Norma Johnson center in Dover

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
stew47

Norma Johnson center in Dover

Post by stew47 »

Hello just a question on whether this facility is posting in violation. It's a conservation center run by a board and based in the Tuscarawas soil and water district. One third of the land is owned by soil and water and the other two thirds are owned by tusc county commissioners. Any thoughts?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Norma Johnson center in Dover

Post by JustaShooter »

Any chance you can post pictures of the sign(s)? One close enough to read, and one a bit father back to be able to see the context of where the sign is posted would be great.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
stew47

Post by stew47 »

I'll try to stop out and take a picture. Basically you drive to middle of the area and there are restrooms, a shelter, a barn, and finally a bulletin board with maps, rules which mention no firearms then a big old gun buster sign
stew47

Post by stew47 »

http://normajohnsoncenter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The sign(s) and rule(s) are illegal.

940.01 Definitions.
As used in this chapter:

(A) "Soil and water conservation district" means a district organized in accordance with this chapter.
940.03 County to have district coextensive with its geographic area.
Each county shall have a soil and water conservation district coextensive with the geographic area of the county, and each district shall constitute a political subdivision of this state.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sent this:
While I have not visited to see for myself, I have been informed by an acquaintance that the NJC does have signage and/or rules prohibiting firearms on the property.

If not, please disregard this message.

If such signs or rules DO exist, can you please let me know where such rules or signage apply?

As both the county and the SWCD are political subdivisions of the state, both are subject to general laws of the state, including R.C. 9.68. It is settled law that public entities cannot restrict firearms beyond those restrictions in the Ohio Revised Code.

You may have such a sign or rule for buildings where employees regularly are present, but not on buildings that are primarily shelters or bathrooms. This means that shelter houses, barns, garages and any buildings that are regularly rented out may not be posted with "No Guns" signage, but a building with a staffed office, a staffed maintenance facility or other location where employees or staff "regularly are present" may be posted.

For your reference, please review
"Ohioans for Concealed Carry, Inc. v. Clyde, 120 Ohio St.3d 96, 2008-Ohio-4605"
and
"Cleveland v. State, 128 Ohio St.3d 135, 2010-Ohio-6318"

Also, please treat this communication as a public record.

Thanks!

-"MWSY"
March 8, 2016
MyWifeSaidYes
stew47

Post by stew47 »

My hat is off and that is outstanding work. Thank you.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Stew, hold your applause and throwing money ;) until we see how those mud people (Soil and water, haha) respond to the missive.

No, actually, you're most kind to compliment MWSY. He does a lot of good stuff.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
stew47

Post by stew47 »

Lol no he deserves applause for the effort and the ofcc needs showered with money ... I renewed my membership. My apologies for letting it lapse.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

stew47 wrote:Lol no he deserves applause for the effort and the ofcc needs showered with money ... I renewed my membership. My apologies for letting it lapse.
Thank you, stew.

Now, would someone please show that post to Jeff Garvas? :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes