Edgewater Park (Cleveland Metroparks)

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
westside

Re: Edgewater Park (Cleveland Metroparks)

Post by westside »

That's what I'd like to avoid.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

westside wrote:Bottom line: What's the best way to let them know they can't do this?
Open carry event. Just like Lock 3 Park in Akron.

https://youtu.be/4W_2XaaAaXk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (3:20 - 4:30)
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
westside

Post by westside »

New season, new illegal gunbuster signs. Took this photo today.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Okay westside, pick the date and time for our open carry event then, already!! Or do you want these signs to continue reappearing forever?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Werz wrote:
westside wrote:Bottom line: What's the best way to let them know they can't do this?
Open carry event. Just like Lock 3 Park in Akron.

https://youtu.be/4W_2XaaAaXk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (3:20 - 4:30)
YEE- HAW, let's do this one up big bold and sassy, ASAP!

********************************************************************************
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm in for an OC walk - but first, has anyone contacted them yet?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

JustaShooter wrote:I'm in for an OC walk - but first, has anyone contacted them yet?
They know the law. It's Cleveland, why contact them. Let's walk.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote:I'm in for an OC walk - but first, has anyone contacted them yet?

They have been talked with and written to many times. Now we go grind their noses into the dirt. Let's try to have hundreds of OC walk participants so that any harassment or threats of arrest are recorded and turned into career humiliation for the pols.

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

It's times like this that make me wish I still lived in NE Ohio.
I would DEFINITELY show up for that gathering.
I can remember attending an open carry walk in Elyria many years ago. Same side of Cleveland for those that don't know the area.
In fact, a photo of my holstered 1911 and my fat rear end was published in the Plain Dealer after that walk.

I do, however, like the weather where I am now MUCH better.

GO GET 'EM GUYS!!!!!

Now, I have a pretty darn good record for being able to find information on the net, but I have NOT been able to find ANY list of rules or regulations for the Cleveland Metro Parks AT ALL.

I did find a thread on The Highroad forum, posted 4 and a half years ago concerning metro park violations of ORC 9.68. However, the link in post #3 of that thread to park rules is dead.

Are the park rangers now maintaining order "a cappella" ?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Can someone give a rough scenario for what will likely happen during an OC walk?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

rimfireOH wrote:Can someone give a rough scenario for what will likely happen during an OC walk?
Walking around and talking with firearms generally visible. If confronted by the public, give a small education on firearm safety and rights or pass it on to someone else that may be willing to talk more. If confronted by law enforcement, let the person in charge of the "walk" handle it but still remember to notify if needed to comply with the law.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

AlanM wrote:...Now, I have a pretty darn good record for being able to find information on the net, but I have NOT been able to find ANY list of rules or regulations for the Cleveland Metro Parks AT ALL...
It must be all that Virginia weather messing with your Google-fu...

https://clevelandmetroparks.com/about/c ... egulations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.conwaygreene.com/clemetroparks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
rimfireOH wrote:Can someone give a rough scenario for what will likely happen during an OC walk?
Walking around and talking with firearms generally visible. If confronted by the public, give a small education on firearm safety and rights or pass it on to someone else that may be willing to talk more. If confronted by law enforcement, let the person in charge of the "walk" handle it but still remember to notify if needed to comply with the law.
If you attend there are some (hopefully obvious) rules.

1. DO NOT draw you weapon. EVER! Unless you are about to shoot someone. In which case, you had better have a very good reason.
That means if a media hack asks you to unholster so they can get a photo tell them in no uncertain terms that you will NOT.

2. On this walk I would not carry a long gun. They wouldn't be appropriate in the park even without the signage.

There's probably more but it's early and my brain's a little fuzzy right now.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

AlanM wrote:... On this walk I would not carry a long gun. They wouldn't be appropriate in the park even without the signage...
If one DOES choose to carry a long gun during an open carry walk, I suggest following two simple rules of thumb:

1) Keep it slung. If it doesn't have a sling, get one...or make one. Walking around with a rifle or shotgun IN YOUR HANDS is NOT a good idea.

2) Keep the chamber empty. If it's going to be slung over your shoulder or across your back, there are simply too many things that could cause a negligent discharge, including people.

Please note that I have no objection to having a loaded magazine in the firearm. Just don't make it easy for some jackhole to walk up and make you and the group look bad. Handguns in a holster that covers the trigger? Load that chamber. The exposed safety and trigger carried out of your field of vision? Empty chamber.
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
AlanM wrote:... On this walk I would not carry a long gun. They wouldn't be appropriate in the park even without the signage...
If one DOES choose to carry a long gun during an open carry walk, I suggest following two simple rules of thumb:

1) Keep it slung. If it doesn't have a sling, get one...or make one. Walking around with a rifle or shotgun IN YOUR HANDS is NOT a good idea.

2) Keep the chamber empty. If it's going to be slung over your shoulder or across your back, there are simply too many things that could cause a negligent discharge, including people.

Please note that I have no objection to having a loaded magazine in the firearm. Just don't make it easy for some jackhole to walk up and make you and the group look bad. Handguns in a holster that covers the trigger? Load that chamber. The exposed safety and trigger carried out of your field of vision? Empty chamber.
Agreed. And to add a preference of mine, chamber empty and bolt closed. Otherwise it's too easy to toggle the bolt release thereby chambering a round...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!