West Jefferson - Parks

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

West Jefferson - Parks

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

It's time to start checking your local ordinances.

I found out about an "issue" in West Jeff and decided to check their ordinances. Sure enough, no firearms in parks. (ordinance 957.08)

Here is the initial email I sent last night. I'll post any responses I receive.

If you want to play along at home, there is a sticky topic in this forum with a list of place to look for your village and city ordinances. If you can't find yours, feel free to call your town council and ask where to look.
Dear Mayor and Council members-

Can you please advise me on the rules regarding firearms at Garrette Park and other parks in West Jefferson?

I prefer to openly carry my handgun in a hip holster. I was advised by an acquaintance that firearms are not allowed at the park, whether openly carried or concealed.

Since this goes against state preemption (ORC 9.68), I was hoping you could confirm for me what the rules actually are.

Thanks!

-"MYSY"
February 1, 2014
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: West Jefferson - Parks

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

So, now we have a reply from the Mayor of a municipal corporation in the state of Ohio that freely admits they are violating Ohio Revised Code 9.68 by restricting firearm possession in a park. They probably are not aware of THIS Ohio Supreme Court decision.
Dear "MWSY"

Your acquaintance is correct, firearms are not allowed in any of the parks in West Jefferson.
I am forwarding your email on to our police chief Terry Ward, perhaps he will have something To add to this.

Thanks for your email,

Darlene Steele, Mayor
Village of West Jefferson
Tomorrow, I will send them a nice email suggesting they and their law director review "Ohioans for Concealed Carry, Inc. v. Clyde" and send them a link to that decision. I'll post that when I send it.

I'm not sending that reply tonight because I want to first make a public records request for a copy of the Mayor's email to me.

Wouldn't want her to accidentally delete possible evidence, would we?
MyWifeSaidYes
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Wow, people really are that dumb. :roll:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

pirateguy191 wrote:Wow, people really are that dumb. :roll:
As much as I would like to associate DUMB with ELECTED, I won't. :P

The West Jeff ordinance was probably already on the books when she became Mayor, and nobody has ever brought it up before.

That is the whole reason I approach them passively.

There is no reason to yell at someone for doing something they HONESTLY did not know was wrong.

And, since the state has no active mechanism for updating municipalities of changes in the law that may affect them, it falls upon the citizens of the state to let them know and to ask them to correct the issue.

She COULD have told me it IS okay to carry. In that case, they know the law, but simply forgot to update the published ordinance.

In this case, she doesn't know the law, and I don't expect to get a different answer from the LEO, so we move on to the law director.
MyWifeSaidYes
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

...and, not giving them an 'excuse' - but West Jefferson is a pretty small village. Nice little community - the New - New Rome in some sense.

However, we cannot ascertain if they elected one or more of their idiots. :mrgreen:

So MWSY is gentle in the beginning.....
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

Oh, so its THAT time of year again? :twisted: Anyone looked up Oberlin? :-P
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BriKuz wrote:Oh, so its THAT time of year again? :twisted: Anyone looked up Oberlin? :-P
We're gonna leave that one all to you, BriKuz!

I want to focus on communities in Franklin and the surrounding counties.

There were quite a few folks here that made some dents all around the state last year.

Hopefully, they'll take the reins once again and we can make the state just that much safer for gun owners.

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

My reply:
Mayor Steele-

Thanks for your quick response!

The first paragraph of the Ohio Supreme Court decision in " Ohioans for Concealed Carry, Inc. v. Clyde, 120 Ohio St.3d 96, 2008-Ohio-4605", states:

" The issue presented in this case concerns whether Clyde Ordinance
2004-41, which prohibits licensed handgun owners from carrying concealed
handguns in Clyde city parks, is a valid exercise of the municipality’s home-rule
power according to Section 3, Article XVIII, of the Ohio Constitution. Because
the ordinance is an exercise of the municipality’s police power that conflicts with
a general law, the ordinance is unconstitutional. Accordingly, we affirm the
judgment of the court of appeals."

I am not a lawyer, but this makes me believe that your city ordinance is in violation of R.C. 9.68.

Could you please ask the village council to modify or repeal the ordinance restricting possession of firearms in village parks?

You may also want to ask your law director to review village ordinances for any other firearm restrictions that violate state law, so that they may also be modified or repealed.

Bringing village ordinances into compliance with state law will avoid any possible lawsuits filed under R.C. 9.68, which allows for costs and attorney fees to be awarded, in addition to any other relief awarded to the entity that files such a suit.

Could you please let me know how the village will be proceeding?

Thanks!

-"MWSY"
February 4, 2014
MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:In this case, she doesn't know the law, and I don't expect to get a different answer from the LEO, so we move on to the law director.
I think you're beginning to see the reality of the situation. Folks in these forums - compared to the general population - are obsessed with gun rights. The vast majority of Ohioans (including many, many licensed attorneys) would tell you there is nothing wrong with having ordinances prohibiting guns in the parks. For most officials in small municipalities, the issue is not even on the radar. That doesn't mean they will like their ordinances being displaced by state law once they learn about it, but until someone tells them, they really have no idea.

In fact, some city councils have members who are rather pro-2A, and they don't know about it, either. Their reaction is usually something to the effect of "Really?! Cool!"
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote:...In fact, some city councils have members who are rather pro-2A, and they don't know about it, either. Their reaction is usually something to the effect of "Really?! Cool!"
And I have run into more of those than I've expected. It's always nice to find one.

It's better to inform and ask nicely at first. It seems to keep them from becoming defensive right away.

There is a time for torches and pitchforks open carry walks, but that's after they are aware that they are wrong and insist on staying wrong.
MyWifeSaidYes
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Werz wrote:...In fact, some city councils have members who are rather pro-2A, and they don't know about it, either. Their reaction is usually something to the effect of "Really?! Cool!"
And I have run into more of those than I've expected. It's always nice to find one.

It's better to inform and ask nicely at first. It seems to keep them from becoming defensive right away.

There is a time for torches and pitchforks open carry walks, but that's after they are aware that they are wrong and insist on staying wrong.
what about open carry of a pitchfork? Art1 Sect4 protects the right to bear ARMS, not just firearms ;-) Anyone want to work out some martial arts techniques for the proper deployment of a pitchfork or a torch? :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I would LOVE to have a compelling reason to push for statewide preemption of knife laws.

We only got firearm preemption because cities were screwing around with what the state wrought.

At some point in the future, we will show the Ohio General Assembly that we use knives to prevent theft of carried firearms and that concealed knives should be covered by our CHL.

That will require knives to be added to R.C. 9.68, or the enactment of a similar statute just for knives.

Pitchforks may take a little longer.
MyWifeSaidYes
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

hey, some of my cousins dies in WWII trying to fight off tanks with pitchforks and shovels... ;-)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Werz wrote:Folks in these forums - compared to the general population - are obsessed with gun rights.
I prefer the descriptor "enthusiastic" or even "enthralled" over "obsessed" but your point is well taken.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'm actually "obsessed" with retaining and restoring ALL of our rights.

Firearms rights just seem to need the most help.

Thanks, ACLU! :roll:
MyWifeSaidYes