Lorain County Fair

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
BriKuz

Re: Lorain County Fair

Post by BriKuz »

I may have to eat a little crow... Jordysoso from OCDO claims to have not seen a single sign at the fair.

My wife, kids, and I will be going to the fair tonight... until then, I'll shut my yap and try to NOT act like a <donkey butt>

DJ and Werz, thank you for the feedback... I need to use my brains, not my emotions...
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

BriKuz wrote:I may have to eat a little crow... Jordysoso from OCDO claims to have not seen a single sign at the fair.

My wife, kids, and I will be going to the fair tonight... until then, I'll shut my yap and try to NOT act like a <donkey butt>

DJ and Werz, thank you for the feedback... I need to use my brains, not my emotions...
If it turns out that they're not posted, please promptly and profusely apologize to the folks you've been contacting.

When we own up to being wrong (when we are), it lends credence to the times when we must continue to insist we're right.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

jabeatty wrote:
BriKuz wrote:I may have to eat a little crow... Jordysoso from OCDO claims to have not seen a single sign at the fair.

If it turns out that they're not posted, please promptly and profusely apologize to the folks you've been contacting.

When we own up to being wrong (when we are), it lends credence to the times when we must continue to insist we're right.
Oh, I have NO problem admitting my mistakes, or apologizing for them.
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

I just sent the following to the lady i was emailing back and forth with at the fair:
I owe you a massive apology. I was under the impression, given by the Sheriff's Office, that the ENTIRE fairgrounds was posted "No Firearms," not just buildings as allowed by law. To be fair, personnel answering the phones in the office could have made this easier by just stating that the fair gates were not posted, as opposed to the canned "The fair has posted the areas we could legally post". My reasoning for being skeptic was the fact that several OTHER fair boards/ag societies had a skewed sense of what the law is. You and your staff have my deepest apologies for my mistaken thought.

I look forward to patronizing the fair tonight with my wife and children, carrying our firearms as allowed by law.

Once again, my sincerest apologies.
I would also like to apologize to members of this board, as my misunderstanding could lead to MORE hard feelings against both CC and OC...

I will endeavor, from this point forward, to think with the upper head, not the glutus maximus!
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

At the fair... barns are not posted... they are shelters... talked to Charise in person. Appologized profusely... may be helping get the website to run better
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BriKuz wrote:The Sheriff's department says they are County property and they are posted and we will be arrested if we try to carry.

Well, the Ag. Society is okay then. What about the comment from the Sheriff?
MyWifeSaidYes
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

The comment was from a dispatcher... one of the deputies i chatted with told me NEVER to listen to the dispatchers about what's posted.

I'm glad that this county sees the barns as shelters, and does not post them... their opinion is the only thing that can be posted is the fair office... everything else falls under building exemptions.

Anyhow, fun evening...
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

BriKuz wrote:At the fair... barns are not posted... they are shelters...
Now THAT is a very favorable interpretation. Almost seems to me like the attorney for this Ag Society was looking for a way to allow carry wherever possible.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The county may be okay now, but the city of Oberlin (in Lorain county) seems to be upset with ORC 9.68.
MyWifeSaidYes
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Time to resurrect a long dead thread, but only because our friends asked us to come up and spend an evening at the Lorain County Fair with them. We've not been to a fair in a very long time because they're really not our thing. Anyway, I'm pleased to report that the Lorain County situation remains unchanged from the 2013 update here. The gates and grounds are not posted, nor are any of the buildings or grandstands and I made it a point to read every sign. The only exception is a single door to the fair office that is also marked "directors and staff only" or some such.

There is a code of conduct posted throughout the place but it basically has to do with being a hooligan and says if you act the fool or do something illegal they'll throw you out and maybe have you arrested. "Fair" enough.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Maybe it will stick, but I'd still check next year. ;)
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

As I've traveled Northwest Ohio's county fairs, I've noticed very few fairs posting all the buildings and recently haven't seen any fair post at the gates about guns prohibited.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:As I've traveled Northwest Ohio's county fairs, I've noticed very few fairs posting all the buildings and recently haven't seen any fair post at the gates about guns prohibited.
I wish western Ohio fairs were the same. At the Darke county fair, all the buildings are posted again this year, including a small trailer that is essentially being used as a port a potty
(it does have plumbing however) The only rooms in this trailer is a mens restroom and a womens restroom.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

M-Quigley wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:As I've traveled Northwest Ohio's county fairs, I've noticed very few fairs posting all the buildings and recently haven't seen any fair post at the gates about guns prohibited.
I wish western Ohio fairs were the same. At the Darke county fair, all the buildings are posted again this year, including a small trailer that is essentially being used as a port a potty
(it does have plumbing however) The only rooms in this trailer is a mens restroom and a womens restroom.
Signs are few in Mercer County Fairgrounds.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:At the Darke county fair, all the buildings are posted again this year, including a small trailer that is essentially being used as a port a potty
That is a violation of Ohio law. You might consider pointing out to them this section o the ORC:
(B) A valid concealed handgun license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:
(7) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section, unless the governing body with authority over the building has enacted a statute, ordinance, or policy that permits a licensee to carry a concealed handgun into the building;
Emphasis mine.

That, along with ORC 9.68, means they *cannot* post that trailer.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!