2015-2016 Hunting Regulations

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

2015-2016 Hunting Regulations

Post by troy bilt »

I don't remember how this was worded last year. Usefully any changes are in red. Very confusing and what I believe to be still in violation of 9.68.

Under things deer hunter can do.

11. A person possessing a valid concealed handgun license may carry their con- cealed handgun while hunting, but it may not be used to shoot, shoot at, or kill any wild animal. For more informa- tion go to ohioattorneygeneral.gov.

Under things a deer hunter can not do.

4. Carry a handgun while hunting deer during the deer muzzleloader season and the archery season; have more than one firearm while hunting deer; carry a handgun being used during hunting in a concealed manner. Except as noted in No. 11 under A Deer Hunter Can Do the Following.

According to this one can not open carry a handgun for protection without a CHL.

I will be open carrying tomorrow while I am dove hunting as I have done for the past 3 years. We get checked every year and so far I have had no problems. Lets hope this trend continues.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: 2015-2016 Hunting Regulations

Post by Mr. Glock »

DNR is a different world. Well before you joined the forum, many of us went to DNR open houses to combat the fact you could not conceal carry a handgun while hunting anything. At all. None. I mention this to illuminate past history.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

IIRC, you can not open carry a handgun while hunting, even if you do have a CHL, unless it is the gun you are using to hunt with.

I don't have time to look it up, but it's been discussed here a number of times in the past.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

djmac, that was the old regs. Last couple of years (possibly more), it has been legal to carry a concealed handgun while hunting, just can't use it while hunting (to hunt with). It must remain concealed and if you are hunting during firearm season, you must be using a different firearm to hunt with and the hunting firearm can not be concealed. At least that is how it was explained to me. If wrong, someone please correct me; you won't hurt my feelings.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

WY_Not wrote:djmac, that was the old regs. Last couple of years (possibly more), it has been legal to carry a concealed handgun while hunting, just can't use it while hunting (to hunt with). It must remain concealed and if you are hunting during firearm season, you must be using a different firearm to hunt with and the hunting firearm can not be concealed. At least that is how it was explained to me. If wrong, someone please correct me; you won't hurt my feelings.
Djmac was referring to open carry in his post, as was the OP.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yep. Read it too quickly. Hunting firearm must be OC. Concealed firearm must be concealed. Can't OC a non-hunting firearm.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

WY_Not wrote:Yep. Read it too quickly. Hunting firearm must be OC. Concealed firearm must be concealed. Can't OC a non-hunting firearm.
It is legal to hunt with handguns. Unless you are hunting deer you can carry more than one hunting implement. You can carry a shotgun to hunt doves and also openly carry a 9mm handgun to hunt squirrels. I wrote to the ODNR Division of Wildlife, about these regulations that appear to violate 9.68. I was told, 'if you don't like it, don't hunt'. When OFCC is done with OSU they may take on the ODNR.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

I have not looked this up yet, but I was told that it is no longer required to have a plug as long as you don't load more than 3 shells.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

yogidave wrote:I have not looked this up yet, but I was told that it is no longer required to have a plug as long as you don't load more than 3 shells.

That's what the Game Warden told us at one of the Conservation club meetings where I'm a member.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Tru-Heathen wrote:
yogidave wrote:I have not looked this up yet, but I was told that it is no longer required to have a plug as long as you don't load more than 3 shells.

That's what the Game Warden told us at one of the Conservation club meetings where I'm a member.
Originally, that came out with the newer deer cartridges- since many are fired in rifles- IIRC but I don't know how it affects to shotguns for deer or migratory birds.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

True, I don't think anyone at the meeting brought that up about waterfowl, they were more interested in deer hunting . IIRC,he did state that for deer hunting the "plug" was no longer required.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I'd guess waterfowl is Federal rules, since migratory game is under Federal jurisdiction.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Yep, the Feds rule here.
In order to hunt migratory game birds, your shotgun cannot be capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler incapable of removal without disassembling the gun.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

This was the 1st year that I was not checked on opening day of dove season. I could of let you know if they where checking for plugs if we where checked.

My dad has a Tristar 20Ga that there plug checker somehow slips right into and goes up way to far. You should of seen the look on his face the 1st time they shoved there tool way up his tube. :lol: After the 2nd year they started remembering him and his odd ball plug.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.