Trumbull County Parks

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
greg l

Trumbull County Parks

Post by greg l »

Greetings all,
I would like some assistance. My wife and I were hiking in a new Trumbull County Park just dedicated this year in May. One of the posted rules is No firearms allowed. My questions are..can a County park post this? There is only a porta pot..no restroom...If they can't post which section of the ORC covers this??? I would like to contact them if they legally can't keep those of us with our CHL from carrying while in the park...thanks ...Greg
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Trumbull County Parks

Post by Cruiser »

If it is indeed a County Park, then the sign needs to come down.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
greg l

Post by greg l »

I just spoke with the parks director, either I read the sign wrong or the posting is open to interpatation..anyway concealed carry legal in all parks..some parks do not allow hunting so they decided to post "no weapons" kinda unclear but we are all good to go...Greg
docachna

Post by docachna »

greg l wrote:I just spoke with the parks director, either I read the sign wrong or the posting is open to interpatation..anyway concealed carry legal in all parks..some parks do not allow hunting so they decided to post "no weapons" kinda unclear but we are all good to go...Greg
Well, but I believe Open Carry is also legal in all parks. Wonder what his reaction to THAT is.....
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Bersa45

Post by Bersa45 »

open carry or concealed carry is allowed in all state and county parks if it is a private park it is up to the owner to post
OFCC member

3 seconds

Restraint when needed and action when required.

"Retreat? Hell, we're attacking in a different direction!" Major General O.P. Smith, November 1950.

Before a government can become a full-blown tyranny, the government must first disarm its citizens. The Founders of this nation, from their own experience, knew that when government goes bad, liberty evaporates and people die ... unless the people are armed. JPFO
fisher

Post by fisher »

Weapons ARE allowed.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I don't know about weapons, but firearms are allowed.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

Zachary Svette, Operations Director, opines that CC is allowed, but he doesn't know what OC is... I told him, but he's yet to get back to me... (takes him about a day an e-mail)
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

Just got this back...
Dear Brian

My legal counsel just got back to me on the legality of open carry. As it pertains to MetroParks concealed carry is fine and open carry is not.

Sorry for the delay wanted to make sure I was giving you the best answer I could.

Sincerely

Zachary Svette
I call BS, obviously, but I'm too slammed at work to form a good reply right now...
CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

I don't get that reply. How can one be legal and the other not?
"Who is John Galt?"

"So this is how freedom dies --- with thunderous applause."
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

Some stores, such as Fin, only allow discreet carry... that's private, they can do what they want...

I think that there are places that you can only carry legally with a CHL, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to carry discreetly. I cannot think of any instances in the State of Ohio where LEGALLY CC is okay, but OC is not...
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BriKuz wrote:Some stores, such as Fin, only allow discreet carry... that's private, they can do what they want...

I think that there are places that you can only carry legally with a CHL, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to carry discreetly. I cannot think of any instances in the State of Ohio where LEGALLY CC is okay, but OC is not...
I agree. Under R.C. 9.68, they cannot make that distinction unless they can point to a state or federal statute which allows them to make that distinction.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Werz wrote:
BriKuz wrote:Some stores, such as Fin, only allow discreet carry... that's private, they can do what they want...

I agree. Under R.C. 9.68, they cannot make that distinction unless they can point to a state or federal statute which allows them to make that distinction.
The sign on the door at the middleburg fin says that brandishing a gun in ohio is a crime,.... so they don't like open carry in there store i was going to call them on that,.... but thought about it and never said anything because the no gun sign may go up next.
Black Rifles Matter
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

steves 50de wrote:
Werz wrote:

The sign on the door at the middleburg fin says that brandishing a gun in ohio is a crime,.... so they don't like open carry in there store i was going to call them on that,.... but thought about it and never said anything because the no gun sign may go up next.
Have open carried there on several occasions. Nary a word was said.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

steves 50de wrote:
Werz wrote:

Can you get an image of that sign? The Ashland Fin just has a sign that says CHL holders are welcome to carry a loaded firearm as long as it is remains concealed. Naturally, anyone can bring in an openly carried firearm, unloaded and with an open action.

I think most people understand that the rules at The Fin and at gun shows are not intended to be anti-gun, but rather, are an attempt to idiot-proof those places. That's not always successful.

And, like it or not, some of the people who say, "But why are they applying that rule to me?!" are exactly the type of idiots they are trying to intercept.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.