Hocking County FG actually IS posted

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Hocking County FG actually IS posted

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I have stated in the past that the Hocking County Fairgrounds is not posted. I have open carried there without issue even though I was the center of attention of many of the deputies I passed.

Today, while letting my son get some experience behind the wheel, we drove past the FG to make sure that they didn't sneak in any signs since last year.

The good news? They haven't!

The bad news? There are CPZ signs on the fence at 2 entrances.

Why didn't I notice them before? Both signs are almost completely white, washed out by the sun. The red circle is long gone on both signs. On one, the black text of the sign is barely light gray. On the other, the slight outline on the paint of where the letters used to be can be seen...if you're close enough.

I'll stop in Monday and see if I can get them down the same day.
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Hocking County FG actually IS posted

Post by Javelin Man »

Leave the signs up, use them for target practice. :P
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Maybe if they let me take them home. Target practice at the FG would probably be frowned upon. :shock:

Hmm. Where can I get some of those bullet hole stickers?

May have to use those if the FG doesn't want to remove the signs.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I waited until after the fair was over.

This is what I sent:
Dear Hocking Co. Ag. Soc.-

There are at least two ‘No guns’ signs posted on the fence at the entrances to the Hocking County fairgrounds. One is at the south-western entry gate (to the right of the gate) and the other is at the southern parking area gate (left of the gate). There may be others. The two in question are sun-faded almost completely white.

Could you please take these signs down as they are in violation of Ohio Revised Code 9.68.

If necessary, I can provide the labor to remove the signs at no cost.

As you probably know, Agricultural Societies are not private entities, and any land they own or county-owned land they manage, is not private property.

This can be confirmed by:
-reviewing Ohio Revised Code 1711.13 ( http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1711.13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ),
-reviewing the Ohio Supreme Court opinion in Greene Cty. Agricultural Soc. v. Liming
( http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/do ... io-486.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ),
-contacting the Ohio Attorney General for an opinion. The OAG has no less than 2 previous opinions confirming that Ag. Societies, while independent, are still public entities.

As a public entity, the Society must follow all general provisions of state law, including ORC 9.68 which prohibits public entities from having rules or regulations restricting the possession of firearms.

I have no complaints to make other than the signs are still posted. I just found out myself right before the fair started. As a Hocking county resident, I just want to make sure no public entity exposes itself to lawsuits. That's money this county and it's agencies do not need to spend.

I am not a lawyer, but if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Thanks!

-"MWSY"
September 18, 2013
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sorry I haven't been updating the status on my own county.

I received a reply from the fair secretary in October, 2013:
I gave the members all a copy of your email at our meeting this week.
Since we are still unclear as to how to handle this, our president has
designated one of our members to speak with the Prosecuting Attorney since she is
the one who gives us legal advice.
I waited two more weeks with no response and called the Prosecutor's office. The Ag. Soc. did contact their office, but apparently didn't understand what I wanted to have happen.

"The signs are faded? You want us to replace them?"

Sigh.

I got across the point I was trying to make, but nothing ever came of it. Other sources of fun were happening around that time last year, so I didn't follow up.

I mean, the signs are REALLY faded. (see below)

Fast forward to this year. I emailed the fair secretary again and asked if she had heard anything back about this subject.
I gave your note to our president. He said to ask you to come to our next meeting if you would like to discuss this. That will be Tuesday, August 12 at 7 pm in the Fair office.
So I stopped in last night. Bottom line? The county owns the property and the commissioners sent the signs and told the Ag. Soc. to post them. Of course, no one knows how long ago. Gee, that couldn't have been handled through email?

So, I stopped by the local library (I had my daughter with me) and started writing an email to the commissioners. I didn't have my laptop with me (and my phone is dumb), so I used a public computer to send it. Halfway through, they started shutting down the computers!

I could have just saved a draft, but I really wanted the email to go out. I don't think this one is up to my usual standards, but at least it was sent.
Dear Hocking County Commissioners-

The Hocking County Fairgrounds has two (or more) signs on the border fence that restrict firearms.

Since 2007, with the passage of Ohio Revised Code 9.68, these signs are illegal and are no longer permitted. Certain buildings can be posted, but not open areas.

I spoke with the Hocking County Agricultural Society at their meeting on August 12, 2014 and was told that Hocking County owns the fairgrounds.

As they manage the fairgrounds, could you please advise the Agricultural Society to remove the signs, I would appreciate it.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Please let me know when the signs will be removed.

Thank you!

-"MWSY"
August 12, 2014
They meet on Thursday morning so I might have to stop in. :wink:

Sign #1 (this one has faded more since last year when I took the picture)

Sign #2
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Saw this blurb on the local newspaper's web site:
Concealed carry signs

According to the new laws regarding concealed firearms, Hocking County no longer has the right to ban concealed firearms on the Hocking County Fairgrounds because it is an open area.

The ban can still be applied to buildings on the property, but new signs will have to be displayed on the individual buildings. The commissioners stated that they would address the issue with the Hocking County Fair Board to have them remove the signs.

The next meeting of the Hocking County Commissioners is scheduled for 9 a.m. Tuesday.
Yay!
MyWifeSaidYes
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Saw this blurb on the local newspaper's web site:
Concealed carry signs

According to the new laws regarding concealed firearms, Hocking County no longer has the right to ban concealed firearms on the Hocking County Fairgrounds because it is an open area.

The ban can still be applied to buildings on the property, but new signs will have to be displayed on the individual buildings. The commissioners stated that they would address the issue with the Hocking County Fair Board to have them remove the signs.

The next meeting of the Hocking County Commissioners is scheduled for 9 a.m. Tuesday.
Yay!
Booyah!
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Saw this blurb on the local newspaper's web site:
Concealed carry signs

Yay!
Sorta Yay! How much you wanna bet they still think they can ban unlicensed open carry?
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JustJack wrote:Sorta Yay! How much you wanna bet they still think they can ban unlicensed open carry?
Well, I don't know. That's a totally different subject.

These folks only had signs posted and they did not bother me when I open carried at the fair in the past.
MyWifeSaidYes
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

Good on ya brother!
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

So I waited a couple weeks for the fair board to get around to taking down the signs. They still haven't.

The fair starts next week.

I stopped in and asked about it and found out from the fair board secretary that the county commissioners hadn't contacted them BUT that she did see the news article about the commissioners saying the signs must be removed.

Even then, I still had to pester them until one person said he would call one of the commissioners and would get the signs down.

I'll drive by again tomorrow.
MyWifeSaidYes
JmE

Post by JmE »

MWSY, I'd gently suggest to you that you attend a few public meetings of the local powers that be (the Hocking County Commissioners in this case) and get to know them personally if you haven't already. It has seemed to make a huge difference in my AO in regards to getting results on issues like this and other things (zoning, etc). Ideally, it really shouldn't matter but the sad reality is that it does seem to sway their approach in most cases. The whole sign issue might have been resolved through an agenda item at the commissioners' meeting. They will try to defer to the AG Society but ultimately, the county is the property holder and would be able to move with authority and speed.

If you still have my contact info (cell phone or email), please get in touch with me if your are intending on OCing at the fair. I would like to walk beside you but have to have as much notice as possible in order to save up funds and arrange the schedule.

Keep up the good work!
Then, Sir, we will give them the bayonet! - Gen.Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it. - Gen. Robert E. Lee
If we must die, we die defending our rights. - Chief Sitting Bull

Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JmE wrote:MWSY, I'd gently suggest to you that you attend a few public meetings of the local powers that be (the Hocking County Commissioners in this case) and get to know them personally if you haven't already.
JmE wrote:...The whole sign issue might have been resolved through an agenda item at the commissioners' meeting...
JmE wrote:...They will try to defer to the AG Society but ultimately, the county is the property holder and would be able to move with authority and speed...
This case was backwards from what I usually get. Most frequently, the commissioners pass things off to the Ag. Soc.

I went to an Ag. Soc. meeting and was told that the commissioners had sent the signs to the Ag. Soc. originally for posting.

The commissioners agreed that the signs needed to come down at their meeting just a few days after I contacted them.

They just forget to TELL the Ag. Soc.

If the signs are down, I'll believe their story.

If they are not down by Sunday night, I aim to misbehave. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
JmE

Post by JmE »

Yep, our county agricultural society would've played "keep away" with the ball so I went to the majority property owner (aka the county) first. The commissioners claimed that the signs were owned and placed by the society. I pointed out the county's close connections (mandatory honorary memberships in the society, etc) and refused to let them pass the buck. I indicated that the county was the entity that was going to get sued and hinted that a long gun might be on my back next year. ;) The county agricultural society was never involved. They were just told by the commissioners to have the head of maintenance for the fairgrounds (a friend of mine and neighbor) to remove all signs immediately. It seems like lighting a fire under the <b>elected</b> officials works out as fastest for me.

Good work! If you want another hooligan to misbehave with you, just give me a shout. :mrgreen:
Then, Sir, we will give them the bayonet! - Gen.Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it. - Gen. Robert E. Lee
If we must die, we die defending our rights. - Chief Sitting Bull

Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato