Fulton Co. Fair

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
yiteurp

Fulton Co. Fair

Post by yiteurp »

So the fair is starting soon. I am a friend on they're facebook page they asked if everyone was ready for th fair and had any questions .. Soooooo I asked If firearms were allowed. and of course they responded.. NEVER , NOPE, NOWAY, NOHOW.. it will be posted.. Now I cant find any info on who owns the property.. or any info what so ever.. does anyone know or have info
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Fulton Co. Fair

Post by Javelin Man »

Whoops, broke rule #1... :shock:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
rexles

Post by rexles »

You can carry on the fair grounds, just not in the buildings
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

From there most recent state audit
A. Description of the Entity
The constitution and laws of the State of Ohio establish the rights and privileges of the Fulton County Agricultural Society, Fulton County, Ohio (the Society), as a body corporate and politic.

Fairgrounds are owned by an entity called FULTON COUNTY FAIR GROUND but the county commissioners are listed as the tax address name, and the land use is classified as 620 - EXEMPT PROP OWN BY COUNTIES

So any blanket posting of the grounds would seem to fly in the face of ORC 9.68.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
yiteurp

Post by yiteurp »

Javelin Man wrote:Whoops, broke rule #1... :shock:
YES I Know .. I wanted to see what they said.. I suppose the FB page is run by some high
school kid
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I just sent this email to the Fulton County Fair Board:
Agricultural Societies are created under Ohio Revised Code 1711. This statute allows for a COUNTY or an INDEPENDANT ag society to be established.

When choosing to form as an INDEPENDANT organization, this does NOT make that organization a privte entity. An ag society that manages a fairground or creates a fair board to do so, is a political subdivision of the state of Ohio. In other words, ALL ag societies created under ORC 1711 are public entities. See Greene Cty. Agricultural Soc. v. Liming (2000), 89 Ohio St.3d 551.(http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/rod/docs/ ... io-486.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

As all public entities are subject to the General Laws of the state of Ohio, ag societies must comply with ORC 9.68 regarding rules and regulations concerning firearms.

Under Ohio law, an ag society or fair board may post a "No Guns" sign on any building that is not primarily a rest area, shelter, restroom or parking facility. An ag society may NOT post any open area.

ALL ag societies formed under ORC 1711 are bodies corporate and politic, and may sue and be sued. ORC 9.68 allows for a court to award costs and attorney fees should your organization be sued.

Lawsuits under ORC 9.68 are easily winnable, but not profitable.

Because the ag society is earning money (such as admission fees) while violating a state law, a plaintiff may have a valid reason to ask for punative damages to be awarded. A reasonable amount to ask for might be an amount equal to the gate admission fees for the last seven years (since ORC 9.68 has been in effect).

I would ask the fair board and the ag society to IMMEDIATELY remove any and all signage that restricts the legal open carry or licensed concealed carry of firearms within the fairgrounds.

Please contact me when you have removed the signs, or with a reason for why you have not.

Thanks!
I'll let you know if I hear from them.
MyWifeSaidYes
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

That letter sounds very generic, one that any of our members could copy and use in their County as necessary.
Good letter.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Excellent letter! Of course, the board will meet about once a month, form a committee, run rulings past their attorney, regroup, change the directors on the board at the next election during the fair, change committee members, restart the procedures and hope you forgot about everything before they send a response in 2017.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

Has someone got this, yet? Or shall I start my "annoy with facts until they figure it out" contretemps? ;-)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I just sent the letter after business hours on Tuesday. The Ag Societies/Fair Boards seem so informally run that I would give them a week to respond.

Jav. Man, if it came to a lawsuit, one might be able to get an injunction to keep the signs down. Without that, you're right. Until 9.68 gets teeth, this will repeat indefinitely.
MyWifeSaidYes
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

Fulton County Prosecutor's Office says they cannot talk about it, I need to retain my own council... Refused to say anything else.