Butler County Fair 2015

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
fyrfytr310

Butler County Fair 2015

Post by fyrfytr310 »

The Butler County Fair has been posted the last two years with no successes in talking with the Fair Board via email. Just doing a little pre-check, I see that firearms are restricted under their general guidelines found here on page 152.

I fully expect to see signs again this year. The fair is still a few weeks out but I was thinking about being proactive and reaching out AGAIN to the fair board and the sheriff's office.

Anyone want to jump on with me?
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
TJW815

Re: Butler County Fair 2015

Post by TJW815 »

Post up what you send and to who (or pm me) and I'll do the same more or less. Maybe our families will have to go to the fair this year.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Perhaps use local talk radio to your advantage. Sheriff Jones loves his celebrity status on WLW 700, pester the morning and afternoon shows about unlawful activity by Butler County officials and see if Jones will weigh in.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Brian D. wrote:Perhaps use local talk radio to your advantage. Sheriff Jones loves his celebrity status on WLW 700, pester the morning and afternoon shows about unlawful activity by Butler County officials and see if Jones will weigh in.
This is true. He loves hearing his own voice. But.... The community is veryich behind him so be careful to not come across as attacking or it could have a negative public reaction.
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

Has anyone compiled a list of ag societies that have agreed to comply with 9.68 as a result of our efforts? I might include them in my email.

*Edit to add my letter

This is the gist of what I am going send. This is a hijack of a letter MWSY sent in '13. I added some snark but could be compelled to remove.
To the Butler County Agricultural Society Board of Directors
(Jerry Bittner, Nick Forrest, Gary Gerber, Dave Hiltbrand, Josh Robinson, Leon Simpson, Doug Turner, Tim VanGorden, David Vollmer and Casey Wells),

In years past, the fairgrounds under your control has been posted with “No Guns” signage in violation of Ohio Revised Code 9.68.

Also, in years past, the Butler County Agricultural Society has held itself to be a private entity. This notion is false.

A county agricultural society is a body politic under Ohio Revised Code 1711.13.

If you wish to confirm this fact, the Ohio Revised Code can be accessed on-line. A link to the specific statute that establishes your entity as a body corporate and politic, and with the ability to sue and to be sued, can be found at: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1711.13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a body politic, the Butler County Agricultural Society is indeed a public entity.

As a public entity, the Society is bound to follow all state laws, including Ohio Revised Code 9.68.

ORC 9.68 is a General Provision (http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that disallows public entities below the state level to establish any ordinance, rule or regulation restricting the possession, transport or sale of firearms.

This law also allows for awarding costs and attorney fees should the Society fail to remove the illegal signage from the fairgrounds and any other open areas that may be under the Society’s control.

Can you please confirm to me that this year, the Butler County Agricultural Society will finally comply with state law, as well as follow many other Ag Societies in the state, and remove these illegal signs.

Thanks!

-fyrfytr310
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Miami County was very cooperative. They took down their signs a couple years ago.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I just called the Butler County Prosecutor's office. I'm waiting on him to call me back.

If he won't do anything, I would go with this:
Dear Fair Board,

I have arranged to have a group of about 30 law-abiding citizens attend the opening day of the Butler County Fair.

These citizens will each be openly carrying either a loaded rifle or a loaded shotgun. Many will also be legally open carrying a loaded, holstered sidearm.

We will have a photographer take our group picture around your illegally posted "No Guns" sign(s) at the fairgrounds.

This email is to give you 'fair' notice that your organization and our previous communications with you in an attempt to have these illegal signs removed WILL be mentioned in any media interviews we are asked to provide.

Thanks!
Last edited by MyWifeSaidYes on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MyWifeSaidYes
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Small typo.
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Dear Fair Board,

I have arranged to have a group of about 30 law-abiding citizens attend the opening day of the Butler County Fair.

These citizens will each be openly carrying either a loaded rifle or a loaded shotgun. Many will also be legally open carrying a loaded, holstered sidearm.

We will have a photographer take our group picture around your illegally posted "No Guns" sign(s) at the fairgrounds.

This email is to give you 'fair' notice that your organization and our previous communications with you in an attempt to have these illegal signs removed WILL be mentioned in any media interviews we are asked to provide.

Thanks!
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Fixed. Thanks!

This is one of those counties that I thought was going to be resolved, but did not follow up on it. Summer of 2013 was BUSY. I just checked my records and see that when I talked to Dan Ferguson (Prosecutor's office) I was at a client site and didn't spend much time on the phone with him.

I've got far less on my plate this year.

Anyone near Hamilton, OH have a couch I can sleep on for a night or two?

Also, can anyone post pictures of the offending signage?
Last edited by MyWifeSaidYes on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MyWifeSaidYes
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

I'll try to swing by tonight to get a picture.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

Tench Coxe
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Board president, Doug Turner, says there are no signs posted by the board. However, if one of the organizations that have rented the fairgrounds posted one and didn't take it down when they left, let him know and he will remove it.

He will also take a closer look at the fence and gates in case there is one posted that he is not aware of.

It's amazing how fast folks return your calls when you ask for their lawyer's phone number.

We await any picture fyrfytr can post.
MyWifeSaidYes
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Board president, Doug Turner, says there are no signs posted by the board. However, if one of the organizations that have rented the fairgrounds posted one and didn't take it down when they left, let him know and he will remove it.

He will also take a closer look at the fence and gates in case there is one posted that he is not aware of.

It's amazing how fast folks return your calls when you ask for their lawyer's phone number.

We await any picture fyrfytr can post.
Fantastic! I should be able to swing by in about an hour.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

Tench Coxe
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

I can happily confirm that I did not see any signs posted at the two exterior entrances along Fair Ave that I had seen in the past. However, I cannot confirm that the two interior entrances (accessed from the fenced parking lot which was locked today) are without signs. Might have to wait until the actual fair to confirm those.

Thanks MWSY!
-Mike

NRA Life Member

Tench Coxe