Canfield Fair (Mahoning County Fair)

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
SMMAssociates

Re: Canfield Fair (Mahoning County Fair)

Post by SMMAssociates »

My daughter turned up after lunch on Monday from Columbus. She's going to hang around here for a while and terrorize my wife and I, and hit the Fair. She used to help park cars there - made a few bucks, too!

(Maybe she'll do it again - she could use the money :D.)

Buddy of mine bought a house in Canfield, and about mid-August a few years ago a neighbor asked him what he was going to do about parking for the Fair. Dun? :D.... That's when he found out that he could park several hundred cars on his lawn, practically inside one of the main gates. Even with paid staff, he made a pile of money.

Wish they'd get the signs right, or blow away the restriction entirely, but it's not too terrible now.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Emailed NEOCarry to see if they can round up a few OC'ers for this weekend.

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
NEO Carry

Post by NEO Carry »

NEO Carry will be calling the fairgrounds this afternoon to clarify. We will also be posting and trying to round up as many people as possible for this Saturday for an OC trip to the fairgrounds. I will try to be there with my two daughters and will see how many others we can get. I will update tonight on what I find out.

Brett
NEO Carry President
CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I sent off a slightly different letter.

Told 'em how excited I was to attend their fair this year.

And some other stuff.
Sounds intriguing. Can you tell us more?
"Who is John Galt?"

"So this is how freedom dies --- with thunderous applause."
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Basically promised to bring lots of big scary guns to the fair.

No response.

So I just called them and told the lady about the sign. She took my name and number and told me "someone will call you back".

Yeah, right.

I said, "Okay. I've got several groups that are planning to visit the fair and they like to carry their handguns out in the open as well as shotguns, rifles and..."

"LET ME SEE IF I CAN FIND SOMEONE FOR YOU TO TALK TO..."

She did, but he's not 'the guy'. He will have 'the guy' call me back tonight or first thing tomorrow. I told him I'll be up until midnight.
MyWifeSaidYes
NEO Carry

Post by NEO Carry »

One of NEO Carry's members cousin is the chief of police for the fair. He talked to him today and the chief said in no uncertain terms that carry was absolutely legal there. He said open or concealed it didn't matter, it would be fine. He is a big gun rights supporter and said we would not be bothered. He said its up to the commission to remove the sign, but that anyone could carry into the fair without issue. Out if this, we have found another big supporter of the second amendment. I was very impressed with his response.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:...I said, "Okay. I've got several groups that are planning to visit the fair and they like to carry their handguns out in the open as well as shotguns, rifles and..."

"LET ME SEE IF I CAN FIND SOMEONE FOR YOU TO TALK TO..."
LOL

Next time, make sure you mention your that your friend with the self-propelled howitzer is just itching to bring it. :wink:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

You people are top of the line. Thanks from all 2A supporters.
"Who is John Galt?"

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

CousinCarl-

"You" is "us".

:wink:

One of the fair board directors, James C. "Jim" Evans called Tuesday evening.

He will review the signs and make changes as necessary.

He said he would call me on Wednesday evening with an update.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Mr. Evans says the signs are down.

Trust but verify?

If they are down, I'm still visiting the fair with my handgun, but I will leave my shotgun at home. :P
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

A Mahoning county native was telling me last night that the Canfield Fair is very large, and usually elbow-to-elbow. Carry on, but carry smart. In such conditions I often prefer to carry concealed but it's possible to OC. A retention holster might be a good idea for carry in a crowd. Seems like a lot of frequent OC'ers own and use those much of the time anyway, just throwing the general idea out there for what it's worth.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Mr. Evans says the signs are down.

Trust but verify?

If they are down, I'm still visiting the fair with my handgun, but I will leave my shotgun at home. :P
I have an on-the-scene report that as of noon at least one sign was still up. I sent as message to my contact to find out where it is located.
"Who is John Galt?"

CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

CousinCarl wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Mr. Evans says the signs are down.

Trust but verify?

I have an on-the-scene report that as of noon at least one sign was still up. I sent as message to my contact to find out where it is located.

The sign was at Gate C.
"Who is John Galt?"

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Can you confirm WHERE at Gate C the sign is posted and what wording it has?

If it's on a building, it's okay IF it doesn't have wording restricting the premises.

I don't want to call Mr. Evans if the sign is legit. If the sign is invalid, I will use 12 telephones, if I have to.

:P
MyWifeSaidYes
Chetmystery

Post by Chetmystery »

Went to the fair tonight, drove in through Gate 9 and walked in Gate E, and saw no signs. Also didn't see any signs on any buildings, but I also didn't look very close as I didn't go into any of them. Just got some good (but not good for you) food tonight. :lol:

Good work to all involved to get the signs down in time. And if you visit the fair, I highly recommend the smoked, bacon wrapped jalapenos at the Drunken Moose BBQ stand. :twisted: