Village of Bradford

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Suckerspawn

Village of Bradford

Post by Suckerspawn »

Bradford
143.05 General Park Rules
No firearms permitted
(Ord. 13-03. Passed 5-9-13)
I have sent a short note to Bradford through their website. I will visit the park(s) and take pictures of any bad signage.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
HancockCountyHAl

Re: Village of Bradford

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Thanks. Let us know if Bradford replies to your note.
HancockCountyHaL
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Suckerspawn wrote:
Bradford
143.05 General Park Rules
No firearms permitted
(Ord. 13-03. Passed 5-9-13)
I have sent a short note to Bradford through their website. I will visit the park(s) and take pictures of any bad signage.
Passed THIS YEAR? And they actually pay a law director/outside counsel? For what?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

BB62 wrote:Passed THIS YEAR? And they actually pay a law director/outside counsel? For what?
Glad I'm not the only one that saw that and had a similar reaction.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Don't assume the firearms restriction was just added this year.

This village does not publish the past revision dates of their ordinances.

The firearms restriction has probably been there for a while, and the date listed is just for this revision of the park rules.
MyWifeSaidYes
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Don't assume the firearms restriction was just added this year.

The firearms restriction has probably been there for a while, and the date listed is just for this revision of the park rules.
While that may and well be the case, that just means they 'reaffirmed' their unlawful restriction, knowing (unless they, or their law director, live under a rock) that it was/is illegal. Not a great step up the stupid ladder, IMO.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Don't assume the firearms restriction was just added this year.

I learned from Councilman Burgess in Oberlin that the municipal code services (e.g., Conway Greene Co.), are supposed to review state law each year and submit to each of their clients a package of legislation that reflects all the changes in the state statutes which are cloned by municipal ordinances. They then promulgate that whole package with a single vote. He was rather upset that their code service did not inform them of the effect of R.C. 9.68. I told him all they are really responsible for is to update ordinances which are essentially clones of state statutes; there's no way a code service could reasonably review all their ordinances to determine if they run afoul of the general prohibition of R.C. 9.68.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

I have received no response from Bradford. The ordinance is still on their website and the sign is still posted at their park. I have contacted them once again through their website. I plan on knocking on their door tomorrow. Anyone interested in a picnic at the Bradford Y-Yard Park?
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Suckerspawn wrote:I have received no response from Bradford. The ordinance is still on their website and the sign is still posted at their park. I have contacted them once again through their website. I plan on knocking on their door tomorrow. Anyone interested in a picnic at the Bradford Y-Yard Park?
Wow, when a town is within 100 miles or so of home I usually don't have to google up its whereabouts. Reckon I've never been to Bradford...but it's getting a little late in the season for a picnic, is that park hilly enough for sledding?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

It's an old railroad yard. Flat as a pancake. It would make a good shooting range.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Just received this email.
Dear Mr. ........,

The below issue is currently being reviewed by the Village Solicitor. I will update you on this matter once I receive his opinion. Thank you for the information.

Sincerely,

Rick Looker

No need to knock on their door, yet.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Real speed demons on replying to correspondence though aren't they? Geez...
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

In my second inquiry, I mentioned the suit against Oberlin. That raises the bar just a bit.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

This follow up assures us we are right to insist on complete compliance with ORC 9.68.

The Village of Bradford does not have its own police. It contracts with the Miami County Sheriff. On Monday, I made this inquiry of the Sheriff.
The Village of Bradford Website lists the Miami County Sheriff's Department as
it law enforcement agency. In the Village ordinance, 143.05  GENERAL PARK
RULES, firearms are prohibited in the Village parks. In consideration of
Ohio Revised Code 9.68 is this ordinance enforceable? If someone were to
carry a firearm in the Bradford parks could they be arrested by a Miami
County Deputy ? Should the ordinance be changed along with the sign at the
Y-Yard Park to come into compliance with ORC 9.68 ?
I received this reply.
Dear Mr. ..........,

I am in receipt of your below email referencing the prohibition of firearms at the Village of Bradford park. To date, an enforcement issue has never arisen under the Village Ordinance you are citing. With that being said, I am getting further clarity on the ORC statute and the Village ordinance from the county prosecutor to give you an informed answer. Thank you for your question and I will be following up with a response in short order.

Sincerely,

Dave Duchak
Chief Deputy
Miami County Sheriff's Office
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

I received a reply from the Bradford solicitor.
Mr. ..........:

I am the Solicitor for the Village of Bradford. Rick Looker sent to me a copy of your e-mail message for review.
It does appear that the public park is not exempted from the law permitting CCW. We are looking at our regulations and will comply with the law as it is defined.

I will let you know when the Village has authorized any revision of the ordinance and rules.

Thank you

Michael Gutmann
McCulloch, Felger, Fite & Gutmann Co., LPA
123 Market St., PO Box 910
Piqua, OH 45356
I responded to him.
Thank you for your prompt response.

Please keep in mind as you proceed with revisions, ORC 9.68 does not apply to Concealed Carry only. The Open Carry of both handguns and long guns is also permitted. Other cities, Piqua for instance, have come into compliance simply by adopting, word for word, the ORC as their city ordinance.