Croghan Park Fairlawn, Posted

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Croghan Park Fairlawn, Posted

Post by WhyNot »

''I would really like to get a walk organized. I was given a Cease and Desist letter from work today about no further contact with Poland Village Police ...''

This was this your Dept's response to last year's incident, a minimum of 7 months ago? Seems rather UNTIMELY and therefore most likely invalid upon appeal.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

This is a new issue I've encountered due to the sign still being in place and an email I sent regarding open carrying in the Village.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

If anyone plans a walk or "social event" in the park....lol......count me in. Actually there may be four to six in my area that may come. We all live down around the Massillon area....probably about an hr+ away. I'll try to keep tabs on this thread.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

I think a separate thread needs to be created about Poland, Ohio, if there is some expectation of proceeding with an open carry event, or even an appearance before their city council. If it is not done right, it will reflect poorly on us. And the process needs to begin before the weather turns cold.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Croghan Park in Fairlawn is super easy to get to off of I77 on the west side of Akron.
I used to live quite close to that park and ~20 years ago used to take my 3 yo daughter there to play.

If you're coming from the south get off of I77 at the Miller Rd exit and take Miller straight north until it dead ends on Sand Run Parkway.
That's it.
If you're coming from the north on I77, exit at Ghent Rd and go south. Take the first left after the light at Smith Rd. The park will be on your right in a few hundred yards.

From the west, take 18 east from I71 (Media) to the Miller Rd. light and turn left.

Of course, telling you all of the above is unnecessary if you have a GPS.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Crogh ... 5f8f2b7881
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
centermass

Post by centermass »

Werz wrote: And the process needs to begin before the weather turns cold.
Quite alright. I have a gun cozy. :D
Thy rod and thy staff and thy .357, they comfort me.
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

I'll have to try and keep an eye on this thread. I know my fiancé would love to do this, schedule permitting of course.
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

Council repeals gun ban in Poland Municipal Forest; Solicitor laments CCW isn't "what the woods are designed for"
WFMJ (NBC Youngstown) is reporting that the Poland, OH village council has repealed an ordinance banning firearms in Poland Municipal Forest after threats of legal action from right-to-carry advocates.
Firearms now permitted in Poland Municipal Forest
Poland Village Solicitor, Anthony D'Apolitio, says, "I did some research on the Ohioans for Conceal Carry Permits and they are the folks going across the state of Ohio looking for these ordinances trying to make sure all the villages and townships are with the state law."
Poland council expected to vote on repealing firearms ordinance
Village council expected to take action to repeal firearms ordinance in Poland Municipal Forest
It’s unclear, D’Apolito said whether the individual who contacted the village is affiliated with that group Ohioans For Concealed Carry.
They never answered me, so I presumed they were ignoring me. I don't know if MWSY or someone else threw in as well, but I say one more down, to many to go.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

And speaking of Fairlawn, I completely forgot that they actually DID respond to my email. My bad for not sharing sooner. I received this answer on :oops: June 15th :oops:
Thank you for your respective emails of June 12 & 13, 2015 regarding Code compliance with state law. I will review the same and make the appropriate changes where necessary and advise you accordingly.

Ed Riegler

Law Director
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I don't think I got a chance to pitch in on this one.

EXCELLENT WORK !!!
MyWifeSaidYes
docachna

Post by docachna »

JustJack wrote:Council repeals gun ban in Poland Municipal Forest; Solicitor laments CCW isn't "what the woods are designed for"
WFMJ (NBC Youngstown) is reporting that the Poland, OH village council has repealed an ordinance banning firearms in Poland Municipal Forest after threats of legal action from right-to-carry advocates.
Firearms now permitted in Poland Municipal Forest
Poland Village Solicitor, Anthony D'Apolitio, says, "I did some research on the Ohioans for Conceal Carry Permits and they are the folks going across the state of Ohio looking for these ordinances trying to make sure all the villages and townships are with the state law."

Is my snark-alarm the only one that beeped just a tad when reading the remark by Mr. D'Apolitio ????

Geez, God Forbid villages and townships actually FOLLOW THE LAW, dude !!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

Oh I have a great story for everyone relating to this, I can't say too much yet...
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

wickedgreyzx3 wrote:Oh I have a great story for everyone relating to this, I can't say too much yet...
When you can, please start a new topic with the name of the city/village/park/etc in the subject line so we can track them separately.

This topic mixed the Fairlawn issue and the Poland issue.
MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Well, if we delay any open carry events until West Point Market builds their new store, I'll buy a Killer Brownie for MyWifeSaidYes, thus assuring his appearance. :lol:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.