Restricting Magazine Capacity

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

Restricting Magazine Capacity

Postby scottb » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:01 pm

If a city ordinance states that
"Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long or long-rifle cartridges."

is it a legal ordinance?

This whole definition, I believe, was a copy of the State definition. Now that the State has modified its definition, I assume that cities will, in due time, modify their ordinances as well. I will hold my breath...
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
User avatar
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:42 pm
Location: Wooster

Re: Restricting Magazine Capacity

Postby djthomas » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:28 pm

If you're asking about Wooster specifically, then yes I believe it's a legal ordinance. Superfluous for sure, but not contrary to 9.68.
Never ask if you can carry at a non-posted place, but always ask why you cannot at one that is!
Just because they offer call ahead seating doesn't mean you call ahead for carry permission.
User avatar
djthomas
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Medina County

Re: Restricting Magazine Capacity

Postby TJW815 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:36 pm

You should let your city council know that they are no longer in line with the state definition of an "automatic firearm"
User avatar
TJW815
 
Posts: 2438
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:13 pm
Location: Warren County

Re: Restricting Magazine Capacity

Postby djthomas » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:55 pm

TJW815 wrote:You should let your city council know that they are no longer in line with the state definition of an "automatic firearm"

And if they wanted to be snippy about it they'd say "so what, it's not like we're actually using that definition for anything..." ;) Again, this assumes we're talking about Wooster only.
Never ask if you can carry at a non-posted place, but always ask why you cannot at one that is!
Just because they offer call ahead seating doesn't mean you call ahead for carry permission.
User avatar
djthomas
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Medina County

Re: Restricting Magazine Capacity

Postby pirateguy191 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:08 pm

djthomas wrote:If you're asking about Wooster specifically, then yes I believe it's a legal ordinance. Superfluous for sure, but not contrary to 9.68.


How does it not go against 9.68?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
User avatar
pirateguy191
 
Posts: 10735
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:06 pm
Location: 44146

Re: Restricting Magazine Capacity

Postby djthomas » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:31 pm

pirateguy191 wrote:
djthomas wrote:If you're asking about Wooster specifically, then yes I believe it's a legal ordinance. Superfluous for sure, but not contrary to 9.68.


How does it not go against 9.68?

Because Wooster has no corresponding ordinance prohibiting the possession of a firearm meeting that definition. Nothing in 9.68 prohibits them from defining anything they want. It's only when they try to criminalize certain conduct contrary to state law that there's a problem. Looks to me like they cleared the books of all firearms offenses except discharging within the city limits.
Never ask if you can carry at a non-posted place, but always ask why you cannot at one that is!
Just because they offer call ahead seating doesn't mean you call ahead for carry permission.
User avatar
djthomas
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Medina County

Re: Restricting Magazine Capacity

Postby pirateguy191 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:39 pm

djthomas wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:
djthomas wrote:If you're asking about Wooster specifically, then yes I believe it's a legal ordinance. Superfluous for sure, but not contrary to 9.68.


How does it not go against 9.68?

Because Wooster has no corresponding ordinance prohibiting the possession of a firearm meeting that definition. Nothing in 9.68 prohibits them from defining anything they want. It's only when they try to criminalize certain conduct contrary to state law that there's a problem. Looks to me like they cleared the books of all firearms offenses except discharging within the city limits.


Gotcha, I wasn't paying much attention.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
User avatar
pirateguy191
 
Posts: 10735
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:06 pm
Location: 44146

Re: Restricting Magazine Capacity

Postby TJW815 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:49 pm

djthomas wrote:
TJW815 wrote:You should let your city council know that they are no longer in line with the state definition of an "automatic firearm"

And if they wanted to be snippy about it they'd say "so what, it's not like we're actually using that definition for anything..." ;) Again, this assumes we're talking about Wooster only.


I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I mean they make good paint brushes and stuff.
User avatar
TJW815
 
Posts: 2438
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:13 pm
Location: Warren County

Re: Restricting Magazine Capacity

Postby scottb » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:31 am

Looks like djthomas is correct - the city of Wooster does not have an ordinance prohibiting possession. I will stick to engineering. Thanks.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
User avatar
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:42 pm
Location: Wooster

Re: Restricting Magazine Capacity

Postby troy bilt » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:35 pm

So its totally legal to walk around Wooster with a automatic firearm with no stamp :roll:
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
User avatar
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:53 pm
Location: Norwalk

Re: Restricting Magazine Capacity

Postby JustaShooter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:08 pm

troy bilt wrote:So its totally legal to walk around Wooster with a automatic firearm with no stamp :roll:

As far as the city of Wooster is concerned, yes. Ohio and Federal law, on the other hand, are an entirely different matter...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
User avatar
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Akron/Canton Area

Re: Restricting Magazine Capacity

Postby djthomas » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:46 pm

JustaShooter wrote:
troy bilt wrote:So its totally legal to walk around Wooster with a automatic firearm with no stamp :roll:

As far as the city of Wooster is concerned, yes. Ohio and Federal law, on the other hand, are an entirely different matter...

And by the way, City of Wooster LEOs are fully empowered to arrest and charge under the pertinent state statues.
Never ask if you can carry at a non-posted place, but always ask why you cannot at one that is!
Just because they offer call ahead seating doesn't mean you call ahead for carry permission.
User avatar
djthomas
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Medina County


Return to ORC 9.68 Compliance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron