Cleveland Heights: Forest Hill Park update

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
pirateguy191

Re: Cleveland Heights: Forest Hill Park update

Post by pirateguy191 »

My daughter played softball there last night. I will see if she noticed a sign.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

jgarvas wrote:Can you send me a picture of the offending sign?
I don't have any recent/current ones. I think all the ones I have show snow... I'll swing by tomorrow and grab something clear. I should have done it last night when I had the chance.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Here's a photo from this morning.
They removed the other one from the playground entrance. Does the wording ("Unless otherwise authorized...") get them off the hook?
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Not sure where the other sign is, but part of Forest Hill Park is in East Cleveland.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

This one is south of Forest Hill Boulevard by 50 feet or so (see map URL below). From what I can gather, the border runs just north of the road at this point.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... 92lP3_OHjU
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

rimfireOH wrote:Does the wording ("Unless otherwise authorized...") get them off the hook?
No, because that is the wording recommended by the state for cities, etc. to use on signs prohibiting carry into their buildings. And at least for concealed carry (and likely open carry as well), the ban in buildings is legal. So in spite of that prohibition not now applying to parks and the like thanks to ORC 9.68, one could easily conclude that the town STILL thinks (or fervently WISHES) it's okay for them to keep guns out of the open spaces. Otherwise they would have removed or modified the signs, plus taken their firearms ordinances off the books.

So because it's murky, and many gun owners (especially out of state visitors and new residents) are not intimately familiar with these issues, I believe that some local politcos just leave the signage up to try to keep those scary guns out of their beloved safe little 'burgs. Darn shame we don't have time to do large OC events in every town with this mindset and pester the dog snot out of them.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

How does their Ordinance 923.10 read?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Cruiser wrote:How does their Ordinance 923.10 read?
I believe It's referencing a Cleveland Heights ordinance we forced them to repeal when we sued them. I'm fairly certain this is in conflict with the language of a settlement I just need to run it past an attorney. There may be penalties for failing to abide by the mutually agreed upon conditions of that settlement.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

923.10 is not a published ordinance.

http://www.conwaygreene.com/Clevelandht ... -h.htm&2.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:923.10 is not a published ordinance.

http://www.conwaygreene.com/Clevelandht ... -h.htm&2.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's because we sued them and they repealed it. We'll be reaching out to the city.
Jeff Garvas, President

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:923.10 is not a published ordinance.
Ordinance No. 110-2011 was presented for first reading on 9/6/2011 and repealed 923.10 later that month.
docachna

Post by docachna »

I believe the Law Director at CH retired, so now you may have a whole new crew to edumacate...... :?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

docachna wrote:I believe the Law Director at CH retired, so now you may have a whole new crew to edumacate...... :?
That shouldn't make any difference, should it? A different crew comes in and it's okey dokey if none of them know about "new" laws like ORC 9.68?? If so, then let's see if we can trick towns into electing/hiring the dumbest law directors possible. Maybe even so stupid they don't know anything about state and federal discrimination laws. Hilarity would ensue.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

In this case, since the sign refers to a non-existent, repealed ordinance, the city just needs to be made aware.

If they pulled one sign down already and honestly missed this one, point it out.

If they didn't pull it down because they are feeling 'frisky', Jeff Garvas will apply the appropriate 'attitude adjustment'.
MyWifeSaidYes
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Brian D. wrote:
docachna wrote:I believe the Law Director at CH retired, so now you may have a whole new crew to edumacate...... :?
That shouldn't make any difference, should it? A different crew comes in and it's okey dokey if none of them know about "new" laws like ORC 9.68?? If so, then let's see if we can trick towns into electing/hiring the dumbest law directors possible. Maybe even so stupid they don't know anything about state and federal discrimination laws. Hilarity would ensue.
If you met him Brian you would understand. He was probably well into his 70's and absolutely stubborn. He outright refused to cooperate until he was virtually forced to by the court. In my opinion. :)
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?