Wooster Memorial Park Posted

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Wooster Memorial Park Posted

Post by scottb »

A friend of mine visited Wooster Memorial Park this past weekend and found the following sign at the entrance where the trail heads are located. I am pretty sure that the sign is not in accordance with current law. I think that the posting is likely from the Friends of Wooster Memorial Park and not posted directly by the City.

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
TJW815

Re: Wooster Memorial Park Posted

Post by TJW815 »

I'm amused by the no loitering comment.
loi·ter
ˈloidər/
verb
gerund or present participle: loitering
stand or wait around idly or without apparent purpose.
I like just sitting in the park enjoying nature... Guess I wouldn't be welcome.

Oh, and the firearm bit.... You should contact the mayor/council about that.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

TJW815 wrote:I'm amused by the no loitering comment.
loi·ter
ˈloidər/
verb

Been there, done that. Ordinance amended. The sign may be old, or it may be posted by a private entity.

The loitering provision is there for a specific reason, and I doubt the moderators want a full discussion of that reason.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

TJW815 wrote:I'm amused by the no loitering comment.
loi·ter
ˈloidər/
verb

I doubt that you would be pitching a tent. I think that is what they are trying to avoid.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Ms. Mustang, I tend to cringe when the terms "loitering", "inducing panic", or "disturbing the peace" get thrown into a situation. Deliberate misuse by those in authority abounds.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

Actually the loitering thing is to prevent the unsavory activity that was commonplace down there in earlier years.

As I believe that the "Friends" of the park posted the rules, should I first approach them for remedy? Or do I go directly to the City as the park owner?

I am not even sure that this would pass "conspicuous" muster.

Thanks all
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

scottb wrote:Actually the loitering thing is to prevent the unsavory activity that was commonplace down there in earlier years.

As I believe that the "Friends" of the park posted the rules, should I first approach them for remedy? Or do I go directly to the City as the park owner?

I am not even sure that this would pass "conspicuous" muster.

Thanks all
I have already sent a message through http://www.friendsofwmp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The City of Wooster removed their "no guns in the park" ordinance in November 2012.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

After privately being brought up to speed on the things that happen at this "park" I retract my previous statement.... :shock:
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

That "sign" looks just like one I saw at Catawba Falls in NC. Since the falls are located in a national forest I'm not sure it was legal either.