Park and ride

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
sunfish valley

Park and ride

Post by sunfish valley »

Sorry if this has been up before, did a search but didn't find anything. I was setting at a park and ride along a state highway yesterday and noticed a gun buster sign. There is no building here just a place to park your vehicle, and commute to work. I take it is state owned. Is this legal ???
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
Ohio Hunter Education Instructor
JediSkipdogg

Re: Park and ride

Post by JediSkipdogg »

What's the address/location of it. It may or may not be state owned but that can be easily researched.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

If city, county or state owned, they can't post it. But, even if privately owned since it is primarily a parking facility, it is a civil issue, not criminal.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

The Greater Cleveland RTA posts all of its park and rides on the giant billboard full of rules. Right above it is the standard Ohio no smoking language even though there's not a building to be found and they provide "smokers outposts" next to some of the bus shelters. Years ago I got into a bit of an email argument with their then head of public communications over posting the lots. His take was "well golly, if you can't carry on the bus then I don't see what the problem is with saying the same for the parking lots", then it became "well golly you shouldn't be able to carry on the bus", then it became "please don't carry on the bus."

I was going to push harder to get up to Legal but then my wife gave birth and life's priorities changed. Since I haven't ridden an RTA vehicle in well over 10 years I've not mustered enough to re-kindle that battle.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

djthomas wrote:Years ago I got into a bit of an email argument with their then head of public communications over posting the lots. His take was "well golly, if you can't carry on the bus then I don't see what the problem is with saying the same for the parking lots", then it became "well golly you shouldn't be able to carry on the bus", then it became "please don't carry on the bus."
:lol:

Well done - now, we just need to close the loop and get those silly, illegal signs down.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

djthomas wrote:The Greater Cleveland RTA posts all of its park and rides on the giant billboard full of rules. Right above it is the standard Ohio no smoking language even though there's not a building to be found and they provide "smokers outposts" next to some of the bus shelters. Years ago I got into a bit of an email argument with their then head of public communications over posting the lots. His take was "well golly, if you can't carry on the bus then I don't see what the problem is with saying the same for the parking lots", then it became "well golly you shouldn't be able to carry on the bus", then it became "please don't carry on the bus."

I was going to push harder to get up to Legal but then my wife gave birth and life's priorities changed. Since I haven't ridden an RTA vehicle in well over 10 years I've not mustered enough to re-kindle that battle.
Some of those No Smoking signs are strange. Last year, I was driving through Iowa and stopped at a rest stop. My wife hit the little girls' room (misogynistic criticisms will be ignored) and I lit a cigar and took a walk through the well arbored area. My wife joined me on the walk and, on the return to the car, we saw the No Smoking Area sign which seemed to include the entire rest area. I took a few more puffs and we got in the car and left. Still don't know if I broke some local law or not.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
sunfish valley

Post by sunfish valley »

This sign is at a park and ride at the intersection of state route 104 and State route 32 in pike county, Ohio. it is mounted on a light pole in the south east corner of the lot. I believe this property is state owned, because a couple years ago the state had dirt moving equipment here for training their employees,
And there is a sign at the east end of the lot that has rules posted on it, is says something about state property, but the gun buster sign is not on the same pole as it.
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
Ohio Hunter Education Instructor
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

Per the Pike County Auditor's Office, that Park 'N Ride is parcel #130793020000, which is owned by the State of Ohio. Therefore, it is illegally posted.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Oh, it's Pike County? Yeah they're not so big on following state law there. Sorry about the broad brush painting, it's early and I haven't had breakfast yet.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.