Jerome Township

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
scorchedtrumpet
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Jerome Township

Post by scorchedtrumpet »

I believe this is a violation of ORC 9.68, however I may not have a firm grasp on what 9.68 says so if I am wrong I apologize. The Jerome Township Hall, located in Union County has a park, aprox. 10 acres, with a pond for fishing and a softball field that is open to the public. The parking lot for the hall and park are one. The parking lot is posted right at the entrance with a gunbuster sign. The building is also posted. If I understand this right the parking lot is a violation of 9.68, but the building is not? If this is a violation where do I start to have this sign removed?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Jerome Township

Post by Cruiser »

You are 100% correct. The only place off limits is the building.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

My personal procedure:

Step 1) Contact the township board of trustees by email.

"Dear Trustees, I prefer to openly carry my handgun in a hip holster. I was informed that open carrying a firearm in the parks was not allowed. Since this goes against Ohio Revised Codes 9.68 and 504.04, I was hoping you could confirm for me what the rules actually are. Thanks!"

(Leave out the 505.04 if not a township)

Step 2) Wait for reply.

If reply is positive ("yes, it's legal"), then advise them that they have signage that should be removed/rules that thould be removed or modified/ordinances that should be modified or repealed. Ask them nicely when they think that will be accomplished.

If reply is negative ("no, you can't carry", or "no, you can only conceal"), you now have their admission of violation in writing. Point out that their township is violating a state law. Then ask them when they will be changing their rule/regulation/ordinance to avoid being sued under ORC 9.68. Remind them that ORC 9.68 allows for costs and attorney fees should they be sued.

Step 3) Wait for reply. They will typically reply that they will be consulting with, or forwarding the issue to, their attorney.

Ask them to please contact you when they make a decision on what they are going to do. Also ask them what will happen if their police or the county sheriff stops someone for carrying in a park prior to them updating their rules. Remind them that detaining or arresting someone for violating an invalid law could be considered a civil rights violation.

Step 4) Contact them every 60 days until something changes. The wheels of government turn slowly.

Step 5) If they decide to do nothing, or decide to ignore you, let us know. There are plenty of people here that would love to get together and have an open carry event in their park, preferrably one very close to their township offices.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/504.04" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(B) No resolution adopted pursuant to this chapter shall do any of the following:
(6) Establish regulations affecting hunting, trapping, fishing, or the possession, use, or sale of firearms;
MyWifeSaidYes
scorchedtrumpet
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Hey thanks for your help. That was quite detailed and exactly what I was looking for.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Done it a few times, so far.
MyWifeSaidYes
scorchedtrumpet
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

O.K. I wrote a letter to the Jerome Township trustees. Here it is and here is their reply. Now I wait.

Dear Trustees,
Recently I was supposed to attend a nephews ball game at Harry Wolfe Park. When I arrived I noticed a "No Firearms" sign at the entrance to the parking lot. I am currently licensed by the State of Ohio to carry a concealed hand gun, and was armed at the time. I had no choice but not to attend the ball game. Since posting that sign is contrary to Ohio Revised Codes 9.68 & 504.04, I was hoping that you could shed some light on what the rules for that park actually are. Thank you.

The “No Firearms” sign has most likely been posted at the entrance to the parking lot for years, long before the concealed carry laws went into effect. You are the first to notice or perhaps to abide by the sign, for which I give you credit. We, the trustees, have to look into the matter and perhaps remove all such signs on the Township property.

I’m sorry you missed your nephew’s ballgame. We will look into this matter and I will respond back to you.

Respectfully,
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

scorchedtrumpet wrote:O.K. I wrote a letter to the Jerome Township trustees. Here it is and here is their reply. Now I wait.

Dear Trustees,
Recently I was supposed to attend a nephews ball game at Harry Wolfe Park. When I arrived I noticed a "No Firearms" sign at the entrance to the parking lot. I am currently licensed by the State of Ohio to carry a concealed hand gun, and was armed at the time. I had no choice but not to attend the ball game. Since posting that sign is contrary to Ohio Revised Codes 9.68 & 504.04, I was hoping that you could shed some light on what the rules for that park actually are. Thank you.

The “No Firearms” sign has most likely been posted at the entrance to the parking lot for years, long before the concealed carry laws went into effect. You are the first to notice or perhaps to abide by the sign, for which I give you credit. We, the trustees, have to look into the matter and perhaps remove all such signs on the Township property.

I’m sorry you missed your nephew’s ballgame. We will look into this matter and I will respond back to you.

Respectfully,
Give them say, 30 days (more or less) to comply then follow up with another letter. Hopefully you can send a letter thanking them for promptly taking care of the error.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

That reply tells me they might move fairly quick. Give them 30 days to respond, then touch base with them if you don't hear back.
MyWifeSaidYes
scorchedtrumpet
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

I have not heard back from Jerome Township Trustees yet, it's only been 15 days, but I was driving by the park today and the gun buster sign was gone! Chalk one up for the good guys.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Great job!

Call or email the twp to say "Thanks!"

Who is your next project?
MyWifeSaidYes