2014 County Fair Schedule

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
polizi212

Re: 2014 County Fair Schedule

Post by polizi212 »

schmieg wrote:
polizi212 wrote:Cruiser you beat me to it! A five minute internet search proves that the Columbiana County Agricultural Society owns the property! There for if posted it is improper!
Many agricultural societies claim they are private, but, if they are organized according to the ORC, they are government subdivisions.
Yes, I am aware of that and that was the point I was making, I have been correcting Portage Counties Agricultural group on that very thing! According to what I found on Columbiana's website they are a State Recognized Board and organized under the ORC.
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

Decided to poke around the Hancock County Fairgrounds/Ag Society website looking for their firearms policy. Couldn't find it, so I shot them this email on 6-4-14:
To: sroffice@hancockfairgrounds.org, manager@hancockfairgrounds.org

Greetings and salutations! I am writing to in an attempt to find the policies for the Hancock County Fairgrounds in regards to firearms. I am curious as to what the current policies are, and if there are any differences in policy between when the actual Fair is on and when the grounds are being used for other activities such as the Steam Engine Show and other events. I have looked on the website http://www.hancockfairgrounds.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and have not been able to locate any rules or policies other than those that relate to entering into events or on the procedure for voting new members. If you could reply to this email with a copy of any rules and policies, or with a web address of where to look them up myself it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Got this answer back on 6-5-14:
Sir;

If you would please go to our web site and click on the SENIOR FAIR tab, click on Senior Fair Book. You will find our weapons policy on the left side of the headers. Click on it and it will show you our current policy.

Dave Thomas

Manager
So, I looked, and low and behold, I find this:
As of its May 24, 2004, meeting, the Hancock County Agricultural Society
Board of Directors approved the following weapon-free policy for the
Hancock County Agricultural Society’s property.

In the interest of maintaining an environment that is safe and free
of violence for its employees, members, and visitors, the Hancock County
Agricultural Society prohibits the wearing, transporting, storage, presence or
use of all weapons on Hancock County Agricultural Society’s property,
regardless of whether or not the person is licensed to carry the weapon. Any
employee who violates this policy is subject to disciplinary action, up to and
including discharge. A client or visitor who violates this policy may be
removed from the property and reported to police authorities. This policy
does not apply to any law enforcement or security personnel engaging in
official duties.

Hancock County Agricultural Society’s property covered by this
policy includes all Hancock County Agricultural Society’s – owned or leased
buildings and surrounding areas, such as sidewalks, walkways, parking lots,
and driveways under the Hancock County Agricultural Society’s ownership or
control. Furthermore, this policy applies to all Hancock County Agricultural
Society’s – owned or leased vehicles and all vehicles that come onto Hancock
County Agricultural Society property.

“Weapons” include, but are not limited to, handguns, firearms,
explosives, knives, and other weapons further defined by Ohio statute,
federal or local laws or ordinances.
Working on a reply email. I'll post it once it's done.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

Email I sent back. Thanks to MWSY, since I borrowed a good chunk of it from one he sent to Franklin Cty Ag. Soc.:
Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for your timely reply. I was successful in finding the policy as you directed me. However, upon finding it I was quite distressed to see that it is not in compliance with State Law, and has not been since Ohio Revised Code 9.68 came into effect on 3-14-2007. As you probably know, Agricultural Societies are not private entities, and any land they own, or county-owned land they manage, is not private property.

This can be confirmed by:
-reviewing Ohio Revised Code 1711.13,
-reviewing the Ohio Supreme Court opinion in Greene Cty. Agricultural Soc. v. Liming,
-contacting the Ohio Attorney General for an opinion. The OAG has no less than 2 previous opinions confirming that Ag. Societies, while independent, are still public entities.

As a public entity, the Society must follow all general provisions of state law, including ORC 9.68, which prohibits public entities from having ordinances, rules, or regulations restricting the possession, carrying, transporting, or storing of firearms, firearms components, or firearm ammunition.

As such that the Hancock County Fairgrounds themselves are owned by Hancock County, as confirmed by the Hancock County Auditor's Office (Parcel # 610000927040, Acres: 40, Land Use: 620 Exempt Property owned by Counties) I have CC's this email to the County Commissioner's Office as well.

Thankfully there is plenty of time before the fair this year to correct this. Please keep me apprised of any action on this issue. While I am not a lawyer, if I can offer any assistance in rectifying this issue, please feel free to ask.

Sincerely,
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

Got a reply today from the Fairgrounds Manager from the Ag Society:
Sir;

I thank you for bringing this error to my attention. I have begun the process to get this corrected, and will soon be taking it to the board for approval.

We must do our homework first to make sure that we comply to both “OPEN” and “CONCEALED” rules set forth by the ORC.

Once again, thank for bringing this matter to our attention.
Debating whether or not I should mention that there is no ordinance in the ORC for Open Carry.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

You could offer to give your feedback on their proposed changes, prior to board approval.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The Ohio Dept. of Agriculture put together a list of web sites for county fairs.

I've found a couple broken links so far, but this is still a nice compilation.

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/divs/fairs/countyfairs.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
tthurlow

Post by tthurlow »

Hello, I just went to the Ashtabula county fairgrounds and it is still posted. Is there anyone here that takes the lead on this, or could point me toward a templated letter I could send the fair board? I'm sure it's too late to fix it for this fair, but at least I could carry next year. Thanks.
PAgoeshunting

Post by PAgoeshunting »

Went to day and the sign is a little confusing, first saying that guns are not permitted, along with other weapons, but then stating in bold red that it means guns without the proper permit. Image
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

I saw the same sign at the Canfield fair last night. I'm going again today.

I carry in there but before I try it, are we allowed to carry into the buildings on the grounds?
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
gbranham

Post by gbranham »

I went to the Hancock County Fairgrounds in Findlay today for the "Findlay Armed Forces Day" and they are still posted no weapons on the gate as you drive in. Old topic, but its what I referenced before going, to see if I could carry. The sign is a bit obscure and off on the side fence as you pull up to gatehouse. I only saw the sign cause I was searching for it. Thought I would provide an update.

http://visitfindlay.com/event/the-findl ... 015-05-16/
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

gbranham wrote:I went to the Hancock County Fairgrounds in Findlay today for the "Findlay Armed Forces Day" and they are still posted no weapons on the gate as you drive in. Old topic, but its what I referenced before going, to see if I could carry. The sign is a bit obscure and off on the side fence as you pull up to gatehouse. I only saw the sign cause I was searching for it. Thought I would provide an update...
Hancock hasn't had a thread about just them because it looked as if they were going to comply last year...so let's start one !!

For Hancock County Fair issues, go here: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=84389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
docachna

Post by docachna »

JustJack wrote:

Debating whether or not I should mention that there is no ordinance in the ORC for Open Carry.
Since this part apparently came so easily, someone is apparently open to correction. I'd suggest you go ahead and correct their misapprehension now, that is, the O.R.C. has no provision regarding OC - in fact, some cites to some cases so holding might be helpful. It appears you're not getting much pushback, and maybe someone on the other end actually immediately realized their mistake, but simply doesn't distinguish well between CC and OC.

It sounds like this is going to work out well, and possibly in fairly short order.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE