County Fairgrounds - Let's Fix This Once and For All

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
propertymanager

County Fairgrounds - Let's Fix This Once and For All

Post by propertymanager »

It seems to me that there are basically two scenarios that exist pertaining to county fairgrounds that post. The first scenario is a fairgrounds that is owned and operated by the county and is a CLEAR violation of 9.68. The second scenario is a fairgrounds that is owned by the county and leased or operated by an agricultural society. Since agricultural societies are political subdivisions per the attorney general and per the supreme court case, this is also a CLEAR violation of 9.68.

I suggest that we put together a group within OFCC to take care of all these illegal fairgrounds postings once and for all. It seems to me that we could easily put together some boilerplate letters to send to the appropriate officials (sheriff, fair board, agricultural society, county commissioners, etc). In the instances where the letters don't work, we could certainly pool resources and sue the offending fairground operator via a boilerplate lawsuit that we could use over and over again. We should get our money back, thanks to 9.68, after each suit and once we win a time or two, the remainder of the offenders might think twice. This isn't the Zimmerman Trial and I simply don't think that the issues are that complicated or will be that expensive. If the fairgrounds is owned and operated by the county, they are violating 9.68 - where's the legal issue? If the fairgrounds is owned by the county and leased or operated by an agricultural society, those have already been determined by the AG and the Supreme Court to be political subdivisions. Again - where's the issue?

I'll be happy to head up the group or join in as the group desires. Is anyone in?
Mike
OFCC Member
BriKuz

Re: County Fairgrounds - Let's Fix This Once and For All

Post by BriKuz »

I'm in, as much as time allows...
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

propertymanager wrote:It seems to me that there are basically two scenarios that exist pertaining to county fairgrounds that post. The first scenario is a fairgrounds that is owned and operated by the county and is a CLEAR violation of 9.68. The second scenario is a fairgrounds that is owned by the county and leased or operated by an agricultural society. Since agricultural societies are political subdivisions per the attorney general and per the supreme court case, this is also a CLEAR violation of 9.68.

I suggest that we put together a group within OFCC to take care of all these illegal fairgrounds postings once and for all. It seems to me that we could easily put together some boilerplate letters to send to the appropriate officials (sheriff, fair board, agricultural society, county commissioners, etc). In the instances where the letters don't work, we could certainly pool resources and sue the offending fairground operator via a boilerplate lawsuit that we could use over and over again. We should get our money back, thanks to 9.68, after each suit and once we win a time or two, the remainder of the offenders might think twice. This isn't the Zimmerman Trial and I simply don't think that the issues are that complicated or will be that expensive. If the fairgrounds is owned and operated by the county, they are violating 9.68 - where's the legal issue? If the fairgrounds is owned by the county and leased or operated by an agricultural society, those have already been determined by the AG and the Supreme Court to be political subdivisions. Again - where's the issue?

I'll be happy to head up the group or join in as the group desires. Is anyone in?
If you're coming to the PITP, why don't you discuss this with Doug Deeken and Kevin Deye while you're there? There is still a problem with 9.68 that we hope to soon get resolved.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
diamondsun

Post by diamondsun »

schmieg wrote:There is still a problem with 9.68 that we hope to soon get resolved.
Lack of teeth?
To America's Citizen Soldier; Who answered the call; Climbed the hill; Paid the price; And never let us down.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

diamondsun wrote:
schmieg wrote:There is still a problem with 9.68 that we hope to soon get resolved.
Lack of teeth?
Hopefully we can get it's teeth added on one of the current firearm bills that are already pending via an amendment. Of course, we have to pick the right bill that we hope will actually pass or else we will still be using dentures.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.