City of Akron DEMANDING registration

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: City of Akron DEMANDING registration

Post by Werz »

NavyChief wrote:
BriKuz wrote:I am hoping Werz or another of the legal-eagles will be along shortly, but here is my latest response from Det. Bralek:
Akron City code section 137 covers . . .
. . . will gladly discuss this over coffee.
It seems, reading between the lines, that the nice detective is sort of on our side. It also seems he is fond of keeping his job and is willing to tow the line to do so. I could be wrong.
That's pretty much how I read it. He wouldn't complain loudly if the ordinance was repealed, but as long as it's in effect, he'll do the job he's hired to do.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Wonder if this section of the Revised Code has any applicability to the City's actions:
2905.12 Coercion.
(A) No person, with purpose to coerce another into taking or refraining from action concerning which the other person has a legal freedom of choice, shall do any of the following:

(1) Threaten to commit any offense;
(2) Utter or threaten any calumny against any person;
(3) Expose or threaten to expose any matter tending to subject any person to hatred, contempt, or ridicule, to damage any person's personal or business repute, or to impair any person's credit;
(4) Institute or threaten criminal proceedings against any person;
(5) Take, withhold, or threaten to take or withhold official action, or cause or threaten to cause official action to be taken or withheld.

(B) Divisions (A)(4) and (5) of this section shall not be construed to prohibit a prosecutor or court from doing any of the following in good faith and in the interests of justice:

(1) Offering or agreeing to grant, or granting immunity from prosecution pursuant to section 2945.44 of the Revised Code;
(2) In return for a plea of guilty to one or more offenses charged or to one or more other or lesser offenses, or in return for the testimony of the accused in a case to which the accused is not a party, offering or agreeing to dismiss, or dismissing one or more charges pending against an accused, or offering or agreeing to impose, or imposing a certain sentence or modification of sentence;
(3) Imposing a community control sanction on certain conditions, including without limitation requiring the offender to make restitution or redress to the victim of the offense.

(C) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under division (A)(3), (4), or (5) of this section that the actor's conduct was a reasonable response to the circumstances that occasioned it, and that the actor's purpose was limited to any of the following:
(1) Compelling another to refrain from misconduct or to desist from further misconduct;
(2) Preventing or redressing a wrong or injustice;
(3) Preventing another from taking action for which the actor reasonably believed the other person to be disqualified;
(4) Compelling another to take action that the actor reasonably believed the other person to be under a duty to take.

(D) Whoever violates this section is guilty of coercion, a misdemeanor of the second degree.

(E) As used in this section:
(1) "Threat" includes a direct threat and a threat by innuendo.
(2) "Community control sanction" has the same meaning as in section 2929.01 of the Revised Code.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

(Still looking up "calumny"............)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

I emailed Dick's corporate about this a couple weeks ago and just got this response:
I am sorry for the delay on this response.
After following up with all business partners I have verified and confirmed that DICK'S Sporting Goods is not completing the 'registration forms' or sending information to the Akron Police.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Jean Taggart

Jean Taggart | Manager of Customer Engagement
345 Court Street l Coraopolis, PA 15108
Jean.Taggart@dcsg.com l o: 724.273.3112 l fax: 724.227.1103
Toll Free: 866.677.4771
Then I got another email a few minutes later requesting to recall the last email (quoted above). So apparently they have no idea what's going on.