Franklin Co. Ag. Soc. fairgrounds

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Franklin Co. Ag. Soc. fairgrounds

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Okay, then.

Franklin County Agricultural Society has not returned my call from 2 weeks ago.

I must start pestering them about these signs...

I didn't post it, but there is a 'Private Property' sign on open land to the east of the fenced fairgrounds. There is also an access road to a fairgrounds gate on the east side. That makes me think that land is also AgSoc property.

Can someone check the Auditor's site for me?
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Franklin Co. Ag. Soc. fairgrounds

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Second phone message left. Email soon to follow.

The fairgrounds is mostly owned by the AgSoc.

The land to the east (marked 'Private Property' is owned by the county.

ALL signs (CPZ and Priv. Prop.) must come down.

I'll send something to the county at the same time I send to the AgSoc.
MyWifeSaidYes
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Nothing like sign uniformity.
HancockCountyHaL
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sent:
Dear Franklin Co. Ag. Society-

There are at least 4 ‘No guns’ or ‘No weapons’ signs on the fence around the Franklin County fairgrounds. Each is near an entry gate. As they pertain to firearms, these signs are in violation of Ohio Revised Code 9.68.

While state law does allow (and require) the Society to post signs on many types of buildings, it does not allow the posting of the open areas of the fairgrounds.

Could you please take these signs down right away?

As you probably know, Agricultural Societies are not private entities, and any land they own or county-owned land they manage, is not private property.

This can be confirmed by:
-reviewing Ohio Revised Code 1711.13 ( http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1711.13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ),
-reviewing the Ohio Supreme Court opinion in Greene Cty. Agricultural Soc. v. Liming ( http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/do ... io-486.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ),
-contacting the Ohio Attorney General for an opinion. The OAG has no less than 2 previous opinions confirming that Ag. Societies, while independent, are still public entities.

As a public entity, the Society must follow all general provisions of state law, including ORC 9.68 which prohibits public entities from having ordinances, rules or regulations restricting the possession of firearms.

If there are any published rules or regulations, or any underlying resolutions or ordinances supporting such rules or regulations, please revise those items to bring the Society into compliance with state law.

I have no complaints to make other than the signs are still posted. I just found out myself two weeks ago. As a Franklin county resident, I just want to make sure no public entity exposes itself to lawsuits. That's money the county and it's agencies do not need to spend.

I am not a lawyer, but if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Thanks!

-"MWSY"
September 18, 2013

MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

And, while it might eventually deserve its own topic, I sent this one to the county commissioners and administrators:
Dear Franklin County Commissioners and Administrators-

Please remove the "Private Property" sign(s) from the County-owned land adjacent to the Franklin County Fairgrounds in Hilliard, OH, specifically Parcel ID 050-003349-00.

As you know, the County is a public entity and cannot post County-owned land as "Private Property".

Thank you!

-"MWSY"
September 18, 2013
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Fair season will soon be upon us.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Signs are down !!

Yay !!

:D
MyWifeSaidYes
snikt01

Post by snikt01 »

MWSY,

I'm sure you get this a lot but I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for fighting the good fight while most of us sit on the sideline and reap the benefits. I can only imagine the time you expend. Especially with all the municipalities. Thanks for all your effort and results.
A nation under a well regulated government, should permit none to remain uninstructed. It is monarchical and aristocratical government only that requires ignorance for its support.
--Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1792

"Reasonable" would be wiping every firearms-related law off the books and not hanging them all for treason.
--Jabeatty
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

snikt01 wrote:MWSY,

I'm sure you get this a lot but I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for fighting the good fight while most of us sit on the sideline and reap the benefits. I can only imagine the time you expend. Especially with all the municipalities. Thanks for all your effort and results.
+1 :)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Aw shucks, fellers. T'wernt nuthin'. :oops:

:twisted: :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes