibition of firearm carry on RTA buses and property open to the public.

I have also filed a number of records requests, at least one of which is now 56 days old - far older than the reasonably expected response time of 30 days.

On October 18, Kelly May of TV channels 22/45 broadcast a report which stated that you said RTA was doing a legal review of its policies. However, it appears that nothing has changed. Specifically, on November 15 you stated only that the signage was “likely” to change. In addition, the “Rules of the Road” & “Code of Conduct” supplied to me on December 15 both still include a prohibition on firearm carry.

With regard to RTA’s firearm carry prohibition, based on records which I was supplied with as well as information from other sources, it’s clear that RTA has been aware for years that its policy conflicts with ORC 9.68: you yourself said so in November of 2015. In that same communication you made it clear that you preferred that someone engage RTA in litigation rather than change RTA policy from within. Given that every other major Ohio regional transit authority is currently in compliance with Ohio law, I wouldn’t think that the RTA Board would countenance your engaging in such frivolous legal activity.

RTA has had plenty of time to consider changing its deceptive signage, as well as complying with Ohio law regarding firearm carry - so I’d like to know when RTA will be correcting both circumstances?

In an effort to be more than reasonable, I look forward to being advised within the next 30 days that RTA has taken appropriate corrective action. If I don’t receive communication of such corrective action, I will take further steps to facilitate RTA’s compliance.

Cordially,

me
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

First off, since I no longer live in Ohio and in the 30 plus years that I did I only occasionally visited the Dayton area on business, I really don't have a dog in this fight. That being said, I am a FIRM believer in getting people (and organizations) to do the right thing and correct any mistakes they make and not treat others unfairly.

In my humble opinion I would LOVE to see a letter writing campaign of some sort contacting EVERY media outlet that has an influence in the Dayton area and EVERY social group to let them know that their city bureaucrats (read civil SERVANTS) have been warned and are about to spend, AND LOSE, millions of taxpayer's dollars fighting a court battle that history has already shown they CAN'T and WON'T win.

(Lord! I hope you can mentally parse that sentence, but that's the way my mind works.)

I've gone through several large bowls of popcorn following this situation and applaud Jeff's tenacity and dedication to the self protection cause on all the fronts he is working.

Is the taxpaying public of Dayton really that ignorant and apathetic with regard to how their civil servants waste their hard earned money?

That's all the pot stirring I'm going to do tonight.
All of you have a great holiday season.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

AlanM wrote:...In my humble opinion I would LOVE to see a letter writing campaign of some sort contacting EVERY media outlet that has an influence in the Dayton area and EVERY social group to let them know that their city bureaucrats (read civil SERVANTS) have been warned and are about to spend, AND LOSE, millions of taxpayer's dollars fighting a court battle that history has already shown they CAN'T and WON'T win. ...
Oh, I'd love to see the same thing, but don't hold your breath!

(and thanks for your warm words otherwise, too)

Got Freedom?

docachna

Post by docachna »

Seems as if the 30 days has run. Any word from the gubmint ?? (Gee .... let me guess)............
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

docachna wrote:Seems as if the 30 days has run. Any word from the gubmint ?? (Gee .... let me guess)............
I imagine not. BB62 and I communicate in other places as well as on here, no updates on this topic best of my knowledge.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

docachna wrote:Seems as if the 30 days has run. Any word from the gubmint ?? (Gee .... let me guess)............
No news yet. I'm working a number of angles also.

Got Freedom?

docachna

Post by docachna »

Curious to see how this is progressing. I may be bumping up against a similar situation with Nashville-Davidson County Metropolitan Transit Authority's "Code of Conduct", which prohibits "weapons". Asked their legal guy if this meant firearms, and if so, where is this allowed in state law. So far - crickets........... :x
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

They have seen the light.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/l ... 5EnwpLdYI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Suckerspawn wrote:They have seen the light.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/l ... 5EnwpLdYI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
....partially.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Congratulations to BB62
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

This is GREAT news! BB62 should be commended!

But, according to the article, "As of March 21, companies in Ohio are no longer allowed to ban handguns from company property, but government buildings can choose whether or not to ban weapons." Is this saying that private companies are no longer allowed to ban handguns, such as stores and other private business that may or may not interact with the public?
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

MacDonald wrote:

This is GREAT news! BB62 should be commended!

But, according to the article, "As of March 21, companies in Ohio are no longer allowed to ban handguns from company property, but government buildings can choose whether or not to ban weapons." Is this saying that private companies are no longer allowed to ban handguns, such as stores and other private business that may or may not interact with the public?
That may be what it's saying, but that doesn't make it correct. This is the media after all.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand