Croghan Park Fairlawn, Posted

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
wickedgreyzx3

Croghan Park Fairlawn, Posted

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

Posted, No Firearms permitted. Called the Mayors office and asked about it, girl on the phone said, we can ban guns where ever we want, lol...

Sent an email off this morning CCing Mayor, Police, Parks and Law departments. will keep updated.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Croghan Park Fairlawn, Posted

Post by WY_Not »

Did you get the twits name?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Oh, dear! It appears that the City of Fairlawn is not familiar with R.C. 9.68.
"No person, other than law enforcement officers, shall possess, carry, control, discharge, use, convey or attempt to convey firearms of any description, including but not limited to, deadly weapons, dangerous ordnance or replica weapons in the park." Fairlawn Code for Ordinances § 1068.01(20).
"Weapons Generally. No person shall carry on or about his or her person a pistol, a knife having a blade two and one-half (2-1/2) inches in length or longer, knuckles, a billy or other dangerous weapon. However, upon the trial of this charge, the defendant shall be acquitted if it appears that he or she was at the time engaged in a lawful business, calling, employment or occupation, and that the circumstances in which he or she was placed justified a prudent man or woman to possess such a weapon for the defense of his or her person or family." Fairlawn Code for Ordinances § 672.02(a).
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Give them one chance............then we walk. :P
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

pirateguy191 wrote:Give them one chance............then we walk. :P
The best protocol is two chances: once in writing (by email), and once by personal appearance (before city council). Then we walk.

(In case we need to progress to the second stage - a city council meeting - is anyone in these forums a resident of Fairlawn?)

Keep in mind that, contrary to the popular belief in gun forums, most judges, lawyers, and government officials don't know that R.C. 9.68 even exists ... until they are confronted with a violation. You need to give them time to learn about it. I sometimes imagine them looking it up and saying, "Oh my God! Really?!"
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

No response today. I'm off on Wednesday so if I don't get a reply by then I'll be showing up with a copy of 9.68
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

wickedgreyzx3 wrote:No response today. I'm off on Wednesday so if I don't get a reply by then I'll be showing up with a copy of 9.68
I don't want to dash your hopes, but that alone won't do you much good. They may argue that there are many reasons why the statute does not apply to them.

You would be better served by also bringing along a copy of Cleveland v. State, 128 Ohio St.3d 135, 2010-Ohio-6318. Don't worry; you don't need to understand everything it says. Someone in city government will.
-- BobK
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote:... I sometimes imagine them looking it up and saying, "Oh my God! Really?!"
I don't have to imagine it.

I've been there when they actually say that.

More than once. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Fairlawn's the place that tried to convene a "secret" town council meeting to pass an emergency gun ban about 10-15 years ago.
The local pro-gun people found out about the meeting and filled it with voters that told the council in no uncertain terms what would happen to their political careers if they passed the statute or tried it again.
One of the city officials involved was quite amazed at the reaction to their "secret" meeting. He was one of the speakers at a round table held by Toby Hoover at the Akron Public Library some time back.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

I popped them an email as well. Perhaps if they see resistance coming from multiple directions they will be a little quicker on the uptake.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

In regards to emails sent to Parks and Rec, mayors office, the law department and the police department being ignored.

The rules posted at Croghan park, and I am sure others are in clear violation of ORC 9.68. If you are not clear on ORC 9.68 it preempts any existing firearms laws, except for discharging ordinances and buildings where government employees regularly converge for business.

If you question the validity of my post, and continue to offer the blatant disrespect of the US and Ohio constitutions and that of the Ohio revised code similar to that, of the woman answering the phones at the mayors office on Wednesday June 10 2015, then you may want your law director to read http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/do ... o-6318.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Posted that to Parks and Rec as well as the PDs Facebook page as well as a comment preceding that as, "failure to uphold the United States and Ohio constitutions"
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

I am fairlawn resident. I'm sure I'm going to start getting pulled over everywhere I go from now on
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

Thank you for your respective emails of June 12 & 13, 2015 regarding Code compliance with state law. I will review the same and make the appropriate changes where necessary and advise you accordingly.

Ed Riegler

Law Director
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Nice to see that's going to change for the better.
I used to take my youngest daughter to Croghan Park when she was just a toddler.
That was before we moved to Stow.
Good job!
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Alan, I see nothing in that law Director's reply that says he's going to let a darn thing get changed. Just enough weasel wording to make one think he's going to take action.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.