Dublin Assault Weapons Ban

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Dublin Assault Weapons Ban

Post by sd790 »

Went to Dublin City Council meeting tonight for the vote on repealing their assault weapons ban. They squirmed and gasped at the thought of those GUNS (gasp) in our dear city against community's wishes. My twelve-year-old daughter and I had a wonderful time listening to the discussion. Resolution passed 4-2. BFA and OFCC are doing good stuff!

As far as the Irish Festival, next year will be interesting. They discussed the idea of having a private entity host the Irish Festival, making it a place that can be posted. Of course, the loss of the city's immunity is an issue.

Oberlin was mentioned, although the Asst. Law Director could not remember the name of the city. He did categorically state that Oberlin cannot win and neither can Dublin because of the terrible state laws getting in the way. I submit that Dublin's citizens and visitors all won tonight. :D

Thank you to all who fight for the rights of all. It makes a real difference to those of us who care. I am especially appreciative of MyWifeSaidYes for his good work.. He kicked their butts today and wasn't even there! His name was mentioned quite often, though, and they sounded like they were talking about a festering sore that wouldn't go away peacefully. They're right. :lol:
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
BriKuz

Re: Dublin Assault Weapons Ban

Post by BriKuz »

An UNCLE Festering Sore? :shock:

Good job, all who were in on this!
Bombarde32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Bombarde32 »

I just finished watching the online video of the City Council meeting. I continue to be amazed by statements such as, "people come to these events [Irish Festival] with an expectation of being protected." (My paraphrasing) It must be truly wonderful to have such unwavering faith in the power of Gunbuster signs to stop criminals. There also appears to be an ongoing misconception that you cannot have a weapon in any place that serves alcohol. By their logic, the entire Irish Festival is one big bar and therefore a weapons free zone!

My sincere appreciation to all the individuals on this forum who are holding Dublin accountable.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I didn't win any hearts or minds, but I also didn't have to burn down any huts. :P

Here is where the problem begins. This blurb left the lips of the Assistant Law Director with such casual ease that he probably didn't realize there was a problem:

"...we, as a city, are really treated a lot differently than really any other private entity out there" - Steven Smith, Jr. 9/9/13

The problem? They are NOT a PRIVATE entity.

The link below will take you to the start of the discussion about the repeal ordinance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94JFT1ZkIlk#t=590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I didn't win any hearts or minds, but I also didn't have to burn down any huts. :P

Here is where the problem begins. This blurb left the lips of the Assistant Law Director with such casual ease that he probably didn't realize there was a problem:

"...we, as a city, are really treated a lot differently than really any other private entity out there" - Steven Smith, Jr. 9/9/13

The problem? They are NOT a PRIVATE entity.

The link below will take you to the start of the discussion about the repeal ordinance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94JFT1ZkIlk#t=590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The discussion starts at about the 9:55 mark of this video.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

BriKuz wrote:An UNCLE Festering Sore? :shock:

Good job, all who were in on this!
I see what you did there! :lol:

Good job to our ORC 9.68 Compliance Dude! Unfortunately, there are just some (political) hearts and minds that cannot be won over - but you can certainly call them to task on following the laws!
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

If you watched the video, then you heard what council said...they will be talking to their representatives at the Statehouse.

What you may NOT have heard, unless you watched the video to the very end, is that even with the 4-2 vote, the entire council is against freedom.

OFCC is regularly talking to state senators and representatives about maintaining and expanding pro-gun bills (aka pro-rights bills) while fighting against anti-gun bills.

Each and every one of us, as individuals, need to strike up a conversation with OUR representatives, as well.

If you can't make it down to the Statehouse to testify, consider buying a membership to Ohioans for Concealed Carry! They need your support in any way you are willing and able. For those that don't join groups, or if you are already a member, they'll gratefully accept your monetary donations!

Remember, even though OFCC is an all-volunteer, grassroots organization, it takes money to run that organization.
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:If you can't make it down to the Statehouse to testify, consider buying a membership to Ohioans for Concealed Carry! They need your support in any way you are willing and able. For those that don't join groups, or if you are already a member, they'll gratefully accept your monetary donations!

Remember, even though OFCC is an all-volunteer, grassroots organization, it takes money to run that organization.
This! ^^

Shoot, I joined twice this year - once under my old email address and once under my new one (it's a long story... :? )
:mrgreen:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:If you watched the video, then you heard what council said...they will be talking to their representatives at the Statehouse.

What you may NOT have heard, unless you watched the video to the very end, is that even with the 4-2 vote, the entire council is against freedom.

OFCC is regularly talking to state senators and representatives about maintaining and expanding pro-gun bills (aka pro-rights bills) while fighting against anti-gun bills.

Each and every one of us, as individuals, need to strike up a conversation with OUR representatives, as well.

If you can't make it down to the Statehouse to testify, consider buying a membership to Ohioans for Concealed Carry! They need your support in any way you are willing and able. For those that don't join groups, or if you are already a member, they'll gratefully accept your monetary donations!Remember, even though OFCC is an all-volunteer, grassroots organization, it takes money to run that organization.
You forgot to mention, "... and you TOO have the chance to become a festering sore..."

MWSY... Doesn't that moniker just set your heard all a flutter? CONGRATS!
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

Sent a similar email to my state representative too.
Senator Hughes,

On September 9, Dublin City Council voted (4-2) to repeal city ordinance 138.08, which bans "Assault Weapons", because it was in conflict with state law (ORC 9.68). During the discussions, the members of city council and the assistant law director Steve Smith Jr. expressed that they were concerned that they did not have the authority, even under home rule, to prohibit firearms as they see fit. Several times, the topic came up of bringing this to the attention of their state representatives and state senate as an issue that must be "resolved'.

I am writing you as a resident of Dublin and as a constituent to let you know that the concerns of Dublin City Council are not shared by all members of the community. Having consistent firearms-related laws across the state allows law abiding citizens who choose to own firearms to be able to freely travel around the state with the confidence of having consistency in the law. I am proud of the good work that you and others in the state senate are doing to support our rights.

I understand that you are already agree with this sentiment, however I simply wish to confirm with you that should you hear from Dublin City Council, know that they are not fully representing all of the community.

Best regards,
sd790
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

From Dublin, I get turned into Uncle Fester. In Oberlin, I'm Oliver Hardy.

I'm honored to be associated with such great comic personalities.

I wonder how I would look in a brown tunic and a black bowler cap?

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes