Sign slogan ideas for Oberlin?

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Brian D.

Re: Sign slogan ideas for Oberlin?

Post by Brian D. »

You say snarky I say hilarious. To me many of our typical slogans on signs are beyond passe to flat worn out. (And friends have told me as such on occasion.) I can be dull and boring at the council meeting the next day.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Brian D. wrote:You say snarky I say hilarious. To me many of our typical slogans on signs are beyond passe to flat worn out. (And friends have told me as such on occasion.) I can be dull and boring at the council meeting the next day.
Whatever. Saturday’s event made national news. Now everybody wants to get in on the fun. Yippee!

This isn’t Cincinnati or the Statehouse in Columbus, Brian. This is Oberlin. It is a liberal college town that hosts a college which is “noteworthy for having been the first American institution of higher learning to regularly admit female and black students.” The culture of the college has extended to the city, and liberal idealism is an important part of that culture. Seizing the moral high ground is essential to our cause.

Chuck did a fantastic job of representing our cause. He debated one of the opponents at length, and his sign was one of the best I have seen. (See video.) We may not have made a drastic change in the opinions of the opponents, but we walked away looking honorable. Chuck said that I made him look good in the video. Not so. He made himself look good.

Do you want to create an additional impact? Since I was the one who shot the video, there is none of me. However, I spent an extended period of time talking to a city councilman. During that time, the city manager came over and said that he hoped all the out-of-towners were at least patronizing the local businesses. Why not take him up on that? I know there was at least one pro-gun Oberlin resident, armed and in attendance, and Nick_M is from Wellington. Perhaps they could give us a list of gun-friendly local groceries, delis and restaurants where we can buy our picnic lunches while openly carrying holstered handguns. I’m not talking about national franchises; I’m talking about genuine local businesses. Not only will we be Second Amendment proponents, but also good folks who are contributing to the local economy.

I had reservations about showing up on Saturday, but I’m glad I did. Now I find myself contemplating the possibility of showing up next Sunday and shooting more video. However, if this event is going to become an arrogant snarkfest with the gun guys making fun of the old hippies, I want no part of it. Have fun.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Aw, man. I hate it when logic gets involved.

I have to admit that we didn't insult anyone (overtly) and we didn't have any long guns to really fuel the fire.

Once the council repeals their ordinance, if they choose not to fight preemption, this story will quickly die. How do WE want to be remembered?

While I would have a great time pointing at Brian D. and laughing (that's just SOP), we DID manage to at least get some points across on Sunday. We showed them, by example, that we weren't there to fan the flames, we just wanted laws to be followed. Chuck even got a hug from the lady in pink that he was talking to.

I'm gonna put my tie-dyed t-shirt back in the closet. :cry:
MyWifeSaidYes
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

I must concur with Werz, here. There are times and places for shock and awe... I do not believe this to be one of them. We made a HUGE impact by acting professional and courteous.

I would hope that we could all try subdued and understated, elegant, even. See how the vote goes next Monday before we go loud and obnoxious.

My polite request.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Moderators please close this thread.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BriKuz wrote:I must concur with Werz, here. There are times and places for shock and awe... I do not believe this to be one of them. We made a HUGE impact by acting professional and courteous.

I would hope that we could all try subdued and understated, elegant, even. See how the vote goes next Monday before we go loud and obnoxious.

My polite request.
I would still like to know the gun-friendly businesses that some of us could patronize for lunch: the ones with no gunbuster signs, where the owners are not likely to freak out if people carry openly. Councilman Burgess mentioned that there are two Italian restaurants and three Asian restaurants (one with a Korean influence, and if I eat enough kim-chee, nobody will want to talk to me), and on the way out of town, I saw one Italian restaurant and one Asian restaurant in the same building, but I have no idea which restaurants or delis will welcome our business. Do any local residents want to sound off?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Done.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.