Hunting regs that violate 9.68

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
mreising

Re: Hunting regs that violate 9.68

Post by mreising »

JustaShooter wrote:
troy bilt wrote:the instructor told everyone that if they where carrying a firearm that it was against the law to carry during an ODNR safety course. He said he did not want to know who was carrying and not to worry about it till 1st break. After 1st break I disarmed.

I have not looked up the law the instructor was referring to yet but if said law is on the books would this law go against 9.68?
I'd love to see the section of the ORC that the instructor thinks makes it illegal to carry during an ODNR hunter safety course because I can't find it. Depending on where it was taught, it could possibly be illegal to carry there I suppose (state government facility for example) but otherwise I don't think it would be. They may have rules, like the NRA class rules against loaded firearms or even live ammunition in the training class - but even then I would think it would violate ORC 9.68...
This has been discussed in the past, in other threads. It may not be a law, but it is the rule for ODNR classes. Same as it is in NRA classes: no loaded firearms or live ammo in the classroom. As the instructor is in control of the premises during the class, he could ask you to leave and refusal would constitute trespass. ODNR provides a sign that the instructor should have posted on the door stating "no firearms". The last one I had at our classroom was kind of a pale orange color IIRC.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

mreising wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
troy bilt wrote:the instructor told everyone that if they where carrying a firearm that it was against the law to carry during an ODNR safety course. He said he did not want to know who was carrying and not to worry about it till 1st break. After 1st break I disarmed.

I have not looked up the law the instructor was referring to yet but if said law is on the books would this law go against 9.68?
I'd love to see the section of the ORC that the instructor thinks makes it illegal to carry during an ODNR hunter safety course because I can't find it. Depending on where it was taught, it could possibly be illegal to carry there I suppose (state government facility for example) but otherwise I don't think it would be. They may have rules, like the NRA class rules against loaded firearms or even live ammunition in the training class - but even then I would think it would violate ORC 9.68...
This has been discussed in the past, in other threads. It may not be a law, but it is the rule for ODNR classes. Same as it is in NRA classes: no loaded firearms or live ammo in the classroom. As the instructor is in control of the premises during the class, he could ask you to leave and refusal would constitute trespass. ODNR provides a sign that the instructor should have posted on the door stating "no firearms". The last one I had at our classroom was kind of a pale orange color IIRC.
There is a difference between a class rule and it being illegal. troy bilt indicated he was told it was against the law, not that there was a class rule. That said, I still wonder if that rule could be considered a violation of ORC 9.68 given the class is performed under the auspices of the ODNR and taught by an ODNR rep. Let me add that I think it is a really good rule to follow, and I enforce it in the classes I assist with - but I don't say it is against the law to give more weight to the rule.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JustaShooter wrote:...don't say it is against the law to give more weight to the rule.
^^ This.
MyWifeSaidYes
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

I don't understand why push for the right to keep and bear arms and then insist everyone disarm before class. Is this some kind of MDA law?
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The "disarm" part bugs me but the "no live ammo" does not.

In ANY class where you may be 'administratively' handling a firearm (not preparing to actually shoot), you just don't want live ammo around.

Too many people forget what's unloaded and what is not.

I know you are probably just being facetious, but "I thought it was unloaded" is too commonly heard these days.
MyWifeSaidYes