General aviation airport

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
ohiophotog

General aviation airport

Post by ohiophotog »

So I am curious. Dayton Wright Brothers Airport is a general aviation airport that is owned by the city of Dayton. If they have a public event can they ban firearms? Being a general aviation airport they don't have secured terminals and the event is outside on the runway area by the hangers.

I dont remember exactly how the law reads regarding airports.
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
TJW815

Re: General aviation airport

Post by TJW815 »

You must have seen that Facebook chatter on this
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

Nope I just saw the event page and read it in the rules. It instantly didn't seem right to me.

Where's the Facebook chatter at?
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

ohiophotog wrote:Nope I just saw the event page and read it in the rules. It instantly didn't seem right to me.

Where's the Facebook chatter at?
Event page.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Have a link to the FB pg ?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

IANAL but....

It is my understanding that the airport, as long as you remain outside of the "TSA Sterile Area" which would be by terminals where passengers embark and disembark aircraft (I forget the wording, specifically) and out of buildings owned by any level of government, is okay to carry at.

i've flown with the gun on my hip before in a private plane for a hamburger trip, but remained within Ohio and didn't go into any buildings on the airport property as it wasn't necessary.

IIRC, Morne has alot of information on this topic.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

I always carry at that event. I carry at the Dayton Air Show, too. Open land that is owned by the state cannot be a "gun free zone" unless it's included in the definition of a corrections facility.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Have a link to the FB pg ?

https://www.facebook.com/events/1003554 ... 022743477/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

SeanC wrote:I always carry at that event. I carry at the Dayton Air Show, too. Open land that is owned by the state cannot be a "gun free zone" unless it's included in the definition of a corrections facility.
Yeah but some TSA employees (not the ones dressed in blue at security checkpoints in airports) will not like that answer if they're around. TSA is still responsible for GA airport security, trains, busses, etc....

Not saying you're at all wrong, but if you run into one of these badged morons, expect an argument and some issues.

With that said, I used to live 5 minutes away from that airport. Now it's a bit out of the way to drive down there. A shame because I really wanted to start flying GA planes again.
TDwin
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Ohio Carry has our backs.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1555599310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Ohio Carry has our backs.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1555599310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good deal. Sad I wasn't able to make it.
TDwin
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

ArmedAviator wrote:
SeanC wrote:I always carry at that event. I carry at the Dayton Air Show, too. Open land that is owned by the state cannot be a "gun free zone" unless it's included in the definition of a corrections facility.
Yeah but some TSA employees (not the ones dressed in blue at security checkpoints in airports) will not like that answer if they're around. TSA is still responsible for GA airport security, trains, busses, etc....

Not saying you're at all wrong, but if you run into one of these badged morons, expect an argument and some issues.

With that said, I used to live 5 minutes away from that airport. Now it's a bit out of the way to drive down there. A shame because I really wanted to start flying GA planes again.
TSA isn't an "authority figure" in most areas of my life. If they want to make a stink about it, I'm perfectly happy to reciprocate. Anyway, it's a non-issue. A home improvement project wore me out this last Saturday and I couldn't make it.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
docachna

Post by docachna »

SeanC wrote: TSA isn't an "authority figure" in most areas of my life. If they want to make a stink about it, I'm perfectly happy to reciprocate. Anyway, it's a non-issue. A home improvement project wore me out this last Saturday and I couldn't make it.
Does TSA even have arrest powers ?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

docachna wrote:
SeanC wrote: TSA isn't an "authority figure" in most areas of my life. If they want to make a stink about it, I'm perfectly happy to reciprocate. Anyway, it's a non-issue. A home improvement project wore me out this last Saturday and I couldn't make it.
Does TSA even have arrest powers ?
Nope, but they have airport police to back them up typically.

Edit - TSA Air Marshals do have arrest powers. Not to be confused with the blue shirt goons most people think of when they refer to TSA "officers"