Upper Arlington

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Upper Arlington

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/sto ... n-ban.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

City Council asked to stand its ground on gun ban
By NATE ELLIS ThisWeek Community News
• Wednesday April 16, 2014 8:13 AM
Although Upper Arlington officials maintain they must allow firearms to be carried openly in city parks in order to follow state law, a longtime resident asked them Monday to stand their ground and petition state lawmakers for the right to keep guns out of public areas.

On Monday, 42-year Upper Arlington resident and retired attorney Paul Josenhans urged council to rethink its planned amendment.

"This raises the specter of hundreds of persons, unscreened for any criteria, carrying loaded firearms at community celebrations such as the Fourth of July fireworks, Labor Neighbor Day and the like," Josenhans said. "In my view, the greater the number of carriers, the more likely an untoward accident will occur.

"As it appears that our community is at the mercy of state law, I urge the council to prepare and vote on an appropriate resolution instructing delegates to urge the state legislators and the governor to take action to repeal the offensive provisions of the applicable state laws, and that council take serious measures to work with other objecting municipalities to the same end."

Because of the possibility of violence, as well as accidental injuries or deaths, Josenhans said if Upper Arlington permits firearms in parks and open spaces, the city and state legislators should require gun carriers to have insurance -- possibly $500,000 per person and $10 million per occurrence -- due to the possibility of accidental injury or death.

In the meantime, council is expected to hear a second reading of the proposed firearms amendment at its April 28 meeting.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Re: Upper Arlington

Post by Brian D. »

After reading the article, I'm torn: Do we want to have open carry events in various Upper Arlington parks on July 4th, Labor day, etc.? Or would it be better to have those marches on the sidewalk directly in front of Paul Josenhans's house? :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Brian D. wrote:After reading the article, I'm torn: Do we want to have open carry events in various Upper Arlington parks on July 4th, Labor day, etc.? Or would it be better to have those marches on the sidewalk directly in front of Paul Josenhans's house? :mrgreen:
Maybe he lives close to the parks and you could do both.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
mreising

Post by mreising »

mreising wrote:
Brian D. wrote:After reading the article, I'm torn: Do we want to have open carry events in various Upper Arlington parks on July 4th, Labor day, etc.? Or would it be better to have those marches on the sidewalk directly in front of Paul Josenhans's house? :mrgreen:
Maybe he lives close to the parks and you could do both.
It looks like he lives within 6 to 10 blocks of several parks.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Anyone have time to attend the 4/28 council meeting with me?
MyWifeSaidYes
A_F

Post by A_F »

That's funny, I thought it was the carriers who were always accused of being 'scared' by the antis. Sounds like it's the other way around.

Hundreds of people carrying at parks??
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Paul is a man of "unmatched intelligence".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMng9888QX0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

A_F wrote:...Hundreds of people carrying at parks??
We can do that. We'll have to limit the number of people we invite so it doesn't become "thousands", but we can do that.
MyWifeSaidYes
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Anyone have time to attend the 4/28 council meeting with me?
I just put it on my calendar. :)
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Stryker74 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Anyone have time to attend the 4/28 council meeting with me?
I just put it on my calendar. :)
Count me in on 4/28.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I just sent this:
Dear Members of Council-

Regarding the concern from your citizens regarding 'gun in parks', I thought I would share the following news story with council.

Medina is a city in north-eastern Ohio, about 12 square miles in size and with a population of about 27,000.

In 2009, CNNMoney named Medina the 40th most desirable American city to live in.

Tuesday evening (4/15/14), around 7:30pm, a man was shot in the head by a 'bad guy' who had a desire to 'shoot it out with the police'.

The shooting occurred at Ray Mellert Park in Medina, well before any police were involved.

Here is a link to the news story:

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/25264 ... edina-park" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for your time.

I hope to speak with you at the next council meeting.

Sincerely-

-"MWSY"
MyWifeSaidYes
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I just sent this:
Dear Members of Council-

Regarding the concern from your citizens regarding 'gun in parks', I thought I would share the following news story with council.

Medina is a city in north-eastern Ohio, about 12 square miles in size and with a population of about 27,000.

In 2009, CNNMoney named Medina the 40th most desirable American city to live in.

Tuesday evening (4/15/14), around 7:30pm, a man was shot in the head by a 'bad guy' who had a desire to 'shoot it out with the police'.

The shooting occurred at Ray Mellert Park in Medina, well before any police were involved.

Here is a link to the news story:

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/25264 ... edina-park" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for your time.

I hope to speak with you at the next council meeting.

Sincerely-

-"MWSY"
Now don't you know, had they been able to ban guns in the parks, this man never would have been able to take a gun there to have a shootout with the police. C'mon, where's your logic?

/sarcasm intended
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Now don't you know, had they been able to ban guns in the parks, this man never would have been able to take a gun there to have a shootout with the police. C'mon, where's your logic?
So, you're saying they just needed a BIGGER sign?

:P
MyWifeSaidYes
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I'd be up for that. As a UA resident it's in my interest to be there. Looks like it starts at 7:30?
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

April 28th at 7:30? Hmmmmmm