Message to Site Coordinators Moderators Patrons

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Message to Site Coordinators Moderators Patrons

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The Mayor's office staff tell me that there was a different ordinance passed in 2015.

The online codified ordinances haven't been updated since 3/15 so I've made a records request to the Waverly Auditor's office.

Hopefully they fixed their ordinance. If so, getting the signs down is as simple as a work order.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Okay, got the full run-around.

The lady in the Mayor's office said there was legislation passed in 2015 to fix the ordinance I was referring to and that I should contact the Auditor for a copy.

The Auditor (as I suspected) told me that I would have to contact the Council Clerk.

The Clerk said, late last week, that she wouldn't be able to look until this week.

I just got her email this evening:
I have searched the records for 2015 and have not found any legislation that deals with firearms. I will be in the office again later this week or weekend and will search the 2014 records. I also emailed a council member for an approximate time frame.

Tracey Lamerson
Village of Waverly Clerk
Just left a voicemail. Hope they return my call before I finish repairing the brakes on my truck tomorrow morning. Waverly and back would be a nice trip to take for a brake check. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

Count me in, I am local to Waverly and would be willing to help anyway I can.
docachna

Post by docachna »

You're probably already well aware of it, but the Ohio AG has pretty decent online assistance for Open Records requests:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Legal/Sunshine-Laws

If I were still rabble-rousing in Ohio, the Sunshine Laws manual would be front and center on my computer desktop:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/File ... anual.aspx

Good luck with this one. Sounds like you're getting the old Southern Ahia Curly Shuffle !!!!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

slidelock wrote:Count me in, I am local to Waverly and would be willing to help anyway I can.
Do you have time to visit a Waverly park (or two) and snap a picture of the offending signage?
MyWifeSaidYes
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
slidelock wrote:Count me in, I am local to Waverly and would be willing to help anyway I can.
Do you have time to visit a Waverly park (or two) and snap a picture of the offending signage?
We have pictures now. Chuck and I were in Waverly early this morning on the way to Fun 'n Gun, so we snapped some pictures.

I will let Chuck post his picture - it's a better shot.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

Sorry I missed your request. Been down with the flu since Friday. Next time.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I don't know who discussed what with whom, Brian, but I might take you up on that offer. Of course, it's supposed to rain Thursday and Friday, but less so on Thursday.

Maybe we can meet up at that Tim Horton's doughnut shop beforehand.

Looks like Waverly made a move after our contact with them in July and August of 2014.

In September, 2014, they changed their park (and skate park) rules:
(f) Firearms , fireworks or explosives of any kind are strictly prohibited, pursuant to law. Nothing in this section shall preclude the holders of concealed handgun permits possessing a valid license to carry a handgun in Village of Waverly’s public parks.
(Ord. 48-2014. Passed 9-2-14.)
This is why they would not have taken down the signs. They think they are 'following the law'. :roll:
As certain as I am you are not missing a beat as you rarely do, I mention in passing that they specify "Concealed carry" permits... Open carriers be damned?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Yep.

That's the issue I'm bringing up with them.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Okay, so I let these folks slide while I had things going on this Spring, but they reached out to me to see if they had answered my inquiry to my satisfaction.

Since they were so nice about it, I worked with them for a few days, emailing their council clerk back and forth. She finally confirmed that the last ordinance passed regarding firearms WAS the one that 'allowed' CHL holders to carry in the parks, but no one else. :roll:

The council declared the ordinance an emergency...and still had 3 readings. That meant the ordinance had a 2014 designation (#81-2014) but wasn't passed until Jan. 6, 2015. That's probably the source of the confusion I ran into.

I thanked the clerk for her efforts and sent them my interpretation of state law and how their current ordinances (two - one for regular parks and one for skate parks) are in violation of state law, along with references to "OFCC v. Clyde" and "Cleveland v. State 2010".

The Mayor of Waverly called today, but I wasn't in. I just returned his call and got stuck in his voicemail, also. I'll try him again later today.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Had a nice chat with the Mayor last week. He seems to remember discussing dropping the "firearms" wording from their ordinances last year, but thinks that they just didn't get around to it.

He said he would bring it up with their legal folks and see what they remember and where they should go from there. He would call me back this week.

So, he confirmed what he though when I talked to him today. The parties involved remember discussing the issue, but no ordinance made it to council.

They will be putting together a corrective ordinance and it should be read at the next council meeting. The Mayor didn't know if it would be introduced as an emergency or not, but I assured him that folks would be happy that they are fixing the issue.

So, anyone up for visiting the next Waverly city council meeting? It should be on June 7, 2016. (http://www.cityofwaverly.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
MyWifeSaidYes
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

Sorry. I have not been keeping up with this post. My bad. I can check the with the Council Clerk to see if this Ordinance passed if someone wants me to.
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

AmendII71 wrote:Sorry. I have not been keeping up with this post. My bad. I can check the with the Council Clerk to see if this Ordinance passed if someone wants me to.
Yes, please.
MyWifeSaidYes
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

Emailed clerk today.
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »