Stow Ords on the books

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
BriKuz

Stow Ords on the books

Post by BriKuz »

For what it's worth I just discovered that my old city of residence for ~13 years, Stow, also has an ordinance on the books in violation of ORC 9.68.

Ref:http://www.conwaygreene.com/stow.htm
Stow still has this:
Goto Part nine, title five, Chap. 955. Park and Recreation Areas. and scroll down to 955.02 GENERAL REGULATIONS. (8)

Quote:
(8) No person shall take or discharge any gun, revolver, air or gas rifle or pistol, or slingshot, into any park area, shelter or facility.

This is also published in the Silver Springs Campground Fact sheet (.pdf)

Here's a list and descriptions of the larger Stow public parks. (There's more to Silver Springs Park than just the campground.)

I doubt that this will be a big problem to rectify. I never had a problem in Stow with open carry and I think that this just slipped through the cracks. Probably all that will be needed is a well worded email sent to the Mayor and CC'ed to all the city council members, legal council, and Cheif of Police to get this on the Council's agenda and fixed.
Here's the city government contact information.

I doubt that an email from a FORMER resident now in Virginia is going to carry much weight.

Finding and getting these little lapses reminds me of a quote I've remembered for decades after I'd forgotten the name of the scifi movie that it was in.
"Have you ever tried to get every grain of sugar out of the bag? There's always a couple that just won't come out."

I have absolutely no doubt that there are quite a few small to medium sized citys/towns in Ohio that have similar, if not identical, laws on the books.
ConwayGreene has well over 200 Ohio municipalities listed.

AFTER Oberlin, but i wanted the trouble ticket documented...
pirateguy191

Re: Stow Ords on the books

Post by pirateguy191 »

There is an open carry picnic in Kent this coming Saturday. After the picnic I was planning on taking our dog to Bow Wow Beach in Stow. I also plan on open carrying there. Will report back with any issues.

http://www.bowwowbeach.org/Default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
polizi212

Post by polizi212 »

Where is the open carry event in Kent going to happen? Is open to anyone?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

polizi212 wrote:Where is the open carry event in Kent going to happen? Is open to anyone?
Fred Fuller Park Saturday 09/14/2013 at noon. Come one come all.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Facebook event page:

Kent Family Picnic and Open Carry Gathering
https://www.facebook.com/events/193578827485338/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Sent the city council a short, sweet email outlining the violation and giving them an easy fix. I got this back:
Than you Bianchi, I will speak with the Law Director regarding your question.
I guess we'll see how this goes.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Conversed with the law director a bit, and got this back:
Bianchi,

I know and agree Ohio preempts local law on these. I thought initially you were asking about “discharging.” I will double check the ORC provision. I know it changed in the last year or so regarding the signage and who may not stop you (private businesses and such). I will take a look though. If our ordinance is out of date, we can work with council to get it fixed. I will be in touch. Thanks for the clarification.
I've had consistently good results with ether.