Vandalia Park Rules

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
TJW815

Re: Vandalia Park Rules

Post by TJW815 »

Went and picked up a cheapo Blackhawk nylon holster. It will do for a day I suppose. See y'all Sunday.
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

TJW815 wrote:Went and picked up a cheapo Blackhawk nylon holster. It will do for a day I suppose. See y'all Sunday.
Look into a holster from DanDan. My wife's holster that we night from him is excellent. I don't think his prices are too bad either.

Now if only he could make a holster for my OC handgun I would have bought two by now. :(
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Depending on my gasoline situation, I should be able to do Sunday at 2pm.

My 15-year-old open carrying son will be with me but my shotgun will not (sling issues).
MyWifeSaidYes
Defender SR-9

Post by Defender SR-9 »

I'll try to free up my afternoon to make it there at 2 pm.
Defender SR-9

Post by Defender SR-9 »

ohiophotog wrote:Response from city manager
Mr. Ohiophotog,

As I am sure you know, there are many laws regarding firearms, including concealed carry laws, open carry laws, registration requirements, restrictions in certain locations, (which currently does not include public parks). With the passage of Ohio Revised Code section 9.68, the ability to control firearms (including within public parks) was basically taken over by the State. In order to assure that the City would be in compliance with gun laws (which can change at any time by an act of the State legislature), the City decided on the language “"Except as expressly permitted by State law, no person in a park shall carry on his or her person firearms…”

I am not in favor of remaining silent on the subject all together since state law can change at any time and there may be a time where the state law will prohibit guns in public parks. As public parks are open to all, (including those that may be uncomfortable with the presence of weapons), the City’s preference is that the rule be read to prohibit weapons in the park as the “default”.

City of Vandalia
While I appreciate the professional approach to his response I am unsure how to respond. What are you opinions?
What gun registration laws do we have? I guess I've missed those requirements! It sounds like they want to leave the signage "as is" because one day, the law might change. Maybe that is how their City Manager has been charged with an OVI- he figured that the laws regulating the amount one could consume before driving a vehicle would eventually change, therefore he would be fine. Darn those ambiguous laws, they always get even the most well intended citizens in trouble.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Two things.

1) The city manager expressed, in writing, his city's intention for the ordinance to prohibit firearms by "default".

2) The city seems to think that ORC 9.68 does not apply to a criminal, but it does.

I know that second one may seem odd, but ORC 9.68 is a general law and applies evenly and equally throughout the state.

EVEN IF A PERSON IS A CRIMINAL AND IN ILLEGAL POSSESSION OF A FIREARM, ONLY A STATE STAUTE OR HIGHER APPLIES.

By trying to allow legal carry and disallow illegal carry, the city fails in their duty to follow ORC 9.68. Their ordinance must be revised or repealed.

If this matter does need to go to court, Mr. Anderson's written intent to regulate firearms at the city level should ensure a quick trial IF a default judgment is not secured.

I do not know if Mr. Anderson consulted with their city attorney as the Vandalia Chief of Police did back in April, 2012 regarding ORC 9.68 and open carry of firearms.

The police training memo that was created from that inquiry can be found here: http://www.ohionets.com/stuff/vandalia/ ... -12-08.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feel free to forward the above wandering thoughts to Mr. Anderson, if so desired.

If you do, you should also include a copy of the linked PDF file as an attachment to your email as well as the link above.

You may also want to print out a copy or two of that training memo to keep with you while open carrying at parks in Vandalia.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

And where in the heck am I going in Vandalia? What park? Address?

I'm coming in from Columbus.
MyWifeSaidYes
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

ohiophotog wrote:How about the park at 1101 Stonequarry Road Dayton, Ohio 45414. It seems to offer the most as far as playgrounds and shelter houses.

Sunday at 2?
Its a vandalia park right by the airport. It appears to be accessible from the airport access ramp from 70 then a right on stone quarry rd. Google should point you in the right direction.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

ohiophotog wrote:
ohiophotog wrote:How about the park at 1101 Stonequarry Road Dayton, Ohio 45414. It seems to offer the most as far as playgrounds and shelter houses.

Sunday at 2?
Its a vandalia park right by the airport. It appears to be accessible from the airport access ramp from 70 then a right on stone quarry rd. Google should point you in the right direction.
Yeah so I guess getting off of the airport access road at Stonequarry road might get a bit bumpy :shock:
Googling the address may be safer.
I would post a link to directions but my phone is not cooperating with me. :roll:

So thats 1101 Stonequarry Road Dayton, Ohio a.k.a. Vandalia Recreation Center Park at 2:00pm
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

I just realized that I had not done any real recon on this place and never said where to meet within the park and it's kinda huge.

According to Google satellite there is a large triple octagon shaped shelter house with two large playgrounds on the left side between ball fields. Looks good to me.

Of course you could look for the group open carrying. Or if things go south quickly look for the cops. :mrgreen:

I have PMed my cell to MWSY and TJW815 with my cell number. If all else fails send me a PM on here and I will get the email notification on my phone.

I will try to arrive at 1:30 ish.

Hope to see you all there.
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Sounds like fun!! I'll try to be there...
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

ohiophotog wrote:

Sunday at 2?

Stonequarry Road is not accessible from the airport access ramp. Continue to US 40, turn right. Then right on Peters Pike. Then left on Stonequarry.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Two things.

1) The city manager expressed, in writing, his city's intention for the ordinance to prohibit firearms by "default".

2) The city seems to think that ORC 9.68 does not apply to a criminal, but it does.

I know that second one may seem odd, but ORC 9.68 is a general law and applies evenly and equally throughout the state.

EVEN IF A PERSON IS A CRIMINAL AND IN ILLEGAL POSSESSION OF A FIREARM, ONLY A STATE STAUTE OR HIGHER APPLIES.

By trying to allow legal carry and disallow illegal carry, the city fails in their duty to follow ORC 9.68. Their ordinance must be revised or repealed.

If this matter does need to go to court, Mr. Anderson's written intent to regulate firearms at the city level should ensure a quick trial IF a default judgment is not secured.

I do not know if Mr. Anderson consulted with their city attorney as the Vandalia Chief of Police did back in April, 2012 regarding ORC 9.68 and open carry of firearms.

The police training memo that was created from that inquiry can be found here: http://www.ohionets.com/stuff/vandalia/ ... -12-08.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feel free to forward the above wandering thoughts to Mr. Anderson, if so desired.

If you do, you should also include a copy of the linked PDF file as an attachment to your email as well as the link above.

You may also want to print out a copy or two of that training memo to keep with you while open carrying at parks in Vandalia.

That memorandum is surprisingly well written
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

TJW815 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Two things.

That memorandum is surprisingly well written
With some grammatical errors. Surprising for an attorney. They are human too I guess.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Ain't it, though? :)

We'll see you folks soon.
MyWifeSaidYes