Canfield Fair (Mahoning County Fair)

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
CousinCarl

Canfield Fair (Mahoning County Fair)

Post by CousinCarl »

The grounds are owned by the Mahoning County Agricultural Society, "a body corporate and politic" according to their 11/4/2010 financial audit. As of last fall the fair was posted no guns. I am just learning about the ins-and-outs here but from what I have been reading this is an illegal posting.

One key point is if is is still posted. I wonder if anyone near there would be able to wander by and look at the entrance gates to the fairgrounds.

Thanks.
"Who is John Galt?"

"So this is how freedom dies --- with thunderous applause."
CousinCarl

Update: Canfield Fair (Mahoning County Fair) PHOTOS

Post by CousinCarl »

Here are the accompanying photos. The GB sign was posted at the gate pictured. The wording is interesting and, at least to me, confusing if not misleading.

What do you think?
"Who is John Galt?"

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Canfield Fair (Mahoning County Fair)

Post by Cruiser »

A little confusing! :?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Karl:

Confusing as the sign is, it's actually accurate.

You can carry on the grounds with a CHL. The place's status as a Government facility seems to fit 9.68's rules - the change that opened up the rest rooms on the Turnpike :D....

However, the presumption is that the buildings, other than the restrooms, are considered Government Buildings, and while things could go either way in some cases (sheep barn, for example), it's probably a good idea to stay out of them.

If the Fair is a wholly private institution (seems to NOT be the case), then the gunbuster is valid for the premises. (Parking lots are generally just a Civil issue, so you could leave your firearm in your car without a problem.) It's meaningless, of course, for the unlicensed, because they're not supposed to be carrying anyway, but accurate as far as CHL's are concerned.

Open Carry? Dunno.... I'd bet you could make a case allowing OC in a building, but it'd be a mess.

In short, in compliance, but silly....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

Thanks for your input Stu.
"Who is John Galt?"

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

NOT IN COMPLIANCE because the sign restricts open carry.

The Ag Society is a public entity, so they can't post anything BUT the buildings.

I just sent them (and Fulton county) this email:
Agricultural Societies are created under Ohio Revised Code 1711. This statute allows for a COUNTY or an INDEPENDANT Ag Society to be established.

When choosing to form as an INDEPENDANT organization, this does NOT make that organization a private entity. An Ag Society that manages a fairground or creates a fair board to do so, is a political subdivision of the state of Ohio. In other words, ALL Ag societies created under ORC 1711 are public entities. See Greene Cty. Agricultural Soc. v. Liming (2000), 89 Ohio St.3d 551. (http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/rod/docs/ ... io-486.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

As all public entities are subject to the General Laws of the state of Ohio, Ag Societies must comply with ORC 9.68 regarding rules and regulations concerning firearms.

Under Ohio law, an Ag Society or fair board may post a "No Guns" sign on any building that is not primarily a rest area, shelter, restroom or parking facility. An Ag Society may NOT post any open area.

ALL Ag Societies formed under ORC 1711 are bodies corporate and politic, and may sue and be sued. ORC 9.68 allows for a court to award costs and attorney fees should your organization be sued.

Lawsuits under ORC 9.68 are easily winnable, but not profitable.

Because the Ag Society is earning money (such as admission fees) while violating a state law, a plaintiff may have a valid reason to ask for punitive damages to be awarded. A reasonable amount to ask for might be an amount equal to the gate admission fees for the last seven years (since ORC 9.68 has been in effect).

I would ask the fair board and the Ag Society to IMMEDIATELY remove any and all signage that restricts the legal open carry or licensed concealed carry of firearms within the fairgrounds.

Please contact me when you have removed the signs, or with a reason for why you have not.

Thanks!
MyWifeSaidYes
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

MWSY:

Thanks....

I normally don't consider OC as an "active" carry method - just the result of a cover garment going goofy....

(Let's not get into that fight here :D....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Stu-

Just so you know, I wasn't yelling at you with the CAPS ATTACK, just getting attention. :mrgreen:

Having several different sets of eyes looking at these things always helps.
MyWifeSaidYes
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

Is anyone still actively working on this? Morrow's signs are coming down, so I need a new Fair to work with getting into compliance with the law.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Darke County and Miami County need educated.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

I'm on Darke County... Miami is over for the year, so I'm SLIGHTLY back-burnering it for now... Let's focus on getting the current and upcoming fairs first.
CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

BriKuz wrote:Is anyone still actively working on this? Morrow's signs are coming down, so I need a new Fair to work with getting into compliance with the law.
I think we are waiting to see if MWSY hears from the Ag Society.

Canfield fair runs 8/28 through Labor Day.
"Who is John Galt?"

Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

If anyone goes let us know if the signs have come down.
CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

The fair is gearing up, officially starting this coming Thursday. I drove by this morning, and the signs are still up.
"Who is John Galt?"

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I sent off a slightly different letter.

Told 'em how excited I was to attend their fair this year.

And some other stuff.
MyWifeSaidYes