Fraze Pavillion

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Voice

Fraze Pavillion

Post by Voice »

Went to the Weird Al concert at the Fraze Pavillion last weekend. I didn't see any signs posted on the way in, by was checking out the web site (http://www.fraze.com/guest-services/faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) afterwards, and found this:
WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED IN FRAZE PAVILION?
For the safety and security of all patrons, the following items are NOT permitted: weapons (including knives and firearms), alcoholic beverages, animals, cans, bottles or other beverage containers, coolers, outside food, cameras, camcorders, recording devices, selfie sticks, signs & posters (including handmade ones), fireworks, laser pointers, lawn chairs, beach chairs, stadium seats, skateboards, bicycles, picnic baskets, strollers, umbrellas, bug spray in aerosol cans or any other item deemed dangerous or inappropriate.

PLEASE NOTE: All cellular phones should be turned off or set to “vibrate” prior to the start of the show. All carry-in items/bags, including purses, will be searched. Please allow sufficient time upon arrival for screening.

I HAVE A VALID OHIO CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE, MAY I TAKE MY HANDGUN INTO THE FRAZE PAVILION?
No. Under Ohio law, the Fraze Pavilion is classified as a government building, and pursuant to Ohio Revised Code section 2923.1212, no firearms are permitted to be taken into the Fraze Pavilion.
Given that the Fraze Pavillion is outdoors, I don't see how it can count as a building at all. (The actual stage structure? Sure. But the outdoor seating area?) Surely this can't be valid in the face of ORC 9.68.
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Fraze Pavillion

Post by JustJack »

This is just weird. Per the Montgomery County Auditors office, the land Fraze is on is owned by the City of Kettering (with a Dayton mailing address), but it's land use description is "EXEMPT PROPERTY OWNED BY COUNTIES". So, who owns it? The City (which doesn't even have it's own address) or the County? Either way, Voice is right, it's an open air amphitheater and certainly doesn't meet the criteria for a "government building" in 2923.1212.

IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I talked to them a couple years ago: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=61003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fraze Pavillion is an "open air arena" with a D liquor permit, so you will need a CHL to carry there.

I'll touch base with them again about their online rules.
MyWifeSaidYes
Voice

Post by Voice »

Just read the old thread, and it looks like the no firearms rule is back in the 'about' page as well.
I don't know if it is echoed anywhere else on the site.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

This is what is on their "About the venue" page.
...For the safety and security of all patrons, the following items are NOT permitted: weapons (including knives), firearms (unless permitted by applicable law),...
and just below that paragraph...
FIREARMS ARE PROHIBITED UNLESS PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW!

Now, what they have listed on the Guest Services FAQ page is a bit different and VERY misleading...
WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED IN FRAZE PAVILION?
For the safety and security of all patrons, the following items are NOT permitted: weapons (including knives and firearms), alcoholic beverages, animals, cans, bottles or other beverage containers, coolers, outside food, cameras, camcorders, recording devices, selfie sticks, signs & posters (including handmade ones), fireworks, laser pointers, lawn chairs, beach chairs, stadium seats, skateboards, bicycles, picnic baskets, strollers, umbrellas, bug spray in aerosol cans or any other item deemed dangerous or inappropriate.

I HAVE A VALID OHIO CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE, MAY I TAKE MY HANDGUN INTO THE FRAZE PAVILION?
No. Under Ohio law, the Fraze Pavilion is classified as a government building, and pursuant to Ohio Revised Code section 2923.1212, no firearms are permitted to be taken into the Fraze Pavilion.
This is misleading because ONLY the PAVILLION BUILDING, including the stage, would be considered a government building. The open air seating area would not.

It WOULD be an "open air arena" with a liquor license, so a CHL is required to carry in the open air areas.
MyWifeSaidYes
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I've not been to this particular venue but wouldn't the pavilion part count as a shelter, and thus not be off limits? I think about how Blossom Music Center is and the public only has access to what is basically a giant rain shelter like you'd find in the Metroparks. Yeah there's seats, but there's no walls and it's completely open to the elements with the exception of the overhead roof.

The areas that require you to actually go through a door and enter a building are off limits with security.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

At Fraze, all the seating is 'open air'. The roof only covers the stage.

Their argument was that, since the public isn't permitted to the sheltered part of the stage (during performances), the pavilion is not 'primarily' a shelter.

MyWifeSaidYes
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Perfect. That makes it a slam dunk then. Just don't go where you aren't allowed and you will have no problems.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Since I used to live close to Blossom I did a quick search.
Their online rules page doesn't mention weapons at all that I can see.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

AlanM wrote:Since I used to live close to Blossom I did a quick search.
Their online rules page doesn't mention weapons at all that I can see.
Caveats:
1) It's been years since I've been to Blossom
2) Not since High School have I attended anything but a Orchestra or Pops performance there.

With that said I've never seen any type of real physical security, but I've heard that the younger and louder the crowd and music are the more security is ramped up, up to and including wands and patdowns.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

For comparable circumstances, please see the visit to Lock 3 Park in Akron:

https://youtu.be/4W_2XaaAaXk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please note that this event occurred only after notice was given to the police and city prosecutor, and after applicable law was reviewed. Due to the D permit covering those premises, only CHL holders participated in that portion of the event.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

I was taking driving classes at Blossom 15 years ago and the night before one of our classes OZ fest happened there and they had to cancel the class for the day because the mass amount of syringes that were left everywhere