Message to Site Coordinators Moderators Patrons

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
AmendII71

Re: Message to Site Coordinators Moderators Patrons

Post by AmendII71 »

I would attend the meeting tonight if I did not have to go to another evening meeting for work purposes. However, I can tell you right now from experience with this group that the discussion has a very slim chance tonight of being based on fact, logic and reason. I will be shocked if they remove the signs without someone with some clout showing up and telling them. I worked for this clown bunch for years and they will view me as nothing but a loud mouth trouble maker who has an ax to grind. :idea:
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
docachna

Post by docachna »

AmendII71 wrote:I would attend the meeting tonight if I did not have to go to another evening meeting for work purposes. However, I can tell you right now from experience with this group that the discussion has a very slim chance tonight of being based on fact, logic and reason. I will be shocked if they remove the signs without someone with some clout showing up and telling them. I worked for this clown bunch for years and they will view me as nothing but a loud mouth trouble maker who has an ax to grind. :idea:
Don't know you, and don't know them - but might it be better if someone went in that didn't have a "history" with the "clowns" ? Not to disparage either of you, but it's possible that the history might just distract everyone from the real issue (or at least give them an excuse to ignore the real issue).

I'd be happy to go if I were closer......maybe someone else can slip by ??
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

docachna wrote:
Don't know you, and don't know them - but might it be better if someone went in that didn't have a "history" with the "clowns" ? Not to disparage either of you, but it's possible that the history might just distract everyone from the real issue (or at least give them an excuse to ignore the real issue).
Docachna, it is the town of Waverly that is the "problem child" here. Been a few years back but you should be able to search up a previous incident that makes my point.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Because of that 'history', I really want to be there.

Because of my severe 'lack of money', I really have to work.

:evil:
MyWifeSaidYes
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

docachna wrote:
AmendII71 wrote:I would attend the meeting tonight if I did not have to go to another evening meeting for work purposes. However, I can tell you right now from experience with this group that the discussion has a very slim chance tonight of being based on fact, logic and reason. I will be shocked if they remove the signs without someone with some clout showing up and telling them. I worked for this clown bunch for years and they will view me as nothing but a loud mouth trouble maker who has an ax to grind. :idea:

I'd be happy to go if I were closer......maybe someone else can slip by ??
Docachna......ABSOLUTELY COULDN'T AGREE MORE. I will help with information, guidance, history, anything anybody wants, but me going in person will only hurt, not help. Someone who they do not know but represents in an official capacity from the outside will almost certainly do the the trick in my opinion.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

AmendII71 wrote:... represents in an official capacity from the outside...
In one's official capacity as a citizen who may be affected by the illegal ordinances within that city/village, of course.

Remember, the powers of government flow up FROM the people.

No further credentials required.

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
AmendII71 wrote:... represents in an official capacity from the outside...
In one's official capacity as a citizen who may be affected by the illegal ordinances within that city/village, of course.

Remember, the powers of government flow up FROM the people.

No further credentials required.

:mrgreen:
No argument here. However, as in your case, I have to feed my family and go on the road tonight.
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

Called the Council Clerk and inquired about what was discussed at the August 19th Council Meeting concerning the posted signs. The Clerk reported that there was discussion to move forward with amending the Village's Ordinances to coincide with 9.68 of the ORC. However, when asked about any decision on the signs themselves, she stated that: "She did not recall any discussion about changing or removing the signs in the Park." :roll:
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

Just letting everyone know that it has been two years now since I brought this up with Waverly. The signs are still up at the parks preventing firearms. I submitted another email to the Village Solicitor in October of 2015. The Solicitor responded in the email that they would address this. Any suggestions? :cry:
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Did you ever attend a council meeting?

Maybe it's time for a picnic down there.....when it gets warmer , of course, with an invite to the council members and local PD?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Okay. I'm bored and don't have a lot on my plate this week.

Let me see what I can get done in Waverly.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I wonder if the law director even discussed it with council? Seems to me there's Ohio code, can't recall if it's ORC or Administrative, that requires a law director to do so. Werz, other legal eagles, am I misremembering this?

Oh well I doubt there are any attorneys languishing in Orient, Lebanon, Chillicothe, or other state correctional facility for such infractions anyway.

MWSY, after Wednesday I have some free time, if you want somebody to fly cover in Waverly or bust you out of their jail or something. That's Pike County right? Seem to recall they have a history of coloring outside the lines regarding things like that pesky ORC.

********************************************************************************
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I don't know who discussed what with whom, Brian, but I might take you up on that offer. Of course, it's supposed to rain Thursday and Friday, but less so on Thursday.

Maybe we can meet up at that Tim Horton's doughnut shop beforehand.

Looks like Waverly made a move after our contact with them in July and August of 2014.

In September, 2014, they changed their park (and skate park) rules:
(f) Firearms , fireworks or explosives of any kind are strictly prohibited, pursuant to law. Nothing in this section shall preclude the holders of concealed handgun permits possessing a valid license to carry a handgun in Village of Waverly’s public parks.
(Ord. 48-2014. Passed 9-2-14.)
This is why they would not have taken down the signs. They think they are 'following the law'. :roll:
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I get that typical small town mayors and councils are not lawyers or even particularly versed in law. But Ohio theoretically has a fix for that, called a law director. Some of them seem to know less about the law than..well, it makes me wonder if corners were cut in their pursuit of a higher education.

It's inexcusable in this age of information literally at our fingertips. That expression is no longer an exaggeration. And in this case, the matter of guns on public property was specifically brought up. So, the language in Waverly's new ordinance is a result of half-assery, if the mods don't mind that bit of salty verbiage.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Wow, one of my rants back on page two was also disparaging of law directors (and darned funny, too), starting to sense a pattern here.