Croghan Park Fairlawn, Posted

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
AlanM

Re: Croghan Park Fairlawn, Posted

Post by AlanM »

I wasn't going by the law director's reply but by the past history of OFCC in getting errant city governments to abide by state law. :wink:
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sure, sooner or later we have to prevail. But it shouldn't have to be "later" at this point in time.

However I see reports on another forum that even VERY pro-gun states like Kentucky have municipal/county agencies that backslide and illegally repost years after the signage originally came down. Until the potential punishment includes throwing a mayor, law director, county commissioner etc. in the hoosegow we'll continue to see this public sector recidivism.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

wickedgreyzx3 wrote:Thank you for your respective emails of June 12 & 13, 2015 regarding Code compliance with state law. I will review the same and make the appropriate changes where necessary and advise you accordingly.

Ed Riegler

Law Director
I don't want to put too fine a point on this, but you need to go beyond "a sign at the park." As I pointed out above, there are ordinances still in the code of the municipality which enable those signs. If that is not resolved, the placement of the signs will continue. The ordinances must be amended or repealed to comply with R.C. 9.68. The law director does not make those changes; the city council does. The law director needs to introduce an amended ordinance for a vote by city council, and that will be on the city council agenda, which is published here. It was not on yesterday's agenda, and like many city councils, the meetings are reduced to once per month during the "vacation months" of July and August. You may wish to inquire if the law director plans to place it on the agenda for the July 13th meeting. If he responds that is too soon to prepare something, you can comment that if it is not on the agenda for the August 17th meeting, that there has been discussion that an open carry event could occur at the park. Such an event would probably look something like what is shown here, beginning at 3:27.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

''....if it is not on the agenda for the August 17th meeting, that there has been discussion that an open carry event could occur at the park. Such an event would probably look something like what is shown here, beginning at 3:27.''

I got to start thinking ahead. August comes quick, 1/2 way through June now. How far is Fairlawn from FFF. I know how far it is from here to FFF. thanks!
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

WhyNot wrote:''....if it is not on the agenda for the August 17th meeting, that there has been discussion that an open carry event could occur at the park. Such an event would probably look something like what is shown here, beginning at 3:27.''

I got to start thinking ahead. August comes quick, 1/2 way through June now. How far is Fairlawn from FFF. I know how far it is from here to FFF. thanks!
Which FFF?

The original one in Ashland is at Exit 186 on I-71. You would need to go up Exit 218, then drive about ten miles east on Route 18.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

ok excuse me I forgot. Yes the original one...so basically add 35 +- minutes to the drive, sound about right?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

WhyNot wrote:ok excuse me I forgot. Yes the original one...so basically add 35 +- minutes to the drive, sound about right?
Pretty much.
-- BobK
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

wickedgreyzx3 wrote:I am fairlawn resident. I'm sure I'm going to start getting pulled over everywhere I go from now on
Get that voice recorder now and keep a journal...

Oh, lets WALK!

Heck, I must admit that all my activism has been from a keyboard, phone and the USPS. (aside from the one gathering in Cleveland Heights where Garvas cooked hot dogs...). I've never been on an official "walk", and with most communities getting on board with 9.68 they will eventually be a thing of the past...

Lets do it! Although for the most part I'm not an open carrier, but I DID buy an OWB holster for the revolver and might even break down and get one for the 1911 safe queen that rarely sees the light of day. Lets put the cart ahead of the horse just this once.

The weather is great being right in the middle of summer and I bet I can bring a couple few friends who aren't even on these boards.
Forget work, it'll be here when I get back. Maybe we can even cook up some dogs for old times sake... Let's walk!
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

gaptrick wrote:
wickedgreyzx3 wrote:I am fairlawn resident. I'm sure I'm going to start getting pulled over everywhere I go from now on

Oh, lets WALK!

Heck, I must admit that all my activism has been from a keyboard, phone and the USPS. (aside from the one gathering in Cleveland Heights where Garvas cooked hot dogs...). I've never been on an official "walk", and with most communities getting on board with 9.68 they will eventually be a thing of the past...

Lets do it! Although for the most part I'm not an open carrier, but I DID buy an OWB holster for the revolver and might even break down and get one for the 1911 safe queen that rarely sees the light of day. Lets put the cart ahead of the horse just this once.

The weather is great being right in the middle of summer and I bet I can bring a couple few friends who aren't even on these boards.
Forget work, it'll be here when I get back. Maybe we can even cook up some dogs for old times sake... Let's walk!
Calm down! We haven't even given them a chance. The most successful and trouble-free open carry events are done with notice: when, where, and why. And parks really don't lend themselves to "walks"; bring a lawn chair.
-- BobK
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

Sent off another email in short,

Present new wordage to council on or before August 17 or an open carry walk will be planned.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Werz wrote:
gaptrick wrote:

Oh, lets WALK!

Calm down! We haven't even given them a chance. The most successful and trouble-free open carry events are done with notice: when, where, and why. And parks really don't lend themselves to "walks"; bring a lawn chair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNHcob3oJg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

Have not heard anything back. Sending a new email today to ask when it will be presented to council.
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

Made progress. After hinting to an open carry wall and not receiving a response I emailed him again that I would come to the meeting myself and bring it up. Well just now I got an email with the proposed changes. No longer do the rule state firearms are prohibited. Just discharging.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

wickedgreyzx3 wrote:Made progress. After hinting to an open carry wall and not receiving a response I emailed him again that I would come to the meeting myself and bring it up. Well just now I got an email with the proposed changes. No longer do the rule state firearms are prohibited. Just discharging.
Yep. That's often how it works. Give them a little time to research - and a little motivation to exert the effort - and they they are shocked to realize that they cannot lawfully do what they are doing, and no matter how hard they look, there is no exception which will fit.

That does not mean that it's over. When the proposed amendment is presented to the whole city council, there will likely be a few anti-gun council members who are sure that there must some exception or loophole that can be exploited to avoid their lovely city park from turning into a post-apocalypse, sci-fi movie where danger lurks around every corner, law enforcement no longer exists, and common life has returned to the days of the Wild West. Wait to see if it's brought up for a vote at the next council meeting.
-- BobK
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

The meeting is this Monday evening and I will be attending.