Lock 3 Akron posted

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Uncle Duke

Re: Lock 3 Akron posted

Post by Uncle Duke »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
djthomas wrote:Hmm .. I wonder what private entity is in perpetual lease of the park to be allowed to post ... I did a quick search of liquor permits assigned to South Main St in Akron and didn't come up with any.
No intermediate entity. Straight up Akron owned and managed.

The D permit is probably issued to city hall.
Loja department of liquor control issues liquor licenses to vendors who did not have a fixed location of business. These are typically vendors to travel from one venue to another, such as county fairs and community sponsored events. Thosef from the Akron area would be familiar with rocking on the river in Cuyahoga Falls and the various ethnic events that occur on the Front St., River Park Mall. For 20 years or so on Rockin' on the River was sponsored by the Cuyahoga Falls Jaycees who was the liquor permit holder, so if you went to the website for Ohio DLC you would only find permits issued to restaurants on Front Street.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

catfish86 wrote:... municipal owned, run by a contractor.
I would think it depends on the contract between the entities.

If it's just a contractor OPERATIING the garages, they can't post.

If the city LEASED the garages to the contractor, then they may post.

We tried to get that part fixed in HB 234, but it got dropped in committee.
MyWifeSaidYes
srtalkalot

Post by srtalkalot »

Hi my name is Andy from Englewood Ohio Yes this is a proper posting under the law 2923.121(A) for people that open carry without a ccw. Under 2923.121 (B) (1) This section does not apply to any of the following: (e) Any person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license, as long as the person is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse. With this being said if you have a CCW they can not stop you. This yea alone I bust Trotwood signs in parks and ordinances, Troy signs in parks,cemetery ordinances I was on the front page of there news paper. Also city of Kettering made them remove signs from the swimming pool building as part was a shelter between to buildings and restroom that was only accessible from out side doors . There law director had a meeting with the Assistant Attorney General of Ohio. Also made Miamiburg, and Centerville-Washington park district to remove signs and working with another city now. I also been working with the Advisory Council to the General Assembly. I been busy this year and plan on fighting next year too. One thing I hear on this site that {inappropriate language} me off, is the people that miss think that if some one work there they can not carry. This a misconception of the law, here is the way I can get you to believe it with out going into a lot of detail. The parking garage under the capital has ndividuals working there and we all know we can carry there. I can take this on to make shore CCW are allowed in but it hrs away from me. Also if you want to email me to ask questions or to get my number so I can help its srtalkalot@yahoo.com. Also I got some of my old emails I can send by email to help out. I hope I can help.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Srtalkalot-

1. Welcome back. We haven't heard from you since April.

2. When you say 'proper posting', are you referring to the original topic (Lock 3 Park) or the garages in the last few posts?

If about the park, how is it proper? Why would an open carrier not be allowed there if no alcohol is being consumed?

3. What "Advisory Council"? How do we contact them?

4. You CAN'T carry in the statehouse garage, you can only store your firearm in your vehicle.

5. Paragraphs and spelling.
MyWifeSaidYes
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
catfish86 wrote:When I frequented downtown Akron I noticed that several municipal run parking garages were posted. At the courthouse I asked a deputy at the metal detector if someone with a concealed weapon permit storing there pistol in a trunk would be a violation, he shrugged and didn't answer. My point being that Akron and Summit County are less than respectful of concealed carry and firearms laws that limit their authority.
Can you give me more info about those garages? :twisted:
Canal Place Parking Garage, right off (I think) Main, across from the Akron bus terminal. Posted with weather-beaten signs (no doublet pre-change in the Ohio law) but owned by the City of Akron. I haven't been there is quite some time, but it probably hasn't changed.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
srtalkalot

Post by srtalkalot »

1st if the park is a class D liquor permit it can be posted as you need a ccw. If you have a ccw then you can carry openly where a class D liquor permit is. I would recommend find out what class it is F or D permit then go from there. With the parking garage you said only store a firearm in a car this is wrong under 2923.126 (B) 9 " ... parking facility for motor vehicles, ...". No were dose it say in your can't carry in the capital garage. As per 2923.126 you can have them in a parking facility out side of a mother vehicle. Only can be in the parking facility for motor vehicles. As to advisory council they also control the parking facility under there capital and I been I contact with them planty of times.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Just a quick note. I walked by the park entrance Saturday night. The gunbuster sign is still there, right at the top of the sign post. If we plan to take any action on this, we should be pressing the city now so that, when the weather gets warm, we will be in a good position to give them notice of an upcoming open carry event.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

There is a good chance that some or all of the group taking part in the University of Akron Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk (on April 25) will mosey on down to Lock 3 Park for pictures and whatever after the UA Walk. The city/prosecutor has been notified of their deceptive, at minimum, signage - by someone other than myself. :?: :wink:

Also, a reporter from the Akron Beacon Journal has been made aware of the circumstances and the after-walk walk.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Has anyone been to an event at Lock 3 Park during which alcoholic beverages were being served?

If so, is there a specific location within the park from which those alcoholic beverages were dispensed?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

srtalkalot wrote:1st if the park is a class D liquor permit it can be posted as you need a ccw. If you have a ccw then you can carry openly where a class D liquor permit is. I would recommend find out what class it is F or D permit then go from there. With the parking garage you said only store a firearm in a car this is wrong under 2923.126 (B) 9 " ... parking facility for motor vehicles, ...". No were dose it say in your can't carry in the capital garage. As per 2923.126 you can have them in a parking facility out side of a mother vehicle. Only can be in the parking facility for motor vehicles. As to advisory council they also control the parking facility under there capital and I been I contact with them planty of times.

you say ccw in your second sentence. Do you mean CHL (as Ohio issues)?
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The ohio.com article on the UofA OC walk had the following on Lock3

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/gun ... s-1.586490

"The walk ended at Lock 3, where Smith and others took issue with the “No Firearms or Weapons Allowed on these premises” sign. The warning is unenforceable for a public park when people have a concealed carry permit and the area hasn’t been rented, Smith said.
“It is the wrong sign and it needs to be changed,” he said.
City Prosecutor Gert Wilms, reached after the walk, said the park is covered by a liquor permit and the sign is appropriate."

The following link shows a youtube vid, the end of which has the OC group mugging around the sign and inside the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_2Xaa ... e=youtu.be
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

catfish86 wrote:The ohio.com article on the UofA OC walk had the following on Lock3

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/gun ... s-1.586490

"The walk ended at Lock 3, where Smith and others took issue with the “No Firearms or Weapons Allowed on these premises” sign. The warning is unenforceable for a public park when people have a concealed carry permit and the area hasn’t been rented, Smith said.
“It is the wrong sign and it needs to be changed,” he said.
City Prosecutor Gert Wilms, reached after the walk, said the park is covered by a liquor permit and the sign is appropriate."

The following link shows a youtube vid, the end of which has the OC group mugging around the sign and inside the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_2Xaa ... e=youtu.be
Here is a link to the Facebook event page for the walk: https://www.facebook.com/events/1592187871040889/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wrote an e-mail to Ms. Wilms today, copying in the author of the newpaper article, asking Ms. Wilms to clarify her statement. I suspect she (or someone advising her) is playing games with the "Unless otherwise authorized by law" portion of the signage.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

Ohio needs a law like this: http://www.guns.com/2015/03/23/bill-aut ... as-senate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bill authorizing $10,000 fines for ‘no guns’ signs passes Texas Senate

"A proposal that won the approval of the Texas Senate last week could leave concealed carry permit holders in the Lone Star State with fewer “gun-free zones” — under threat of heavy fines.

The measure, filed in January, would not only prohibit many state and local public buildings from barring lawful concealed carry, it would strip sovereign immunity from governmental bodies and officials who pursued such policies and allow them to be sued by gun owners for damages..."

Got Freedom?

JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

BB62 wrote:The measure, filed in January, would not only prohibit many state and local public buildings from barring lawful concealed carry, it would strip sovereign immunity from governmental bodies and officials who pursued such policies and allow them to be sued by gun owners for damages..."
Me likey.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
hAkron

Post by hAkron »

Werz wrote:Has anyone been to an event at Lock 3 Park during which alcoholic beverages were being served?

If so, is there a specific location within the park from which those alcoholic beverages were dispensed?
There are a number of little stalls out of which they serve beverages (beer, wine, soda, water). These are along the front of the venue (closest to Main Street. I don't know if each stall is a separate private vendor, or if all of the vendors work for the promoter, or for the venue.