Sawyer Point

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Glock513

Sawyer Point

Post by Glock513 »

Hi. In Cincinnati, OH at some big events, I've seen officers at Sawyer Point, which is a public park, searching bags, etc. Not worried about that, figure they're looking for potential IEDs,etc. Cool. But, they were also using metal detectors wands, I think to prohibit the entry of guns, even though some people are licensed to carry. So, if they are prohibiting law abiding Ohioans with CCW permits from entering, this would be a violation?
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
Brian D.

Re: Sawyer Point

Post by Brian D. »

Joe, we have questions along those lines come up before the Labor Day weekend fireworks held there each year. For some such events like this there are claims made that the park has been "leased" to one private entity or another. Nobody ever seems to be able to find such paperwork, at least with any verbiage banning firearms, via public records requests though.

Forum member BB62 has organized open carry events duringthe last couple Labor Day shindigs and in short the PD has not tried to stop them. You may wish to send him a PM on the topic in general, and also look up some of the previous discussions under his user name.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Glock513 wrote:Hi. In Cincinnati, OH at some big events, I've seen officers at Sawyer Point, which is a public park, searching bags, etc. Not worried about that, figure they're looking for potential IEDs,etc. Cool. But, they were also using metal detectors wands, I think to prohibit the entry of guns, even though some people are licensed to carry. So, if they are prohibiting law abiding Ohioans with CCW permits from entering, this would be a violation?
First off, I think you should be concerned that they are searching bags, but that's a different discussion.

IF the park has been leased to a private group or company, that entity can impose their own restrictions.

IF the city is putting on the event, they cannot restrict open carry or licensed concealed carry.

IF the city IS putting on the event, they had better show you a warrant or have a good reason for searching you.
MyWifeSaidYes
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:IF the city IS putting on the event, they had better show you a warrant or have a good reason for searching you.
What would be examples of "a good reason" to search people without a warrant?
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

The last 2 events I have went to at Sawyer point, they were searching and wanding, but only people who walked up to them and 'volunteered'. I just walked in around the persons 'volunteering' to be searched. Don't know if they have went to requiring everyone be searched or not, but I was amazed at the number of people who would just walk up to the officer and wait for them to search them.

JLE
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

sd790 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:IF the city IS putting on the event, they had better show you a warrant or have a good reason for searching you.
What would be examples of "a good reason" to search people without a warrant?
Reasonable, Articulable Suspicion or Probable Cause.

An example? If you match a description of a suspect, they can detain you. If they can detain you, they can do a pat-down.
MyWifeSaidYes
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Would it not be correct, that if directed to be the next candidate wandee, you should inform the respective officer of your carry status before legal/illegal search with/without probable cause was conducted ?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good